Regular Contributor

Is the cable modem going bad or what?

I have noticed that my cable modem is resetting every once in a while. While it does that, I lose internet connection and I have to wait for the lights to stop flashing as the modem comes back up.  I looked in the log and saw time out messages. Here's the latest one

0/14/2009 5:59 20000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

I thought my dinosaur router was failing so I got a new one and installed that last night but the time outs still happen.  I have an Arris TM502G modem.

Is there something else I can look at?

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Is the cable modem going bad or what?

This is where we ask posters to start:

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=5&thread.id=69354&jump=true

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=5&thread.id=69355&jump=true

It may not be the modem. It may be that the signal stats are out of spec or close to it. We especially need you to post them. We are looking for the downstream and upstream power level figures and the SNR (signal to noise ratio) figure.

Regular Contributor

I'll run tracert and ping when I get home but I managed to send the cable status stuff to work in case I needed it. I can't run the tweak test because I have Vista 64 bit and says it's not advisable.

Ip lease time is set to a week.   that time out error happens whether I am connected to router or not.  I even bought a new router in case that was the issue.   I've also reset all equipment several times but with no change. I have mcafee and haven't tried turning off the firewall but I'll try that when I get home too.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'll post tracert and ping when I get home to test those.

Downstream

Freq/Power: 603.000 MHz -12 dBmV  

Signal to Noise Ratio:  34 dB  

Modulation: QAM256

Upstream  

Freq/Power: 37.000 MHz 52 dBmV  

Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)          

Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec          

Modulation: QAM16

Regular Contributor

Below is the tracert and the ping information.    I also turned off the firewall as advised and ran ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. 

C:\Users\Katie>tracert www.comcast.net

Tracing route to a1526.g.akamai.net [96.17.111.66]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  2     8 ms     6 ms     6 ms  68.85.221.149
  3     8 ms     6 ms     6 ms  te-9-1-ur02.englewood.co.denver.comcast.net [68.86.103.114]
  4     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  te-0-0-0-4-ar02.aurora.co.denver.comcast.net [68.86.103.45]
  5     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  pos-0-4-0-0-cr01.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.91.101]
  6     8 ms     8 ms     9 ms  a96-17-111-66.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com [96.17.111.66]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Katie>ping www.comcast.net

Pinging a1526.g.akamai.net [96.17.111.18] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 96.17.111.18: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=60
Reply from 96.17.111.18: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 96.17.111.18:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 9ms

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

How many splitters are in the cable from the outside to the modem? 

-12 dbmV is a very low signal level.

Regular Contributor

just one that I can't reach. It's behind a big old entertainment unit.
Bronze Star Contributor

I think it's time to call Comcast. It sure sounds like a RF plant issue could be the cause of your problems. Coax deteriorates with age which can result in signal losses. Other components can fail in such a way that they reduce signal strength without totally blocking the signal. While you can interogate your cable modem to see it's tx signal strength only Comcast can read the signal strength of what they are receiving from your cable modem (i.e. how much of what your cable modem is sending is actually making back to the head end). Are you friendly enough with any of your neighbors that you can find out if they have Comcast HSI and what their signal levels are? I particular if you can ask someone whose house is fed from the same place as your house. You never know, they might be suffering in silence. If they have good levels that could indicate something unique to the feed to your house. While all this signal level information might be interesting, Comcast is probably going to have to roll a truck to fix the problem.
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the information.  I live in an apartment building and haven't really talked to my neighbors so I don't know them well enough to ask stuff.  Just tonight, i hadmore time outs.   I've tried futzing with the router settings, I've tried a few different things, but still got the time outs.    I may see if I can move the cable modem to a different wall port and see if that changes anything.  Just need to get another longer coax cable

10/15/2009 18:25      20000200      3      No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
10/15/2009 18:33      20000200      3      No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Bronze Star Contributor

Apartment buildings complicate things. If it is an internal wiring issue it could be Comcast's responsibility or it could be the responsibility of the owner of the building. Wish you luck. Unfortunately you might need it.
Regular Contributor

Thanks I sent them an email, let's see how they respond.
Connection Expert
EG

Jim__ wrote: 

While you can interogate your cable modem to see it's tx signal strength only Comcast can read the signal strength of what they are receiving from your cable modem (i.e. how much of what your cable modem is sending is actually making back to the head end).

W.I.W., the plant is RF/coax only to the local node. It is fiber optic cable from the node to the headend.

Contributor

I have been having problems with my cable modem continually resetting, expecially at night.  I had a tech come out today and he tracked it down (most likely) to a 20 yr old analog TV I had on the same line as the modem.  It was causing some type of static interferance which was interfering with the outgoing signal on the modem.  The more I think about it, th emore it makes sense.  Guess it is an excuse to get a new TV for my play room.

Homer