Contributor
ArtisticalMind

Internet Connection Slowdown

My internet speed at my grannies has slowed down drastically. My results on speedtest used to be 16~ mbps download and 4~ mbps upload.

Now the speedtest results are 1.5~ mbps download and .5~ mbps upload.

The setup is the same as it's always been.

(Yes she has comcast as well as we do at home.)

Cable from the Wall > Splitter > One Goes to the Modem & One Goes to the TV > Ethernet from Modem into Wireless Router > Wireless signal to Laptop

I've tried hooking my laptop up the router via ethernet and checking the speeds then. Results are about the same. Tried hooking my laptop directly to the modem via ethernet, but again the results are still about 1.5~ mbps download and .5~ mbps upload.

I've attempted rebooting the modem via the reboot/reset button and then powercycling the router and restarting my laptop, but that didn't help.

Just wondering if there's anything I can try before having to contact comcast directly.

Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

Re: Internet Connection Slowdown

[ Edited ]

Well sounds like you did everything you can on your end..

You should NOT reset your modem like that all you need to do is unplug it for a minute or two same with the Router then once the minute is up plug the modem back up let it bootup when that is done plug back in your router..

You should at the very least get 80% of your Rated speeds. I would give them a call..

Contributor
ArtisticalMind

[ Edited ]

Couldn't just unplug the modem because it has a 5~ Hour Battery.

The label on the battery said something along the lines of, "Do not remove the battery. To restart the modem simply press the reboot button."

Yea I guess I'm going to end up having to contact them directly.

New Visitor
froberts71

My internet connection in Hillsboro has slowed down in the past few days.. 

Contributor
joep1984

[ Edited ]

Portland here, connection went down from 15 to about 1.5 overnight, very frustrated.

Just checked my modem stats.  Channel 0 upstream has no power, 4 has 49.5.  Downstream power and SNR are within the limits.

Connection Expert
EG

ArtisticalMind wrote:

Just wondering if there's anything I can try before having to contact comcast directly.

Call in to confirm that the correct configuration file for you subscribed to speed tier is actually still loaded in to the modem.

Connection Expert
EG

ArtisticalMind wrote:

The label on the battery said something along the lines of, "Do not remove the battery. To restart the modem simply press the reboot button."

Have you actually tried doing that ?

Contributor
ArtisticalMind

[ Edited ]

If you're asking if I've tried the rebooting the modem thing then yes. Along with powercycling the router afterwards and restarting my laptop.

Yea I might call them tomorrow. Just kind of shocked me this happened at all really after using their services for so long and never hearing of this.

New Visitor
Girlgeek101

I did call and it didn't do any good. They can't do anything apparently.  So I'm switching to Verizon since Comcast doesn't seem to be much good unless a person comes out, and I don't have time to wait for them. The last time the guy came 5 minutes before the end of the work window.  As I expected the next guy that came fixed it using the settings in the box outside (so why did I need to take off from work). It seems I have to call, make appointments, explain the problem etc way to offen for what I'm paying. Anyway, I'm done. Verizon Fios offers much faster speeds.  Just waiting for my install before I cancel. 

Connection Expert
EG

Are you the original poster ??