Security Expert
CajunTek

Just a point about packet loss complaints..

Note: this is not comcast defending the issue this straight from dslreports faqs and has no reason to defend comcast.. In other words.. Just the faqs :smileywink:

and I quote:
Q: Why am I seeing so much packet loss in my provider's network? (#14068) 

A: If you are also seeing packet loss from these points all the way to the final hop of your test, that points to a problem on the device first showing packet loss, or on the inbound connection to that device.
However, if you are not seeing packet loss all the way to the final hop, this apparent packet loss may not be an issue.
Some providers are rate limiting how often they respond with the TTL-exceeded ICMP packets used by traceroute and similar tools like the Packet Loss Test. This is done to prevent attacks against these routers, since responding to these packets requires much more CPU time than simply forwarding the packet does. If the router is set up to ratelimit, it will respond to a certain number of traceroute packets per second, and once that many have been received, it will stop responding to them for that second, which will appears as packet loss. You are not losing any "real" traffic, assuming the final hop of your traceroute isn't showing any loss.

TANSTAAFL!!

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Just a point about packet loss complaints..

This is good information C.T., thanks for posting.
Contributor

You have described that these tools can seem to show a problem were there might not be one.  That is interesting but not very helpful if you actually experience a problem. 
Connection Expert
EG

I can't answer for CajunTek, but my opinion on this is that it is better to have some information, then none at all.

Would it be better to not have the diagnostic capabilities that this tool provides ?

Security Expert
CajunTek

[ Edited ]
Well that's because tool a (tracert) is good for finding routing and end pings.. Where it might not be good for intermediary pings (depends on the rest of the routings pings). In other words.. It doesn't remove the usefulness of the tool, it just complicates it some.

Tool b (ping) is better for finding packet loss to the sever you are actually trying to reach.. the two in conjunction should provide most of the data you need..

Message Edited by CajunTek on 07-04-2006 09:31 AM

TANSTAAFL!!