New Visitor
Mrbayareax

Re: Intermittent drops - Motorola sbg6580

Hello guys, same problem here as well! Same modem. Started happening about 2 weeks ago.

I am also in San Jose, Ca

if you guys get any updates please let me know: mrbayareax@gmail.com

New Visitor
Swen2

VMI87,

Glad to hear you haven't had any disconnects. So how do we get the update? Has Comcast given any signs that they will do the push anytime soon?

Connection Expert
EG

Swen2 wrote:

So how do we get the update? Has Comcast given any signs that they will do the push anytime soon?

From earlier in this thread;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/Intermittent-drops-Motorola-sbg6580/m-p/117...

Contributor
nhbragg

I sent in emails to all the addresses listed in this thread. I got a call from the wecare center. She also tried to tell me that firmware can only be updated if I contact the manufacturer. I told her that's not how cable modems work. If it were a router then I would agree but this unit is not. She verified I was provisioned properly, but she didn't make me feel like she understood the issue and basically said there was nothing else she could do for me. I forwarded the link to this thread to her in email and haven't heard back. I fear we may just be screwed. I hope that maybe some open source groups like dd-wrt would come out with firmware for this device.
Contributor

nhbragg-

The situation is not hopeless.  The firmware provided by motorola is being field soaked (small live test) to insure that it 1) fixes the problem and 2) doesn't cause issues within the comcast system that would affect other customers.  Once this testing phase is completed (hopefully short and problem free!) the firmware will be pushed out to ALL customers in the Comcast system.  The intent is to not rush a new unknown firmware out when it could lead to other problems.  Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Also, as this device is a cable modem and router combined... DD-WRT and the like will not be possible for this device.

Connection Expert
EG

nhbragg wrote:
I hope that maybe some open source groups like dd-wrt would come out with firmware for this device.

Even if they did, how would it get installed ?

New Visitor
Swen2

EG,

I've read the entire thread. I was asking VMI87 If he had any news since he seems to be working with comcast on the testing.

New Visitor
dpslightom

I am experiencing the same issues as everyone else, but I can't seem to get through to the right person w/ Customer Service.  Anyone have any tricks/hints?? The Online Live Chat Analysts are like broken records because they all try the same "fixes" but nothing works.  

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

dpslightom wrote:

I am experiencing the same issues as everyone else, but I can't seem to get through to the right person w/ Customer Service.  Anyone have any tricks/hints?? The Online Live Chat Analysts are like broken records because they all try the same "fixes" but nothing works.  

There is nothing Customer service can do for you if you are having an issue with this particular Gateway. You'll have to wait for the update to be pushed to your modem. Customer service can not do this.

Contributor
mcclenj1

Add me to the list. I bought the SBG6580 about 5 months ago and it had been working great until yesterday. Now my internet drops often. Resetting the device will sometimes bring internet back, but only for a few minutes before it drops again. The wireless is working fine, and comcast support says the connection is working fine on their end, but I have no internet connection.

How can we see what firmware version we have?

Contributor
VMI87

[ Edited ]

To All - So far, so good - and that's been my report to Comcast.  I know others are field testing the firmware as well.  The only issue I've had (and it's not related to the firmware update) is that I had to disable SIP for my VOIP connections to work with decent quality. 

Again, to everyone that has contacted support and are not happy with your response, simply refuse to accept "we don't know" as an answer.  Ask to have your issue escalated to the next support tier, ask to speak to a supervisor, etc. - does this mean you'll get the firmware update any sooner? Probably not, but it does put a bigger spotlight on the issue.  If Comcast support works like other companies, they can't close a ticket, or issue, without customer concurrence.  Again, will this help those that are having problems immediately?  It still may not.  Comcast STILL needs work on getting information like this to it's customers, and the only way they'll be able to improve is for customers to open support incidents and let Comcast know that they are not happy. 

Now, in the defense of Comcast -

1. Comcast is aware of theissue. 
  2. They are aggressively testing the firmware release. 
  3. They will push the release out to the SBG6580 modems (both customer and Comcast owned) as soon as the testing passes all their quality assurance.  

