Contributor
thor3

Internet connection dropping multiple times per day for the past 4-5 days

For the past 4-5 days I've been intermittently losing my Internet connection throughout the day. I use a router (D-Link DIR-655), but once the Internet connection is lost it is not restored when I remove the router and directly connect a computer to the modem (i.e. via wire). I can restore the connection by either power cycling the modem or disconnecting the coax from and reconnecting it to the modem. Once back up, the Internet connection will stay up for a varying period of time, from minutes to hours. The lights on the modem have all been normal: solid green, save the Link light, which flashes green.

I bought the modem just a few months ago, and although it was used it was in like-new condition. A tech is coming in a few days to troubleshoot, and I'd love to have a clearer picture as to whether the problem might lie with the modem, as currently I don't have a definitive reason to believe so.

On a previous visit a tech did install a -3.5dB splitter, which is why the downstream power level is so close to zero; I haven't tried removing it for any length of time because of this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Modem model: Arris TM822G

Signal Stats:

Downstream 1    0.94 dBmV    37.64 dB
Downstream 2    0.64 dBmV    37.36 dB
Downstream 3    0.86 dBmV    37.64 dB
Downstream 4    0.83 dBmV    37.64 dB
Downstream 5    0.73 dBmV    37.94 dB
Downstream 6    0.74 dBmV    37.94 dB
Downstream 7    0.96 dBmV    37.94 dB
Downstream 8    1.06 dBmV    37.94 dB

Upstream 1    48.25 dBmV    DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)
Upstream 3    47.75 dBmV    Mixed (TDMA and ATDMA)
Upstream 4    47.50 dBmV    DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Re: Internet connection dropping multiple times per day for the past 4-5 days

[ Edited ]

The modem keeps a memory of the MAC address of the device that is connected to it, and will not connect to anything else until it is powercycled or reset to clear it.  While there still may be an issue, you still can't just hook different things to the modem and expect it to connect without any problems.  Any time you change what's connected from it, it needs to be powercycled or reset.  The lights on the modem is the easiest way to tell if it's going offline, so take a look at them next time it goes down.  Chances are the modem is still online, and it's your router that is losing it's connection.

It says TG822g, does that mean you have Comcast phone service?  If the internet is down, but the phone is working, then you know its a pretty good shot it's your DLink.  You'll just have to take a look next time.

Connection Expert
EG

Ever notice if the upstream power intermittently fluctuates higher in to the 51-52 dB area ?

Contributor
thor3

bnaughty wrote:

The modem keeps a memory of the MAC address of the device that is connected to it, and will not connect to anything else until it is powercycled or reset to clear it.  While there still may be an issue, you still can't just hook different things to the modem and expect it to connect without any problems.  Any time you change what's connected from it, it needs to be powercycled or reset.  The lights on the modem is the easiest way to tell if it's going offline, so take a look at them next time it goes down.  Chances are the modem is still online, and it's your router that is losing it's connection.

It says TG822g, does that mean you have Comcast phone service?  If the internet is down, but the phone is working, then you know its a pretty good shot it's your DLink.  You'll just have to take a look next time.

I initially did believe the problem was with the router, primarily because I was at first able to swap it out with a direct wired connection to a computer and successfully regain the Internet connection (and the router is not cloning the computer's MAC address). However, this hasn't been the case for the last number of occurrences. As I wasn't aware a modem retains the last connected MAC address and refuses to connect to a device with a different one, I'm assuming that with my initial attempts the connection to the router had been down long enough for this state to reset.

I do have phone service, and when the Internet connection has been down, this service has remained active, and I remember all the lights on the modem appearing in a normal state (including the green blinking Link light, if memory serves).

Contributor
thor3

EG wrote:

Ever notice if the upstream power intermittently fluctuates higher in to the 51-52 dB area ?

No, I haven't, although I don't check the status of the modem often. I can however say that the upstream power has not differed much from these values when the Internet connection was down. I'm not sure if this is obvious, but without the -3.5dB splitter, the upstream power decreases by roughly that amount, so is in the neighborhood of 44 dBmV.

Contributor
thor3

If the problem is in fact with the router, I am surprised that power cycling it doesn't result in restoration of the Internet connection.

I just cloned to my router the MAC address of my machine, with the hope that the modem will not reject my connecting it directly the next time the Internet connection drops.

I've cancelled my tech appointment for the time being, as I'd prefer not to be charged $50 to be told my router is the culprit, as I'm already not looking forward to buying a new router (or modem, for that matter).

Thanks again for the help.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

[ Edited ]

Well you have a pretty new, high-end eMTA, and since the phone still works, it isn't really showing signs that it's going offline, but that doesn't rule out an issue with it.  How long has it been since you factory reset the router, and checked for a firmware update?  I found myself without internet today too, and ended up having to do that.

For a DLink DIR655, you can either factory reset from its interface or by holding the reset button for between 20 and 30 seconds.

Take down your current wireless information first.

The IP address to access the interface will be http://192.168.0.1 with admin for the user and leaving the password blank empty

You'll want to be hard-connected to the router for this.

Click 'Wireless Settings', then 'Manual Wireless Network Setup' and give it the same information it had before.  The SSID, WPA2 Personal if available, and the 'Network Key'

Also check for a Firmware Update

I know it sounds like I'm saying it's your router, but if the service isn't going down, it's best to work backwards until you find the issue.  It's either going to be the router needing to be reset and reconfigured, and / or possibly the ethernet cord may be starting to go, or it could even be the actual ethernet slot on the eMTA having trouble.

Also, with your setup, the easiest way to try and restore service, is go straight to the modem and hit the reset, without even powering down the router.  A lot of times, it will just start to work.  In my case it didn't, so I redid the whole network.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

thor3 wrote:

If the problem is in fact with the router, I am surprised that power cycling it doesn't result in restoration of the Internet connection.

I just cloned to my router the MAC address of my machine, with the hope that the modem will not reject my connecting it directly the next time the Internet connection drops.

I've cancelled my tech appointment for the time being, as I'd prefer not to be charged $50 to be told my router is the culprit, as I'm already not looking forward to buying a new router (or modem, for that matter).

Thanks again for the help.

Back when I worked there, there was a pretty extensive knowledgebase that was hardly looked at and never mentioned in a training.  It had a really good job sheet on how to powercycle the modem properly, and spoke about the MAC address being kept in memory.  Through experience though, I found the easiest way to fix it was to just reset the modem from the Comcast end, or take off the coax and put it back.  If I saw multiple calls about the same issue, but the modem historical plots showed an online modem all week (longest the charts stored), I attributed it to the router and did basic troubleshooting with it, or xferred them.  Just depends how they were acting.

Cloning the MAC may make things easier, but just to see how things work out, I'd reset it and set it back up.

Contributor
thor3

Thanks. Since cloning my computer's MAC address to the router, I've been able to hot-swap the router for the computer and successfully regain the Internet connection, so it appears you are correct that the modem retains the MAC address of the last connected device. Also, this success points even more strongly to the culprit being my router (especially as when I conversely switch the computer out for the router the Internet connection is lost again).

Firmware updates for the DIR-655 have been notorious for causing more problems than not, and because of this and that my router has worked as expected to date, I've chosen not to update. However, because of this current issue and that the alternative is likely buying a new router, I've given the newest firmware a go, and am hoping for the best.