Contributor
edsnowden

Re: Is Comcast blocking Netflix?

The only recourse is to vote with your wallet. Hopefully you have an alternative ISP. 

Contributor
edsnowden

[ Edited ]

jth182 wrote:

Anon1532942 wrote:

@jth182

"So is there any way for me to get superHD on my PS3 right now?  I don't understand about proxies, VPNs, or SSH..."

Nope, sorry.  Change ISP's or watch at 4am.

I'm a night person so I regularly watch at 4am and am still capped to 720p @ 3000kbps when just weeks ago I was getting full 1080p "Super" HD.  It will not go over 3000kbps even on my hard wired PC which is on a 50/10 Blast plan.  Most of the time I only get sub-SDTV quality though.

Keep in mind that Comcast is not interested in providing the content that you desire over a fast and reliable Internet connection. Only interested in maximizing profits so they can pay the fat cats with golden parachutes while expending the least amount of effort and expense. You loathsome cutomers. Now off with your heads for expecting premium service to go with your premium price. 

Contributor
edsnowden

Like this isn't a power play.

Meredith Atwell Baker FCC comissioner joins Comcast.
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/f-c-c-commissioner-to-join-comcast/?_r=0

Contributor
edsnowden

[ Edited ]

ComcastKevin wrote:

edsnowden wrote:

They are not blocking it but they are throttling Netflix traffic.

It is obvious that traffic-shaping is being performed to restrict access to Netflix content.

I cannot get more than 1 Mb/sec when using Netflix on any of my devices.
However, Once I encapsulated that traffic with SSH then my speeds went into the several Mb/s range and HD was
available.

returning to non-encapsulated traffic resulted in the same 1 Mb/sec restriction.

I would need more information and data from your test, but the fact is: Comcast is not doing any traffic shapping of Netflix traffic.

If your ssh test was a tunnel that made it appear that you had a different IP address, it is very possible that Netflix chose a different CDN to serve you which could have had different performance.  Another test would be to use a proxy (non encrypted) which uses the same IP address as the ssh tunnel IP that is giving you good performance.  That would suggest the theory that beoir 

Let me say it again: Comcast is not doing any traffic shapping of Netflix traffic.

So ComastKevin what is your response? Why is it that Comcast will not provide their customers with the content that they desire? what it costs a few bucks. it's referred to by many the expense of doing business. 

Official Employee
ComcastKevin

Summary of this thread

[ Edited ]

Folks, I feel many of the questions are getting repetitive and have been previously answered. I'll try and summarize what has been said before:

•  Comcast does not throttle or block any applications on the Internet. If you are having a quality broadband experience, good Comcast and speedtest.net results, good streaming from many, many sites, it is highly likely your problem is sourced, and can be fixed by the owner of the specific application you are having a problem with. You should also Google/Bing other ISPs to see if something is unique to Comcast or external.

• Application problems happening at peak vs. non-peak typically signify a possible capacity issue somewhere along the end to end path at peak time. It could be an overloaded server being used by the application, the ISP chosen by the application or your broadband. Comcast manages the capacity of your broadband and issues would be noticed across many applications, as the application specifically decides which server to use and which ISP to use to reach Comcast.

• Most large scale applications use many CDNs that exist to deliver their service. You may have heard of Akamai, Limelight, Level 3-CDN, Edgecast, etc. Some also use their own internal CDN, or a combination. Each of these options are decisions by the application and can be made at an IP by IP address level in real time. This is why performance may look different if you "change" your IP via tunnels, VPNs or proxies. Even though you are still using the same broadband connection, you are getting different performance. It also shows the capability exist to give you better performance at peak by better application decisions.

• Comcast is directly connected to dozens of ISP with well over 1000 different connections to these ISPs. The server or application chooses which path to use has many, many ways to reach Comcast and it is important to note again that the application is the one that decides which path to use to reach you, not Comcast. Some have suggested that Comcast chooses to send traffic in specific ways, and this is exactly opposite of how this works. Comcast equally announces your IP addresses to all ISPs and multi-homed applications pick which ones to use to reach you.

The Internet is a network of network with many players involved. Comcast has direct control and is responsible for your broadband experience. We always work with all Internet players to try and fix issues, but in the end is up to 3rd parties to make decisions on what servers they use, where they serve traffic from and which (of many many) paths exist to reach our network.

Sorry I don't have a quick fix, but be assured the right people are aware and working issues like this.

MORE TECHNICAL

For those with more technical knowledge and interest you can use tools like netstat on PCs and tcpdump on macs/unix boxes to determine the source CDN being used to reach you. The path which is used is a bit more complex due to asymmetric routing, but it is at least a good analysis to isolate the CDN information.