@mcclenj1 - To see what firmware level you have, login to your device via a web browser, there is a menu bar up top, click on status, then click on the software link on the left side of the page.

You'll have a display like this:

modem.jpg

Contributor
donf99

I have version 3.1 and have had no connection issues since installing the gateway last December. However, v3.3 corrects a problem that prevents my VOIP box from registering. It also fixes the problem with the DynDNS update function, according to Motorola. I'm eagerly awaiting the 3.3 firmware push. I'm located in the far West Chicago suburbs.
Regular Contributor
MidnightCat

@i-am-nerdburg Thanks for the response.

@VMI87 Thanks for keeping us updated.

New Visitor
Dragma

Well, I am actually glad to see I am in the same boat as alot of others.  here is to hopeing that the firmware update will help.

I have not been hit as hard as many,  but it is still anoying when the modem goes down about once a day or so.

Contributor
nhbragg

I too am glad to see so many others with these units that were thinking the same thing when I bought mine, yay, no longer need two devices!

I've got mine bridged but have to reboot 2x a day due to slow or intermittant service. I will hope for the best.

Contributor
VMI87

Now seeing a new issue -

uncorrect.jpg

It appears that after about 3-4 days my download speeds drop to below 10mb.  A reboot takes them immediately back over 50mb.  Found another thread that if I set "Block Fragmented IP Packets" in the firewall menu then it improves the correctables/unocorrectables and could impact the eventual dropoff of download speed.  This also seems to be affecting the quality of VoIP connections as well (even with SIP disabled).  I'm seriously considering getting a Comcast owned DOCSIS 3.0 modem and revert back to a separate router to see if quality improves.

Contributor

I'm seriously considering getting a Comcast owned DOCSIS 3.0 modem and revert back to a separate router to see if quality improves.

I reverted back to my legacy SB5100 Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS2.0 w/ a DLink-655 router.  I have a SIPURA  SPA-1000 Ver:2.0.13 registered w/ no issues.

The Comcast online cable modem provision program is easy to use and there is no charge by Comcast (so far) to install different modems.  The program automatically comes up when it sees a new cable modem (new MAC address).  Make sure you have your Comcast Account Number on hand and your telephone number.  It takes about 5 minutes to install the new devce.

My service under DOCSIS 2.0 is just a bit slower but far more stable than w/ the SBG6580.  I use a DLink-Dir655 Router connected to the Motorola SB5100 cable modem.

There are some specific router settings in Firmware 3.0 for the SBG6580 to make the SIP line work.  I think there were other custom settings (other than the defaults) that reduced the number of disconnects and/or slow internet speed.  It's sort of hit or miss based on my internet searches.  A few were settings for the Firewall.  I never got an acceptable (for me) service connection using the SBG6580.

Too bad dd-wrt firmware can not be "flashed" into this hardware.  I have flashed two different Routers with the DD-WRT firmware ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index ).  It has loads of custom settings and a very powerfull status log that allows logging and measuring of real-time upload and download speeds.  I would suggest buying one of the used dual band routers on E-Bay (I bought the DLink Dir-825 for $30.00) and flash the DD-WRT firmware Ver. 24 SP1.  Check their database of their supported routers.

The DD-WRT solved my SIP problems (using various custom router settings). It would be interesting to test a DD-WRT router using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to see if you get the extra fast speeds w/o the problems of the intermitent discountects and/or resets.  At least with the DD-WRT Firmware you can customize your router setting for your SIP device, QOS and other special conditions.

Hope that helps.  FWIW also configured another router w/ the dd-wrt firmware to be a bridged wireless N connection from my PC to my internet router/cable modem, eliminating those ugly Cat 5 wires.  A very flexiable piece of firmware.

If you purchase and install a DOCSIS 3.0 cable only modem, keep up your test reports as I would like to know if that is what I should eventually upgrade to.

