Visitor
rickystyx
Accepted Solution

Intermittent Signal Loss

Hello Comcast friends,

Here lately, I'd say in the last few weeks, I've noticed an unacceptable number of signal drops.  Sometimes power cycling helps, but most of the time I have to just wait out whatever connectivity issue is occurring.  The problem seems to be very random with no specific time frame.  When the service works, it works great.  But the frequent drops are getting to the "I'm not paying for this" stage.  Hopefully the collective audience here can assist.  Below are some technical details that might help pinpoint the issue.

Modem: Motorola SB6120

Service: Performance Internet (20/3)

Last Speedtest: Ping, 15ms; Download, 25.01 Mbps; Upload, 4.36 Mbps

Modem Status:

Downstream: SNR, 34 dB; Modulation, QAM256; Power Level, -13 dBmV

Upstream: Frequency, 36400000 Hz; Power Level, 57 dBmV

From the wall plate, there is one splitter for modem & cable box use.  The splitter is known to be good.  I haven't yet checked the box outside to see if/how many splits are present going to this wall outlet.

Any and all additional input will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Intermittent Signal Loss

You are on the right track by checking splitters and wiring, your signal is significantly out of spec.

Visitor
rickystyx

Thanks for the confirmation.  Follow up...  had a rep come out on Saturday and he was most helpful.  We found out a few things...

1) The cable modem wasn't on the best connector in the house.  We resolved this by moving the cables around on the splitter in the box outside to make a more direct connection to the modem.

2) Replaced the 3-way splitter for the cable box & modem for a 2-way.  I did not know that even an unused port on an additional splitter will still degrade the signal.

3) The rep still wasn't happy with the upstream power level, so he had a team tweak the downstream for my neighborhood.  Now my cable modem consistently hovers between 48 and 50 dBmV upstream power.

Overall very satisfied with the responsiveness of this forum, the phone rep with whom I scheduled the appointment, and the on-site rep who seemed to know his stuff.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Connection Expert
EG