Regular Contributor
116werner

They might be answered but are they the correct answers? Aside from answers there is obviously no resolve. So what's your point?
Contributor
smi1ey

Re: Summary of this thread

[ Edited ]

I finally made an account on this forum just to say that I appreciate ComcastKevin's summary. I got a few pages into this thread, then jumped to the end due plenty of repetetive posts. While you may not agree that Comcast isn't throttling data (I'm on the fence myself), everything Kevin stated about how the internet and streaming works is absolutely true. CDNs play a huge role in services like Netflix, but in my opinion, that doesn't leave Comcast with zero responsibility on the matter.

That said, I have now had Comcast in three different locations in my city (Sacramento, CA), and also had Surewest (fiber) for a time. With Surewest I paid for 50mbps down. I literally never had a single issues with Netflix streaming, or anything else. Then I switched to Comcast at the same location with 50mbps down and 25mbps up, and literally that day Netflix and Amazon switched to SD quality. 

Since then, I have had Comcast at two other locations, with the same result every single time. If it's in the morning, everything works great, but if it's the evening, I can't get more than SD in either Amazon or Netflix. Other streaming services like CrunchyRoll work fine during "peak hours," but the major services do not. During the same evening time, I can download a 10GB game from Steam at 7MB/s (megaBYTES) without any issue or stream a movie from a "lesser" online service at full HD without any problems. It's only Amazon and Netflix that are effected by this. It's the same issue across all devices (MBP, PC, Xbox One, etc).

I agree with Comcast that CDNs absolutely can be part of the problem, but how is it possible that every single CDN I've been put on by Netflix with Comcast blows, but the ones with other ISPs work fine? Situational evidence may not hold much water in a court of law, but there's definitely some relevence to it when it comes to this situation I should also mention that I've yet to talk to a friend who has Comcast and doesn't have the same issue. Recently I went to my mom's house, who has a pitiful AT&T connection of around 5-7mbps, and she got full HD when I tested it that evening.

Comcast may never admit they are wrong, but I really hope what Kevin said about people working on this is true. With everything Comcast has announced in the past about throttling, data caps, etc, the situational evidence is starting to really pile up. If Comcast was able to work out this issue with major streaming video providors, I would have absolutely no issue sticking with them, as the service has been extremely fast, and extremely reliable. As of now, I'm just waiting until I can move to switch back to SureWest. I would love to not have to do that.

Cheers!

Visitor

The Netfix/Amazon issues are easy to understand when you consider that Comcast is primarily in the media delivery business (cable TV), and only secondarily an ISP. Their TV business is seriously threatened by Internet sources of the same content -- as in Netflix and Amazon. Awhile back they threatened to throttle anyone exceeding 250 gigs a month. They have backed off that, but still meter usage. Think of it as a Netflix/Amazon meter. I suspect senior management at Comcast is in a quandry. What to do? The wolf is at the door. As more and more media is streamed over the Internet, their cash cow, cable TV, slowly starves. Over the next four or five years this thing will probably work itself out, but in the meantime, anyone who streams video over the Internet has become the enemy. Personally, I don't care to do business with someone who sees me as the enemy. Who would?
New Visitor
miles_monroe

Is my problem Netflix or Comcast or ?????

I'm a Comcast Internet newbie, upgraded from ATT DSL to Comcast Cable Internet 3 days ago. I have an issue that I would like help trying to find where the problem is.

2 nites ago Netflix was unwatchable. It would stop and reload way too often - at the end it was literally every minute. I gave up.

Last nite Netflix played without this issue - but the quality of the video was like watching regular tv. Not as good as I had the first day I had service.

So where do I start looking? Speedtest shows me generally getting 28 mps. The nite I had to turn Netflix off I was getting 10 mps which according to Netflix is sufficient. I didn't check last nite. Any help much appreciated!

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Re: Is my problem Netflix or Comcast or ?????

[ Edited ]

miles_monroe wrote:

I'm a Comcast Internet newbie, upgraded from ATT DSL to Comcast Cable Internet 3 days ago. I have an issue that I would like help trying to find where the problem is.

2 nites ago Netflix was unwatchable. It would stop and reload way too often - at the end it was literally every minute. I gave up.

Last nite Netflix played without this issue - but the quality of the video was like watching regular tv. Not as good as I had the first day I had service.

So where do I start looking? Speedtest shows me generally getting 28 mps. The nite I had to turn Netflix off I was getting 10 mps which according to Netflix is sufficient. I didn't check last nite. Any help much appreciated!