EKS

Contributor
dbottoms

I'd like to contribute.  I'm also awaiting news on the SBG6580 update to resolve the disconnectivity.  I made a post over here with my info - same as the rest of you:  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/SBG6580-3-1-to-3-3-Software-Update-Informat...

I've had 6 interactions with Comcast on this issue since November in total.  While customer service was nice (except for the one lady who just hung up on me), I've found the generic responses similar to what's already been shared frustrating and unhelpful as the rest of you.  I empathise that the low level technicians are just following scripts.  But it seems like customers are most definately getting  the short-end of the stick on this.

My two largest complaints are:

I've had a consistent message from Comcast advising me to purchase another Cable modem (SB16xx).  I think this response is not only irresponsible but greatly contributes to the community frustration.  If I took my car in for a clunking noise, and the service shop told me I had to buy another car I'd probably take my business else where. 

I've also been told by Comcast numerous times that Comcast will not patch a non-leased modem siting legal mumbo-jumbo. That's completely rediculous.  I believe industry practice accepts that sometimes devices have to be upgraded to resolve problems.  I'm a pretty simple user - I just want a stable internet connection at a reasonable cost.  I shouldn't have to lease a device to get help.  Imagine if your Blu-ray maker forced you to lease so you get software updates so the latest Blu-ray disk worked... or what about Microsoft forcing you to lease their operating system before you could get patches.  Seriously.  I think most of you agree that's arguement doesn't hold water.

Thanks,

Douglas

Contributor
chadsittner

I just talked with Comcast and Motorola. Bottom line, Comcast will not do anything for owed SBG6580's unless you pay for Preimium support and $39.95 signup plus $5.00 per month. Motorola will not give you the firmware because the problem is with Comcast only. Since this device is on the Comcast approved list I smell Class Action Lawsuit.

I am changing to AT&T.

Connection Expert
EG

Homework required..............

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

Guys i need some help, too frustrated to talk with support again. 

SO it all started i was gaming tonight, getting some massive lag, rebooted machine, still had issues rebooted the modem, after that, I would get three green lights, the bottom (world/globe) light was blinking. Rebooted the modem again. Still no dice. Contacted support they "reset it about 3 times" then told me to hold down the reset button on my modem. After asking her three times if this was going to erase my settings, she told me three times that it would not, I ended up taking a backup of my modem (luckily because it DID infact erase it) She then told me to let it sit for 10 min. 

10 mins later talk to someone else who sets up an appointment to come test the lines. My tvs work fine, so i take the modem up plug it into the coax that is going into the cable box, still same issues. 

A few interesting errors I am seeing in the event logs are:

when i power up the modem I will see this.

DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=<mac_number>;CMTS-MAC=<mac_number>;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 

I will also see "Connectivity State: Access Denied"

and "Waiting for DHCP"

power cycling the modem does not help, but sometimes i will get lucky and I will see this:

SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sbg6580_speedtier_c01.cm

Internet will connect but be INSANELY slow, I was able to speed test it at 2.5 down .5 up

After a few minutes of slow internet and watching the logs I will see this

SW upgrade Failed before download -TFTP Max Retry Exceeded 

My idea is (and i could be totally wrong, it's happened before LOL) is my modem is trying to get the new firmware........it tries and tries, and for some reason is failing. Is there anything I can do to have comcast force the update. I don't want them to powercycle the modem, because as soon as they do, I will loose ALL internet, and at this point my 2.5 down is precious. 

Any ideas as to A-) What is going on? and B-) How can I resolve this......especially without having to jump through the support hoops?

Thanks for any input. 

Contributor
dbottoms

@evil_hero -- I'd let Comcast come out and check your line if you've got the line protection plan on your account.  Its free to you save your time.  If you don't have the plan they might charge you a service fee. 

I have the plan, and I had Comcast come out a couple months ago when I upgraded to the SBG6580 and started noticing the intermittent disconnectivity.  Comcast did find a slight problem with the signal strength although it didn't resolve the intermittent disconnectivity with my SBG6580.  I didn't particularly notice any improvements.  But the Comcast engineer was really nice and very informative and seemed to know his stuff.  He talked with me about how the signal strength issue would have prevented me from getting the speed I'm paying for under certain situations (I have the Powerboost tier).  While I didn't notice any differences at Speedtest or other testing websites, I did get a peace of mind. Once the software upgrade for the SBG6580 is ready for primetime and is pushed to us, knowing my line is upto specs eliminates additional risks.

