New Visitor
wilbur111

Incoming Comcast landline phone call disconnects Comcast wireless Internet access

I have Comcast phone, Internet and cable TV.    When I am on wireless Comcast high speed (Blast) Internet on my laptop, and the Comcast home landline rings, the Internet access is disconnected.  Very frustrating. Any suggestions of how to change options to fix this?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Incoming Comcast landline phone call disconnects Comcast wireless Internet access

Do you have a Cordless Phone connected to the Cable Modem? Are you using a wireless router when the disconnect occurs? If so, you could go into your Router and change the wireless channel. Cordless phones many times are on 2.4gigahtz and so are wireless modems. So if you change your Wireless Router operating channel to channel 1 or channel 11 you might resolve your issue.
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Incoming Comcast landline phone call disconnects Comcast wireless Internet access

Besides Jim's suggestion (which would be my first thought), there is also the possibility that the EMTA is malfunctioning.  In older EMTA models, an incoming call would sometimes drop the cable modem side of things and cause this kind of issue.  Solution is usually to upgrade to a better EMTA, or get a seperate cable modem and have Comcast provision the modem for HSI, and the EMTA for phone service.

Also try seperating the EMTA and the wireless router, they might not like being close to each other.

New Visitor
dmfrej5o

I had the same issue.  If I was on my laptop and the phone rang I would lose my connectivity.  My cordless phone was about 8 years old (ancient in tech world) and was found to be running on the same frequency as my wireless router.  I just replaced the phone, which I had been meaning to do for a while anyway, and it works fine now. 

New Visitor
wilbur111

Thank you to all 3 responders.   The wireless router I rent from Comcast does not allow for different channels.  But it may well be that the problem is the cordless phone, which is an older model.  I will try purchase of a newer phone, assuming that will have a different wireless channel.  Wilbur111

Networking Expert
Baric

Get one of the DECT models if you want to go cordless.  They operate at the 1.9Ghz frequency range, which puts them out of reach of the 2.4 and 5GHz ranges use by wifi devices.