Thats what this thread is about its not your connection speed it has something to do with Netflix/Comcast and it needs to be solved before they both start loseing customers. One thing is comcast needs to understand we dont want there tv service and trying to force it on us by makeing streaming quality low is not going to make us give up and order there rerun/commercial filled tv garbage. Streaming is the future stop trying to fight it comcast and get with Netflix and work this out. :smileyangry:

Contributor
BooR4dley

Since this issue seems to be due to issues on Level3's CDN servers and Comcast doesn't seem to be interested in actively pursuing the issue I suggest we go directly to Level3.

The contact form at their website is at the following address
http://www.level3.com/en/forms/contactformb/

Their phone number is 877-2level3
New Visitor
cftp

1. Had problems with Netflix streaming over Comcast during evening hours.
  2. Read this thread.
  3. Cancelled Comcast.
  4. Picked up CenturyLink DSL.
  5. Still see Netflix problems streaming during evening hours.   (!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  6. Speed test for the DSL while I'm seeing Netflix problems: 1.68 Mbps down, 0.28 Mbps up.  Not the fastest connection ever, but certainly enough to support a video stream.
  7. I don't think the problem is with Comcast.
Regular Contributor

@cftp

A 1.65 Mb/s speedtest is probably not adequate to support video streaming.  A true 1.65Mb/s average download rate would support low quality video, but you are probably not getting that bandwidth all the time.  I don't know what the lowest bandwidth required is, but for HD you need 3Mb/s video bandwidth, which seems to translate to nearly 4 Mb/s total average bandwidth including overhead.  The problem most in this thread are seeing is a 25Mb/s (or higher) speedtest while getting poor Netflix.

Silverlight (Netflix on your PC) has a bandwidth measurement feature.  While streaming, press Shift-Alt and click on the video. Select A/V stats.  Latest Bandwidth Measurement is indicated.  This is the effective Video Bandwidth, not including overhead.  It also says how much is buffered and what rate it is playing at.

Contributor
petroff1210

Tonight, at about 5:45 p.m. eastern, my kids started watching a movie on Netflix.  It loaded in HD.  I had to leave a little later, but it played in HD for at least 15 minutes.  That hasn't happened at night in 3 months!  When I sat down to watch a show at 8:30 tonight --- boom --- low quality.

All I can figure is everyone was watching football so bandwidth was not an issue.

By the way, this morning I watched a 45 minute episode of a show in full HD the entire time.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I've said before, in Seattle at 1845, I can stream Netflix to my computer in HD, showing a bitrate of close to 40Mbps.  I'm currently on a dual stack (IPv4/IPv6) that was enabled in the fall.  I've had some issues (DNS) and have been experimenting with disabling the IPv6.

Tonight, when I first tried Netflix, I found that I was streaming at around 1.8Mbps.  At the same time, speedtest.net was showing 58Mbps (I have BLAST).  I realized that IPv6 was disabled and I reenabled the IPv6 and presto, I was streaming at 30-40Mbps.

Just an observation.  Still no sign of Black Helicopters.

Contributor
Kaze105

Ill probably have to cancel my comcast.

I get around 6Mbps TWC at a different location and I can view twitch and netflix better than I can at my current location with 25Mbps Comcast.

Weird thing is that this just started this year. Last year in december, I was able to watch twitch and play games at the same time. (multiple monitors) At the moment, I suddenly cannot.  I used to watch twitch with source, and now i can barely watch it at medium. Netflix just gets stuck and numerous online games lags horribly even its the only thing using the internet.

I did try a few things I can from my side such as changing dns, changing routers, modems, but no change.

Contributor
_George_

Plummerl,

Setting an IPv6 tunnel helped me as well (just like using VPN), but isn't it because IPv6 runs different routes? I'll do some testing and post later.

For interested, link below describes the process of setting free IPv6 tunnel:

http://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/1ovnsw/meta_fix_netflix_slowness_with_a_free_ipv6_tunnel/

Contributor
petroff1210

_George_ wrote:

Plummerl,

Setting an IPv6 tunnel helped me as well (just like using VPN), but isn't it because IPv6 runs different routes? I'll do some testing and post later.

http://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/1ovnsw/meta_fix_netflix_slowness_with_a_free_ipv6_tunnel/

I tried setting up an IPv6 tunnel and apparently I did something wrong.  When I tested the connection at test-ipv6.com, I got the following:

• No IPv6 address detected
  • You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Performance on Netflix and speeds are the same.

I figure I entered some numbers wrong.  The info my router was looking for didn't quite match the example.  I'm using a D-Link DIR 615 router.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Contributor

_George_ wrote:

Plummerl,

My reference to IPv6 was only as far as enabling IPv6 in the adapter.  I am not using tunneling or VPN.