By the way, I got a nice tip from a forum regular to contact another member named ComcastSteve who seems to be on top of the SBG6580 issue.  You can reach him in the Comcast Direct forums.  Please report back anything noteworthy.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

evil_hero. A signal/connection quality issue may be preventing the gateway from accepting the firmware upgrade or the file itself may be corrupted. 

Try posting this issue to the attention of ComcastSteve at the CC Direct Forum here;

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

Let him take a look. He may be able to get it going for you with no hassle.

[Edit]

We really gotta' stop meeting like this dbottoms !!!  :smileysilly: :smileywink:

Contributor
dbottoms

One more general comment for everyone.  I see lots of people really angry at Comcast.  I share your frustration with mediocre customer service and misinformation.  My SBG6580 soft boots multiple times a day too.  However, from what I've read, this isn't just a Comcast issue.  People with the SBG6580 on other Cable providers, like Cablevision, are suffering the same disconnectivity problems.  It looks like the disconnectivity problem is related to the device itself on any DOCSYS 3.0 network.  If I were to be angry with anyone it would be Motorola.  I'm not defending Comcast necessarily. But, if anything, I see Comcast working on a solution (albeit at glacier speeds it seems each time my modem soft boots.)  My frustration is that Comcast could just be more transparent with customers that they are aware of the problem rather than the technicians who clearly have no idea are just giving us the run around.  

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

Well, I ended up calling comcast to cancel the service call. 

I talked to another rep about the issue, who ended up........resetting my modem, and I got stuck with the blinking light. I asked if there were any outages in my area, and he told me multiple times that there were none, but suggested that I keep the service call open. 

I left the service call open, and went to bed. Woke up this morning, did a quick speed test, and things were back to normal. On my drive to work I thought "meh I'm just going to cancel the call." right then I get a call from comcast saying "there has been an outage in your area. Your trouble call has been canceled and service should be working"

So I guess in the end things are working.

Contributor

Google now becomes the official owner of  Motorola . . .They will support your cable modem and even improveon it

Google has intriguing plans at the Googleplex

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_19949037

I suspect that the SBG6580 will eventual morph into the @Home GOOGLE BOX.  Who knows, maybe Comcast will be out of the picture in some of their major cities especially w/ the implementation of WI-Max.

Stay w/ GOOGLE as they are always innovating their products & services.  I eventualy expect a GOOGLE phone service too.

EKS

New Visitor
will4cani

Okay. Replying to my own post here.

Just got off the phone with Motorola who told me that the TLV notice we're seeing is due to the modem trying to reestablish connection with the CMTS (local plant/headend) and the lack of response from the modem GUI is because the resources are being tied up trying to make that connection. "This points to a signal problem."

(I had to go through Motorola's Tier 2 support and get a response from their engineering department just to get that answer.)

This answer, of course, makes perfect sense as many of us have had Comcast reps out who have confirmed that the signal levels are just fine.

The good news in this is that the new firmware 3.3.1 does seem to make this better - I've only had this issue crop up 3 times in the last 11 days instead of the multiple times per day it was happening before.

The bad news is that it is still happening and from the responses I've gotten I don't think either Comcast or Motorola have a real fix for it at this point.

New Visitor
will4cani

Spot on.

In trying to find out what's going on with this I've seen this issue is happening with 6580s on multiple cable providers - Cox, BrightHouse, Cablevision, etc.

I understand the frustration and Comcast is partially to blame here mainly because of the communication with those of us having the problem and the speed in which the firmware is being tested and rolled out. (Aggressive isn't the word I'd use.)

But Motorola is just as much to blame for not being more aggressive in fixing the issue with the cable providers. And in my last post where I was told that it's just a notice and that it must be signal issues feels to me like they're passing the buck back to the cable companies especially considering how much of an improvement I've seen with the new firmware.

