New Visitor

Keep Losing Conection? I know WHY!!

I keep loosing my connection also. You are not alone...
Sometimes for as long as a couple of hours. It usually comes back, but it goes down again. I've gotten to the point where I expect it to go down again! That's how crappy this service has gotten.
At first I thought it was my cable modem, but I decided to look into it a little more. (I'm a network engineer)

The reason I thought it was my cable modem was because if I rebooted it, my service usually (not always) came back. Sometimes I had to reboot my router too.
Well, I logged into my router and checked the routes on it. Since it uses DHCP for the WAN interface, the Gateway (next hop) is provided automatically. While it was down, I decided to Ping the Gateway to see if I got a reply.

What I found was that the first few attempts failed, but connectivity returned by about the 5th ping. Conincidence? Nope.
This hinted that the problem may be do to an ARP issue. I decided to create a batch file that would ping the remote gateway everytime my service went down. I play a lot of online games, so I know exactly when it goes away because I get disconnected from my gaming.
After it goes down, I quickly click on my batch file and everything is as expected. The first few Pings fail and then the service kicks in again.
Why does that fix it? It's simple. When you ping the remote gateway, the remote gateway puts your routers mac address in its ARP table for easy reference. ARP entries have a time out value, once the value reaches 0 it gets deleted from the ARP table. Once the ARP entry in deleted, your router has to send out an ARP broadcast the next time you request an Internet connection and it again registers itself with the Remote Gateway's ARP table. But what would happen if the ARP broadcast your router (or the remote router) sends never makes it to the remote gateway (or your router)? Your Internet connection would break. Until it is succesfull.

So I got a little curious of what the ARP traffic might look like on the Comcast network my router sits on (12.224.116.x/23). WHAT I FOUND ISN'T PRETTY.

Note: A 23 bit mask of 255.255.254.0 defines 510 stations per subnet and looks something like 12.224.116.X and 12.224.117.Y where X and Y are station numbers. Note addresses 12.224.116.1 and 12.224.117.1 are two stations on the same network.

This means that at any given time, you should see a maximum of 510 ARP broadcast. That's only if all 510 ARP entries expired on each router at the same time and all 510 PCs were making Internet requests. That would never happen.

Okay, if you understand the note above, then you are going to freak out when you see this ARP debug I grabed off my router. We should only see ARP requests from the same network we are on (12.224.116.x 12.224.117.x / 255.255.254.0).

Debugging ARP
##2003-08-05 10:36:26 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (12.206.0.1->12.206.0.176)
on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:26 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (10.143.0.1->10.143.15.135)
on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:26 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (67.168.240.1->67.168.242.5
4) on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:26 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (10.143.0.1->10.143.24.186)
on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:26 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (67.168.240.1->67.168.247.2
52) on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:26 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (12.225.12.1->12.225.15.144
) on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:27 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (10.143.0.1->10.143.4.100)
on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:27 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (67.168.240.1->67.168.245.1
42) on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:27 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (67.168.240.1->67.168.247.2
04) on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:27 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (67.168.240.1->67.168.243.2
17) on int untrust
##2003-08-05 10:36:27 system-debugging: recv ARP REQ (12.203.76.1->12.203.77.76)
on int untrust

Notice the time! 10 is the hour, 36 is the minutes, and the last digit is the seconds! It's recieving an insane amount of broadcasts and they aren't even from the right network! Some broadcasts are coming from private networks. This isn't right.

After seeing this, it takes me less than a second to figure out why MY INTERNET IS SO SLOW AND CONTANTLY DROPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I did one last test... The next time it went down, I cleared all my debug logs and watched the traffic. Guess what, It was still there. Even when my Internet connection is down, I can still see all the ARP broadcasts hit my router! This is PROOF that it is not my router, my modem, and definately not the PC. LOL
It is a problem related to all those ARP broadcast message flooding the network!

Message to COMCAST:
Your customers are getting bombarded with ARP requests coming from all sorts of networks. It is similar to a DoS attack using ARPs. The network is being flooded by ARP broadcasts! It is so flooded that it is preventing home routers from comunicating with your gateways.
Fix it!

MRJAZ
Message was edited by: Anonymous
New Visitor

Re: Keep Losing Conection? I know WHY!!

This is also why the Internet seems sooooo slow!

Because the network is flooded with ARP requests.

Bump this message to the top.
EVERYONE needs to see this.

Lets put the preasure on Comcast to fix it!
New Visitor

I agree I have tested and retested my equipment, and I have come to the same conclusion. Comcast's service is just really,really, really poor. If it doesn't get fixed soon, I WILL close my account.

Prime
New Visitor

I will do absoulutely anything to get my service back. It doesn't seem to me that Comcast is going to be able to fix it.
Wish you worked for Comcast. It is getting VERY discouraging.
Bronze Star Contributor

That is some very good trouble shooting. My recommendation would be to call tech support and report your findings for further investigation.
New Visitor

I had an online chat with tech support but I don't think they comprehended all that I was talking about. I cut and pasted my findings and told them why it was important for he/she to contact engineering and show them what I found.
I told he/she to copy and paste our entire conversation and to forward it to some network engineers. I told them that if they didn't know this problem existed, it could help them solve the issues Comcast is having. Hopefully he/she will keep his/her word and forward the message.
MRJAZ
Bronze Star Contributor

Were you given a Ticket # ...?