New Visitor
Erik_J

I am having issues with Netflix giving me 'your internet is to slow.. do you really want to view' all the time now. Not just prime time.. but also off time.. Checked with Speedtest.net.. and internet connection is fast. Streamed Amazon Prime.. also no problem.. So it is a selective issue with Netflix access

Contacted Netflix and they told me that there is an issue at the network handoff with Comcast and that Comcast has gone publicly on record that they are throttling the service (or rather not expand the hand off bandwidth). Called Comcast.. service rep confirmed that my internet is up running and fast, and after some prodding confirmed that Comcast has decided not to join an 'open exchange' connnection since they provide other streaming services such as Xfinitiy (sic!). So the Netflix traffic seems to be throttled at the hand-off. They offered to refund the days I had bad connection, which is fine, but offered no resolution to the problem.  I insisted that it goes on record with my account, that if they do NOT fix it, that I will take my business some place else. Seems like Comcast wants to push their own streaming service over Netflix. If I pay for large bandwidth and speed the benefit is with streaming, not some website browsing.  I expect to get that bandwidth to the source especially with a popular service like Netflix. Since I could stream Netflix while travelling no problem, it's not a Netflix issue, but a Comcast issue, or rather a stand off between the two of them. Either way, OTHER internet providers are not having this issue.

I am frankly upset... been a long standing Comcast customer, but if this doesn't resolve soon, I'll go to DSL. At least they don't have a competing TV service, so no conflict of interest. Can't quite get the same speed then on Comcast, but then.. if what you need it for is not available.. you don't need it.. Right?

Regular Contributor
116werner

Some of you people realize that just because you have no issues does not indicate others won't. It's more of a throttling issue based on your region. The other day I was told on one if these forums that they contacted a supervisor at my local tech office. By this point I filed my complaint with the FCC. I was later contacted and explained my issue and suspicions as well as made note that I filed said complaint. By the next evening all my throttling issues were gone. Go figure.
New Visitor
cestlamerde

The problem is there is no one at Comcast who, in my experience on line or on the phone, can do anything other than offer to reset your modem. I have it in writting from Netflix that Comcast is throttling content. This is a link Netflix sent me to:

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

The last person I chatted with (I can't waste any more hours on the phone) suggested that I can watch youtube so therefore there is not an issue with Netflix. With this kind of clueless customer service, it would seem that Camcast is never going to do anything other than take your money and continue to insist on resetting your modem.

New Visitor
canonken

(For reference, I get 25/5, 5ms ping all day, every day, no matter whan time of day or what day.  I have undergone hardware testing/troubleshooting with both Netflix and Comcast, as well as all in-home troubleshooting, including my modem being hooked directly into my desktop with an ethernet cable)

I live in Minneapolis, MN, and have had crippling issues as experienced by many in this post (HD streaming off-peak, and SD or no streaming in the evenings).  Like these other customers, during peak (when Netflix is very slow, but everything else is just as fast), every other video streaming service I use snaps to HD in <5 seconds.  Raw download speeds (for example, a 500MB .pdf) are no faster or slower than 6AM.  The 'tipping point' was after Christmas, when Netflix ground to a halt in my home.

Netflix points to Comcast.  Comcast points to Netflix.  Comcast's technical support was defensive and hostile when I raised the question (though we did go through their equiptment checks, with no resolution - other than they agree my hardware is in perfect working order).

Ultimatly, my question is this: everything else on the internet is fast.  I can stream Netflix in HD over 4G on my 3 year old phone, my neighbors with the competitors *slower* internet can stream Netflix in HD, yet on my very fast Comcast internet, Netflix barely works in SD during peak hours.  It is very hard to not think it is a Comcast bottleneck when everything thing and everyone else is working fine.

If Comcast would like to look at my individual account, I would be delighted to politly and maturly speak with them.  I'm not looking for a flight, I am simply looking to stream Netflix in HD.  I've been happy with the service for the past 3 years, but now I am looking at the alternative available in my neighborhood as the final solution.

Regular Contributor

ElCastor wrote:
The Netfix/Amazon issues are easy to understand when you consider that Comcast is primarily in the media delivery business (cable TV), and only secondarily an ISP.

I try not to be too cynical but I've had the same thought. Regardless of whose fault it is, Comcast has little incentive to help resolve the problems. Anyone who gets frustrated and cancels their Netflix service, as I'm considering myself, is a bonus for Comcast.

Regular Contributor
loisvan

Plummerl--

Can you explain step by step for the technologically challenged how to do this?

Your said:

"I realized that IPv6 was disabled and I reenabled the IPv6 and presto, I was streaming at 30-40Mbps."

