New Visitor
jwilliams31

Internet down every morning

At this point, this is more of a vent, since I haven't called Comcast yet and haven't really tried to diagnose much other than rebooting the modem, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this issue.

For the last 3 or 4 days, I've been waking up to find my internet down.  I tried rebooting the modem, but that doesn't work.  I have the RCA/Thomson DGH536 modem.  The first light is on solid and the second light (I think it says "DS") is blinking.  After a few hours, the Internet magically fixes itself.  It seems to come back by 8:30 - 9:00am each day.

I looked at the event log on the modem, but it doesn't go back very far, making it pretty much useless.  I just turned logging on on my router to see if that will give me a timeline, but won't know until tomorrow.

I'm in DeBary, FL if there are any others out there with similar issues.

I've never had Comcast before, but I've heard the horror stories.  My only issue that that I have no other options (believe me, if I did I'd take them).  There is no DSL to my house and obviously Comcast is the default cable company.

Anyway, I'll update tomorrow if it goes down again.  Hopefully the log will show when it goes down and comes back up.

Thanks for reading.

Jason

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Internet down every morning

Welcome to the Forum. 

Do the outage timeframes relate to low tenperatures in your area?

New Visitor
jwilliams31

Yes, actually.  It's been freezing here (in the 20's) the last few nights.

I was kind of thinking that it seemed interesting that it would die overnight and then come back up once the sun comes up...

Connection Expert
JamesR

Might wantt to call 1800Comcast and report it to have them look into it for you.

Call them while it is down so that they can see the outage.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The temperature relationship might be because some physical wire is shrinking with the cold and then warming up and making a connection again.

Your television connection is okay?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

BethKatz wrote:

The temperature relationship might be because some physical wire is shrinking with the cold and then warming up and making a connection again.

WIW, this is known as connector/fitting "suckout".

New Visitor
jwilliams31

I'm only using Comcast for Internet, not TV. 

I'll have to check the connections.  It wouldn't suprise me if something was questionable.  The contractor that installed it (it wasn't a Comcast tech), didn't seem to be the sharpest.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Could be the wiring from the pole to the house or it can be a problem in the main lines affecting other customers.. if a tech comes out he should be able to check and see if modems nearby to you are doing the same thing. 

Connection Expert
EG

KevN2009 wrote:

if a tech comes out he should be able to check and see if modems nearby to you are doing the same thing. 

Wouldn't this need to be done remotely by them from their end by someone polling the CMTS for a historical plot using their tools via SNMP ?

Regular Contributor

Yes it would be done remotely if the tech does not have access to the tools on his laptop.. However it's a good tool to help troubleshoot a larger intermittent problem...

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

To my knowledge many techs only carry an SLM.

New Visitor
jwilliams31

Well, just a quick update.  This morning it was around 45 degrees and the Internet did not die.  Guess it is a temperature thing.

Interesting...

Connection Expert
JamesR

Problem may have resolved itself.  On the other hand you might want to document Outages, temperatures and dates for reference if you need to call for a truck roll.

New Visitor
Jeremy1988888

My internet doesnt work and freezes alot from about 1am-10Am, im from Washington State

New Visitor
Jeremy1988888

i also called comcast twice earlier and they hang up on me while i was saying my address.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Call again.