If not please contact support by phone. In my experience it is better to speak one on one with a tech so you can fully explain yourself. Sometimes important info gets lost when trying to read what another person is trying to say. But that is just my recommendation.

And if you were given a ticket # please follow up on the case with in 24 hours to make sure it is being looked into.
New Visitor

No ticket number. The tech said that the only way they can escalate this is if they come out and run a test on my line and my modem. I told them that I didn't have time to take off work and come baby sit some techie while he reboots my modem and calls it good. At least not this week.
So I told them to just send the message and that someone with experience would understand where to look. I also said that if I had some time open up that I would have them come out and look in order to expedite the solution.

Oh, and I asked him if Comcast collects MAC addresses from people when setting up their network. He said that they did. I asked if the MAC address was being used to set up static ARP mappings on thier routers/switches. He said no. And so then I asked that if I would be required to report that I have a new router if I decided to buy one. He said no. He said that they collect the MAC address everytime you reboot the modem.
HMMM.
That sounds like they are relying on ARP broadcasts!

Um, so then I got somewhat scared because I knew that they needed some real help If this was going to get fixed.

I hope the fallowing scenerio helps explain this to people that are not too technical.
Okay hear me out...
So you are in a bar with 200 people talking really loud all at once. Glasses are rattling, this dude next to you is talking way too loud on his cell phone, the pay phone is ringing, and the band is playing "Great Balls Of Fire"... Meanwhile, you are yelling your order accross the room to the bartender. The bartender can sometimes hear what you have to say. That's what this network is doing right now. Your router is you, and the waiter is the remote gateway. All those ARP broadcasts are creating so much noise that nothing can clearly communicate.

MRJAZ
New Visitor

Bump
New Visitor

btw what online games do you play? lol i play medal of honor allied assault
New Visitor

Well, when my Internet is working fine, I play Xbox live. All sorts of games.
I've also been sucked back into Diablo 2 lately.

Outage update: There's an insane amount of packet drops today. A continuous ping to my router's gateway shows me a lot of drops.

There's a nifty utility that is included in Windows 2000 and Windows XP that you can use to try to locate problems with your ISP.
It's called "pathping"

It's like Ping and Tracert combined and gives you back some statistics. You can copy and paste the statistics into an e-mail to send it off to Comcast techsupport.

You use pathping the same way you use ping. I did a pathping on my router's gateway and have pasted the results below.

C:\>pathping 12.224.116.1

Tracing route to 12-224-116-1.client.attbi.com
over a maximum of 30 hops:
0 MRJAZ
1 12-224-116-1.client.attbi.com

Computing statistics for 25 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 192.168.1.100

28/ 100 = 28% |
1 14ms 28/ 100 = 28% 0/ 100 = 0% 12.224.116.1

Trace complete.

The lines that are important are the ones that show packet loss. Look under "Source to Here". It shows 28% packet loss. 28 out of 100 packets were lost going to my first hop! That's nuts.

Oh and by the way, the statistics will compute by 25 seconds more for every hop encountered. So if you do a pathping to www.yahoo.com, you are going to have to wait a while since you will encounter tons of hops.

MRJAZ
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Osc

Kevin,

Why can't you send this information to the right people?
I'd imagine you could route this information *far* better that any of us could.

I'll add my own observations on this arp issue =]

Using windump to get arp packets:
windump -n -w test arp
windump -n -r test >test.txt

I find that, over a 28 second window, 40% of the arp packets should never be seen, as they are from the wrong network. Of that 40% there are a few RFC1918 addresses.

Please impliment the following Best Current Practices, and keep us up to date on Comcast's progress on this issue:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2827.txt

This internet draft is also worth reading:
http://www.isi.edu/~bmanning/dsua.html

News will bounce, delete it,
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!')
but rather 'hmm.... that's funny...'" -- Isaac Asimov
Take The Boulder Pledge http://www.easytospell.com/pledge/
Regular Contributor

Comcast is pretty good in the Indianapolis area when I signed up for the high speed internet service we ask them if they could come out on wednesday afternoon and they were out to get me setup for internet service, I have had no problems with the connection yet. My guess is, I think Comcast primary Head quartes is in Phily and the farther west you go the weaker the connection is. Just my guess
Regular Contributor

I just check mine and I have not lost/sent
0/ 100

I also did that pathping to www.comcast.net and everything comes back good
New Visitor

Just got off the phone with Tech support myself, Im a Network Tech and this all makes sense, Its is bad news folks. Comcast better get their network tightened up or we will continue to have these problems.

The tech support rep transfered me to a higher support level and admitted they are having some definate issues that aren't signal, or hardware based and they are in the process of trying to fix them.

I made a note to them that it should not be my responsibilty to have to reboot my router and hub or modem every few hours. They agree and she noted they are collecting data on the problem and it seems to be in clusters only in certain areas.