How do I re-enable the IPv6?  I have no idea what you are explaining.

Thanks for the help.

Regular Contributor
116werner

Netflix provides you media via the internet. Comcast provides the internet and also provides media with stream pix and cable. How can people be so nieve to not realize what's going on here and actually not believe it's Comcast?
Contributor

loisvan wrote:

Plummerl--

Can you explain step by step for the technologically challenged how to do this?

Your said:

"I realized that IPv6 was disabled and I reenabled the IPv6 and presto, I was streaming at 30-40Mbps."

How do I re-enable the IPv6?  I have no idea what you are explaining.

Thanks for the help.

The following would assume that you have what I have, Windows 7 (anything else, just Google the followin description), but first, two requirements would have to be met.  One, comcast is supporting IPv6 at your location and two, your Docsis 3 modem supports IPv6 (as well as any equipment between you and the modem). The Docsis 3 listing that Comcast has, indicates the IPv6 capability.

Normally, if the above is in place, your computer (Windows) should have enabled IPv6 under the covers.  You can check if it is active by opening a Command Prompt and typing  ipconfig/all.  This will show the adapter settings, among which, will be information concerning IPv6, if active.

If not, you can open the Control Panel, select Network Sharing Center.  On the left, select Change adapter settings.  Right click the adapter that you use for the network and select Properties.  If the item Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)is shown and is not checked, check it and click OK.  IPv6 will be enabled immediately, no restart required.  You can reverse this by simply repeating the properties dialog and unchecking IPv6.

You can check the IPv6 by repeating the Command Prompt command.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding IPV6, if you are configuring an IPV6 tunnel via Hurricane Electric, then you are probably routing differently to Netflix from their router.  Interesting though.

@plummer1

Since you are actually using IPV6 on your machine, it must be enabled in your area.   You are a lucky guy.

Currently IPv6 is deployed by Comcast in various states, including Washington (in Sept).  I expect that when you enable IPV6 you get routed differently and avoid the bottleneck.  There could be various reasons for that, and an IPV6 compatible traceroute would be required (I think) to determine how you actually get to the Netflix server.  Not that it really matters.

BTW, to enable Native IPV6 (not a tunnel) you need an IPV6 compatible router and a DOCSIS3 Cable Modem and IPV6 deployed by Comcast in your area.

See http://www.comcast6.net/index.php/8-ipv6-trial-news-and-information

Regular Contributor

@116werner

It would be simple if what you said were true since Comcast would be sued, and fined by the FCC.  Open and shut case and easy to prove by Netflix/Level3.  Unfortunately it is more complex than that.  Comcast is essentially forcing Netflix/Level3 to throttle their own content by demanding more money for increased infrastructure/bandwidth.  Comcast is the bad guy here, but not like you think.

If I am wrong, then the lawsuits and fines will be in the news soon. 

Regular Contributor
sarper

Guys,

Cool your jets, I can attest that Comcast is not throttling or packet-shaping. The problem is simply that everybody generally watches Netflix at the same time. Between the load on the routing tables and end-point servers Netflix can come to a crawl.  Look at it this way, there are only approximately 4 dedicated Netflix servers per region. Now divide those 4 5Gbps dedicated server mirrors by 1,000,000 customers trying to stream 30Mbps of data and you get 30Gbps of data for a load that can only handle 20Gbps. Therefore the netflix servers must throttle the clients to maintain connections with everbody.

Sarper

Contributor
Canker

Snaper if you read any of this thread you would know that isn't true.  Netflix on comcast at home big sucky, Netflix at work 3 miles away on a different ISP same time of day super good.  People are tethering their phone to their computer just so they can watch Netflix because it is lousy on Comcast and it only just started happing this month.  I doubt bandwidth demands increased that much from the end of December to the 1st of January.

New Visitor
bt66

Re: Netflix slow

I have the same issue & only with Netflix. Called customer service a few times & it does not help. Any suggestions before I pull the plug with Comcast. This is unacceptable when I am paying $80.00+ for top speeds.
Contributor
petroff1210

Anon1532942 wrote:

Regarding IPV6, if you are configuring an IPV6 tunnel via Hurricane Electric, then you are probably routing differently to Netflix from their router.  Interesting though.

@plummer1

Since you are actually using IPV6 on your machine, it must be enabled in your area.   You are a lucky guy.

Currently IPv6 is deployed by Comcast in various states, including Washington (in Sept).  I expect that when you enable IPV6 you get routed differently and avoid the bottleneck.  There could be various reasons for that, and an IPV6 compatible traceroute would be required (I think) to determine how you actually get to the Netflix server.  Not that it really matters.