I'm waiting for another call from Motorola to see what they come up with next.

Contributor

If motorola delivered properly working firmware out of the gate you wouldn't have MSO's like Comcast being cautious in their deployment of new firmware.

Motorola has a terrible history when it comes to firmware including new out of box modems that would not work at all until the firmware was updated. (5101u comes to mind). Not to mention the 5120's that went out to lunch everytime they took a DCC (dynamic channel change) from the CMTS. 

Connection Expert
EG

dottat wrote:

Motorola has a terrible history when it comes to firmware including new out of box modems that would not work at all until the firmware was updated. (5101u comes to mind). Not to mention the 5120's that went out to lunch everytime they took a DCC (dynamic channel change) from the CMTS. 

You have a good memory !  :smileywink:

Contributor
dbottoms

I've been a Comcast customer since 1993.  The "@home" brand moniker belonged to Comcast in the late 90's and early 2k's when one could get home phone voicemails emailed to you on the Comcast email network. 

Regular Contributor
MidnightCat

Just wanted to update you all on my own issue, not sure if it helps to the "notes" we have on this, but hey, why not.

So it looks like my gateway got updated with the 3.3.1 firmware. The errors on the logs seemed to have ceased for now, but I still do get a disconnect around once a day. Signal levels are fine as well as the signal to noise ratio as well.

Not sure where to go from here, but I'll keep reading this thread for updates.

Contributor
thedude2u

I'm having the exact same problems with my "owned" SBG6580.  My error log is full of entires like "unrecognized OID" and "no response received".  Got on a chat with tech support and they claimed that they could not upgrade a customer owned gateway and that I should lease a router from Comcast.  Why should I lease the same piece of hardware if the firmware is at fault?

I have to pull power to my gateway several times per day to restore the connection.  Speeds seem to be sluggush as well.  I really hope to get this resolved soon or I may just cancel and go back to using my MiFi from Verizon.  At this point, it is more reliable...

Contributor
OSO_USN

I don't know but it has been awhile Comcast tech rep previously indicated that they were working on this new version diligently. My question to Comcast is: how long would it take to release an update to correct the problem at this magnitude? There are lot of unhappy Comcast customers who are considering switching to FIOS, including yours truly.

Common Comcast gang let's get on with it please!! 

Contributor
OSO_USN

VM187,

Good informative posting but this is still  a waiting game. It is frustrating to all of us!

Contributor
OSO_USN

Consider yourself lucky. In Philadelphia, we practically have to beg to get support from Comcast.

Contributor
VMI87

[ Edited ]

In a prior post I had stated that even with the firmware upgrade (FYI - I'm a beta tester for this firmware release) I would see an eventual drop off of my throughput.  I had Comcast executive support check the issue and they had to make some changes on their end.  Since that change was made - I haven't had a single issue.  I thought some of my VoIP issues were being caused by the SB6580 so I ordered a SB6120 and was going to use that for a couple of weeks to compare the two.  Now after a week - I'm not certain I will need to do that.  So far so good.  And for those to continue to get poor support from Comcast - just refuse to accept "I don't know" or "It's not our problem" as an answer.  Demand to speak to a manager or supervisor and keep going up the chain until you get the level of support you expect.  I would imagine that Comcast upper management may not even be aware of many issues that some customers have.  Writing an actual letter to Comcast expressing your displeasure with the quality of their service with this modem and with the customer service your received may help.  (Well, it definitely won't hurt).

Regular Contributor
MidnightCat

It really disappoints me that most of the customer service reps seem to always insist that it's the device that is faulty when it's really not the case a lot of the time. What bothers me even more is the fact that they say that customer owned devices don't get firmware updates from them. You shouldn't have be asking for a supervisor all the time about these types of things. Oh well. :/

Contributor
hax0rmort

Everyone do a hard reset, I did and got bumped up to 3.3, I'm in Delaware. Happened 5am 2/17 :smileyhappy: extra options :smileyhappy:
Contributor

I was at my PC, lost internet and decided to go to logs to see if anything would show....

