Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Installing a new CPU

I am probably making this more difficult than it will be but I am computer illiterate.  I am installing a new CPU. Do I need to do anything to gain access to my comcast connedtion other than just plugging it in?

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Re: Installing a new CPU

If your using wireless you will need password if its password protected and should be . If using Ethernet cable just hook up to modem or wireless router  port .

Connection Expert
EG

If you are connecting the machine directly to the modem you will need to properly powercycle / reset it (the modem).

Regular Contributor

By resetting the modem, do you mean to use a pen and push it in the hole marked "reset?"  I warned you I am alerter.  And I do not know what powercycle means.  

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

Power cycling/reset  , turn off modem , turn off wireless router , turn off computer . Then restart modem let light settle then turn on router, let light settle then, turn on computer .       

Regular Contributor

Thanks so much. I  have done that a million times but never knew what it was called.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

[ Edited ]

Your Welcome Glad I could Help !     Reset can mean reset to factory defaults . 

To many terms its like a different language !

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Regular Contributor

Yes it was. Thank you.