See http://www.comcast6.net/index.php/8-ipv6-trial-news-and-information

@Anon

Do you know what numbers go where for the IPv6 tunnel via H.E.?  My router wants the following info when I select my IPv6 connection as IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel:  the remote and local IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and the primary and secondary DNS addresses.

When I created my tunnel, H.E. gave me sever and client IPv6 and IPv4 addresses, routed IPv6 prefixes, and available DNS resolvers (anycasted IPv4/6 caching nameserver).  I figured remote = server, local = client, and primary DNS address = IPv6 caching nameserver.  However, that didn't work.  According to test-ipv6.com, no IPv6 address was detected.  And I saw no improvement in Netflix quality.

I then tried my connection as 6-to-4 based on the addresses I found here https://www.whatsmydns.net/dns/usa/comcast.html.  That actually seemed to work a little better as I was able to get a bit rate up to 1750 with bandwidths upwards of 2000.  I forced the buffering bit rate to 3000, and was able to stream in HD for a bit.  That may have just been a coincidence, however.  I still had poor Netflix quality through my Roku.

Finally, I tried setting my connection to DHCPv6 and used the routed /64 IPv6 prefix from H.E.  I restarted everything, and I have not been able to get a bit rate above 750.  My bandwidth was around 1000 - 1200.  Once again test-ipv6.com shows no IPv6 address detected.

Now suddenly at 1:40 a.m., my buffering bit rate jumped up to 3000 and my bandwidth jumped up too.  My player is still buffering HD, but it still hasn't started playing in HD.

It took nearly 5 minutes, but I'm now playing in HD.  Playing bitrate is 3000.  I just fired up my Roku and it loaded a show in HD as well.  My computer didn't skip a beat.  So, I am playing two HD shows simultaneously, one through my wired Roku and one on my wirelessly-connected computer with no reloading so far on either device.

This certainly doesn't seem like a load issue.  It's like someone just flipped a switch at 1:40 this morning!

Contributor
petroff1210

I just sent an email to this guy http://www.soundadviceblog.com/ because he had a column in my local paper on Saturday, January 11 regarding 'high-def hostage taking' by Comcast.  Hopefully, he will take up this mantle too.

Regular Contributor
116werner

Really Sarper? 1,000,000 customers Sarper? What you say makes sine sense and it's what I've said all along but your numbers are HIGHLY skewed and this fact us still denied by Comcast. As I said for some people like myself going from 56-60 Mbps down to 0.16-2.00 is criminal! Then to report it to the FCC and file multiple complaints with Comcast and have it stopped shows how they just randomly select targets for whatever reason.
Official Employee
jlivingood

It is worth keeping in mind that according to data release by Sandvine, Netflix and YouTube traffic accounts for 50% of ISP peak hour traffic (reference: https://www.sandvine.com/pr/2013/11/11/sandvine-report-netflix-and-youtube-account-for-50-of-all-nor... Their full report is at https://www.sandvine.com/trends/global-internet-phenomena/ and says something like Netflix is 1/3 of peak hour traffic at North American ISPs. Comcast's Internet service is a critically important service and our users expect great performance -- and we're not throttling or degrading Netflix's service

As Kevin said above:

"Comcast is directly connected to dozens of ISP with well over 1,000 different connections to these ISPs. The server or application chooses which path to use has many, many ways to reach Comcast and it is important to note again that the application is the one that decides which path to use to reach you, not Comcast. Some have suggested that Comcast chooses to send traffic in specific ways, and this is exactly opposite of how this works. Comcast equally announces your IP addresses to all ISPs and multi-homed applications pick which ones to use to reach you."

So how does that translate? We announce our IP addresses out of many different interconnection points. It is not up to Comcast how an application provider sends data to our customers -- it is up to the application provider. 

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Contributor
banditsc

So it's now a conspiracy agianst Comcast by the CDN providers that they are not providing an adequate path back to Comcast? It would seem that is what your saying since all the other ISP's are not having this issue.

Contributor
BooR4dley

@jlivingood What you and Kevin are failing to acknowledge though is that this issue is only occurring on Comcast, not any other ISP. I have not been able to receive an HD Netflix stream on your network since before the beginning of November. Amazon VOD is fine, Youtube is fine, Hulu is fine, Xbox Video is fine. Whether it's Comcast or the Level3 CDNs that your company is contracted with the issue resides in an area that the consumer doesn't have the tools or access to fix. YOUR company has done everything in it's power to pawn this issue off on Netflix, but as far as anyone here can see you have done NOTHING to resolve it.
There is a problem and you appear to be willfully desregarding it. If you, your fellow employees and your company have ANY integrity you will work with Level3 and Netflix, find the cause of the problem, resolve it and give this community an honest answer to what is going on.
I would imagine any team of even moderately good network engineers could find the problem and resolve it in a matter of days, it has been months which can only mean that the teams aware of this issue are some combination of negligent, incompentet and lazy.
Your customers are complaining and have provided you with mountains of information in this thread, stop making excuses and get off your butts and GO FIX IT!!
Contributor
smi1ey

So then is Netflix the one throttling their own data upstream just to Comcast subscribers? Is there any possible way to find that out? We all know that if you're not using Comcast, you're generally going to be streaming in HD without issues. We know the issue is either Comcast or Netflix. How do we then rule Netflix out of the equation? Sure, I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I think it should be done.