I saw this:

SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sbg6580_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm

Then I saw this:

SBG6580-3.3.1.0-GA-09-058-NOSH

New Castle County, Delaware @ 8:02AM.

Hard reset not required for me...  ( I was about to)

I find it interesting, the SW Download entry in the log is no longer there....

Contributor
Dragmawanderer

Looks like we got it as well.  I will keep track of the logs and report back.

Contributor
persesthagreek

[ Edited ]

No internet connection this morning, checked and updated to 

SBG6580-3.3.1.0-GA-09-058-NOSH

Pittsburgh, PA

I had to do a hard reset and then reset all wireless bridges and extenders. I noticed my upload speed on computers connected via wireless bridge had .5Mbps\3Mbps speeds from speedtest sites,  after reset back to 25Mbps\3Mbps.

I have had this device for since May 2011 and once the modem stopped being pushed the wrong boot file it worked great until this week.  I was seeing alot of random disconnects and such and resets, and the modem would not get a WAN Ip address until I would reset several times with a laptop connect via ethernet.  Will see how things go now, after the firmware.  

Note you can access the web interface with root and motorola and see more info, such as boot file and your cable modem ip address (Not your WAN ip address).

motorola_root_sofware.PNG

Software Screen as root.

motorola_root_sofware1.PNG

Found this root info in the saved configuration file, in plain txt if you open your saved file .bin using notepad.  You admin password is in there also.  plain txt. 

Contributor
hax0rmort

Weird, I have speedtier blast config file when I'm on extreme tier.

And I don't see my modem IP in the software settings page :smileysad:
Contributor
wzeallor

I'm updated and neither do I. I never have though.

Contributor
dbottoms

About 9:10am EST I noticed my modem behavior oddly also.  I just happened to capture this info from the log file.  Note that some of these log entries got removed during the two reboots. Download INIT seems interesting... look like Comcast tried to push an update?  I now seem to be at:

Software VersionSBG6580-3.3.1.0-GA-09-058-NOSH

I'll keep a close eye on my modem behavior over a hard core weekend of World of Warcraft pending my wife going into labor with our first baby boy !!  :smileywink:

Time      Priority      Description
 Fri Feb 17 09:08:20 2012       Notice (6)      SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sbg6580_speedtier_c01.cm
 Fri Feb 17 09:08:12 2012       Notice (6)      TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=00:23:ed:fa:2e:b9;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:31:bc:49;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established      Critical (3)      No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Fri Feb 17 09:12:52 2012       Notice (6)      TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=00:23:ed:fa:2e:b9;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:31:bc:49;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
 Time Not Established      Warning (5)      DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=00:23:ed:fa:2e:b9;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:31:bc:49;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
 Time Not Established      Critical (3)      No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out  

Contributor
persesthagreek

I got the update after 5 am also...

Contributor
Dragmawanderer

Well, we had our first drop after being pushed the new firmware.

Here is the event log:

Fri Feb 17 07:34:17 2012    Notice (6)   TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=1c:14:48:b1:e6:b5;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:3d:26:43;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;   Time Not Established   Warning (5)   DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=1c:14:48:b1:e6:b5;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:3d:26:43;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 

I had cleared out other events after the update just to make sure we did not get them confused.

Contributor
OSO_USN

I see the software update (3.3.1.0) is accomplished and let's hope this should resolve the connectivity issues. 

Stay tuned...

Contributor
thedude2u

Does anyone know if this update is being rolled out to customer owned gateways?  This would be a huge shame if I have to buy a new model just because Comcast refuses to update the firmware.  I have talked with Motorola and they are absolutely no help at all.  All they do is finger point. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own my equipment, should have stated that in my original post...  

Rec'd 3.3.1 firmware at 8:02AM in New Castle County, Delaware

Got a new IP address, too and the DynDNS function on the modem now works properly!

was 68.82.xxx.xxx
is 69.242.xxx.xxx