Fact: Netflix knows who is connecting to them from Comcast.

Fact: Netflix controls who gets served by which CDN based on your IP address. (This is out of Comcast's hands.)

In response to my own argument, the problem with stating Netflix is the culprit comes when you find that Netflix is not the only streaming service with an issue on Comcast. Amazon stream video has the exact same issue that Netflix does (and perhaps other services as well, but I have only tested those two). So we're talking two different CDNs, from two different companies, with the exact same issue at the exact same time on the exact same ISP. Does this mean Amazon and Netflix are in bed together and are trying to stick it to Comcast?

I doubt it, but I wanted to present both sides of the argument. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
banditsc

The December numbers are out for the Netflix performance numbers and it shows Comcast tanking another 5 spots. This really shows there is a problem with Comcast, the speeds at Comcast dropping compared to other ISP's wouldn't be a Netflix problem, if it was all the ISP's would be dropping. http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

Contributor
smi1ey

[ Edited ]

banditsc wrote:

The December numbers are out for the Netflix performance numbers and it shows Comcast tanking another 5 spots. This really shows there is a problem with Comcast, the speeds at Comcast dropping compared to other ISP's wouldn't be a Netflix problem, if it was all the ISP's would be dropping. http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

It's interesting to note that the same graph a year ago puts Comcast towards the top. I think most of us long-time Comcast subscribers will agree this an issue that has only happened in the past year or less. There's definitely something that changed between now and then.

Official Employee
jlivingood

[ Edited ]

banditsc wrote:

What does it actually measure? How does it work? Is it an accurate measurement?

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/sandvine-netflix%E2%80%99s-isp-speed-index-isn%E2%80%99t-ac...

JL
Contributor
smi1ey

jlivingood wrote:

What does it actually measure? How does it work? Is it an accurate measurement?

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/sandvine-netflix%E2%80%99s-isp-speed-index-isn%E2%80%99t-ac...

Great link. I can definitely appreciate both sides of the argument. However, Open Connect only relates to Super HD, and the people in this thread can often not even stream basic standard definition video without constant buffering issues. As Comcast subscriber, I would be happy with simple basic HD, I really would. That then leads to another question: why doesn't Comcast, as one of the largest ISPs in America, not subscribe to Netflix's Open Connect program? I'm sure we all have an idea of what the answer to that question is, but if that's what is keeping Comcast subscribers from HD content, then Comcast needs to respond to their customers appropriately and get on it.

Contributor
banditsc

Netflix has records of connection speeds for all the streamed content. Everytime you start a stream from Netflix it does a measure of the connection speed to determine the quality of the streamed content to be dispalyed. So those numbers are compiled from all it's customers connection history. For me I get a max of about a 1.25 megs on a good day when I'm streaming content from Netflix.

Whether you believe those numbers or not, that are showing EXACTLY what all your customers are telling you, Comcast performance is poor and getting worse. I'm not sure how you can argue with those numbers when this thread full of Comcast customers is trying to tell you exactly what that chart is telling you, that is what you would call a correlation. 

Official Employee
jlivingood

smi1ey wrote:

Great link. I can definitely appreciate both sides of the argument. However, Open Connect only relates to Super HD, and the people in this thread can often not even stream basic standard definition video without constant buffering issues. 

Netflix has recently transitioned to their own CDN in many cases (sometimes called OpenConnect by folks), and I think that CDN provides most or all of the various stream quality levels -- so not just SuperHD. Separately there is the OpenConnect business program, where Netflix puts servers inside of a network. 

JL
Contributor
smi1ey

jlivingood wrote:

Netflix has recently transitioned to their own CDN in many cases (sometimes called OpenConnect by folks), and I think that CDN provides most or all of the various stream quality levels -- so not just SuperHD. Separately there is the OpenConnect business program, where Netflix puts servers inside of a network. 

Thanks for the explanation. So I guess it might just come down to this then: why isn't Comcast part of the OpenConnect network? I don't know how many companies at the top of the Netflix streaming chart are in that network, but if OpenConnect ISPs are getting better service due to how Netflix is marketing their service, it seems like one of the largest ISPs in America should be involved. Obviously that's a high level question, and I would be stupid to expect an answer here in this forum, but it's one that should be asked.

With the insanely high volume of content Netflix serves, it makes perfect sense to me that they would want to limit the highest end content to a specific set of ISPs during peak hours, as that lightens the load on them and provides the means, through OpenConnect contracts, to cover their paying (ISP) customers with better content.

Everyone should keep in mind that Netflix pays for their own bandwidth, too, and it's not cheap. I've seen several articles online stating that Netflix should actually raise their prices again if they want to stay competitive with their content offerings and quality, and I totally agree. When Netflix first started they were charging far too little, and even after the outrage over the price hike, they are STILL not charging enough to get the content licenses their users desire. It sounds to me like OpenConnect is one way to subsidize the cost of Netflix streaming via ISPs rather than their users. Whether you agree with that or not, it's besides the point. Either you'll pay more as a Netflix subscriber, or you'll pay more to your ISP because they're paying for OpenConnect. Either way the money will come out the consumer's pocket, and that's just kind of how it goes.

It's just a shame that all of this information isn't more public. We all know that when we buy an iPhone for $200, we're actually paying the $650+ price over our outrageous two-year contract. Why can't Comcast join OpenConnect then make known that the only way to get better streaming service from Netflix was to pay to join their "exclusive" CDN, meaning consumers will end up paying a little more as a consequence, but will get their full super HD content back? If anything, it makes Netflix look like much bigger of a bad guy than Comcast. Just a thought! (a very long one... sorry!) :smileywink:

Bronze Star Contributor
Help_Meplease

Actually, they are introducing a lower package I'm taking advantage of. You can stream on one device st a time for 6.99 s month. For a single person, fixed income, and almost 10% sales tax, that's a lot better. It DOES depend on the cdn. I played with silverlight yesterday, and various streams for the same program )for the first time, and won't do it again, abhor silverlight, but the diagnostics are good). I've recently tweaked my router so that the 2.4 ghz band is streaming from 40 to 55 mobs down. One browser window opened to speedtest, xfinity speed test, and one to Netflix. NOT during prime time. The variation in streaming quality was very uniques, and stopping, restarting caused some shows to never get back to hd quality. Buffering was longer than on my tivos. Some bit rates did coordinate with a drop in speed in the speed test sites. But most was traceable DIRECTLY to the CDN. (been streaming Netflix since 2010, I've had bad app experiences on roku's thoughout the years, always blamed on roku). Using the bit rate adaptive method, your quality can fluctuate with the wind. If you have a lot of noise between here and there, that bit rate will fall. Now, jump to the TiVo at this time, it showed slow speeds. Around 12 midnight (maybe a little earlier), my device was asked to sign in again (weird), jumped up to super hd. Not on the computer though.

I am not a Comcast fanboy, especially since the recent tech visit heated my download power levels to 8-9dbmv. But this isn't comcast. They are not chasing the cdn down to throttle. This is Netflix, and the ability of different devices to handle the new adaptive bit rate technology (coincidentally, started rolling out mid November through end of December). I had a problem on my 2000 series roku (from 4 dots to two dots,mno more hd allowed) WAY before the complaints in this forum. They have since stabilized that series of roku somewhat, but it will never be hd again. Interestingly enough, it doesn't do bit rate streaming, but doesn't lose quality during prime time.
New Visitor
tkejlboom

Where did you get those numbers? They're complete BS. This is hands down Comcast. My current work around is using my phone as a hotspot during peak hours. I'm hitting the same amazon hosted servers for the region. I just feel sorry for those without an unlimited LTE connection as backup.
New Visitor
tkejlboom

The FCC is slow. Washington doesn't seem to be getting any less gridlocked. It took two years for then to shutdown the AT&T/T-mobile deal, and when the FCC does take action, it's typically driven by large volumes of consumer complaints. So, everything you said it's essentially wrong. The FCC will not jump in and just fix everything if their own initiative.
Regular Contributor
donutespresso

Comcast doesn't participate in OpenConnect, because doing so means they lose a revenue source. Today, CDN's (like L3) have to pay Comcast in order to deliver Netflix content to end customers. I am positive that it is a non trivial amount. 

There's also the argument that it violates net neutrality, but it's a smokescreen. When ISPs play this game they play by their own rules - when Netflix provides in-network cache, it's a huge no no, but sponsored data is completely OK! And really, the only difference is that in the second instance ISPs are getting paid (http://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2014/01/10/theres-nothing-new-about-atts-sponsored-data-a...