Basically didn't get to far with them but at least they are now admitting yes their are definate network problems on their end and they are trying to fix it.

I got a ticket number and will post any updates should they contact me back or when i call to follow up.
New Visitor

Cool. Glad to see that they are actively working on it.
I hope they post in this thread so that we know that they are aware of the issue we bring up.

Thanks for the update!
MRJAZ
New Visitor

I live in Dallas, TX. Have had the same problem ALL day today. This is the first time I have had this sort of problem for such a long period of time. At the moment it seems to be working again...how long? we'll see.
New Visitor

bump
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Osc

Interesting ... Why should I expect tech support to understand an arp issue when I see things like the following message. BTW, this is from:

The North American Network Operators Group (NANOG) provides a forum for the exchange of technical information, and promotes discussion of implementation issues that require community cooperation.

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg11904.html
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster

> Interesting ... Why should I expect tech support to
> understand an arp issue when I see ...

I must confess that I was quite surprised by the "official" Comcast response to the initial post about the arp issue. Leaving it to user who discovered the problem to find someone at comcast phone support who would actually listen to his findings, let alone understand it, suggest to me that those findings will never reach the right people. Perhaps my expectation that the Comcast rep would himself forward the data to engineering was unrealistic. :smileysad:
Bronze Star Contributor

I agree with you. If a user has pinpointed an important problem that can be (it sounds like) relatively easily solved, any Comcast tech person who gets that information should immediately make sure it gets to the right people.

As for the message linked to above, the ignorance, condescension and poor training of first-level tech support people never fails to amaze me. I realize they are trained primarily to deal with problems of the kind we often see here (how do I configure Outlook, etc.) But if confronted by something they don't understand, they should put you in touch with someone who will rather than insisting you can't be right. Especially they shouldn't say something as moronic as "We have no routers."
Contributor

http://forums.comcast.net/images/small-logo.gif
New Visitor

So this is what's been happening to me. I lose connectivity during the day but it always comes back up in the evening.

I had two visits from Comcast techs. First they replace a switch. The next time the cable modem. I called a third time and told them the problem is with their network and threatened to cancel my service if the problem wasn't soon fixed. They offered to send out another tech to check the line.

I already took two days off from work and I refuse to take anymore.

What a joke Comcast is. DSL is looking better all the time.
New Visitor

A couple things, first the private 10. is Comcasts broadcasting DHCP. They always use 10. addresses for this, the one that broadcasts to me is 10.154.176.1

The 12.206.0.1 is an attbi client as is the 12.203 so I would guess they have not reprovisioned them fully as of yet and are routing the old address, perhaps even natting them at the router (and ARP is lower level than TCP/IP) this would also not be uncommon. If I am reprovisioning a large network I will pool nat the old addresses while changing the IPs so we can handle old and new while we make the change over. This would be normal. One of my ISPs is transioning from 12.106.137.0/25 - 198.76.194.0/24 now and they are re-IPing the clients one at a time so, for now, we see ARPs from both networks all the time.

Kinda looks to me like you have a WAN interface in promiscuous mode and possibly proxy arp enabled

Try doing some testing with iptraf (or a windows equivelent) and see what is going on. Also you did not mention if your were pinging to an IP address or a hostname. Comcast's name servers are VERY bad and drop out all the time. If your ping tests are by name try by a known good IP and see if the results are the same.
Bronze Star Contributor

Agreed. Comcast first-line tech support is fine when Granny forgets to plug in her cable modem, but give them a real problem, and they are lost. They are required to work a script. Unplug modem, cable, check IP settings on computer, etc, have a tech visit the house and check inside lines, then another tech visits to check between the house and the drop box. AFAIK, this script must be followed even if, as here, the script is completely inapplicable to the circumstances.

The script can be helpful, as it allows Comcast to solve a large number of small problems (probably the majority of their tech support calls) with relatively low-priced tech support contractors. However, it appears that the script's inflexibility hurts Comcast's responsiveness when it comes to big, complex problems that affect a large number of users. It also hurts Comcast's ability to gain a unique insight from a particularly knowledgeable user.
New Visitor

Great work m8. I've been having the disconnection problem for WEEKS now...i can expect my connection to drop every hour or so. THIS IS BS! I unplugged my router, and plugged it back in and it worked everytime until it cut off again, so i decided to eliminate te middle man and hooked my computer straight into the modem. STILL getting disconnected ---i unplug the modem, immediately plug it back in and I am good to go.

I AM TIRED OF THIS! A technnician is supposed to come out to replace my modem, because comcast has NO idea what the heck the problem is!
New Visitor

You know what Im doing until Comcast has it fixed, being that my router/hub/modem is downstairs in my mini NOC closet, I created a Batch Script, that pings my Comcast Gateway about 8 times, everytime my connection is dropped, ping the gateway... connection comes back everytime, just like the user who started this post did.

It works until Comcast gets their act together.
New Visitor

It's good that people are trying the "Ping the remote gateway" technique to get around the issue.

Next time you call Comcast because your connection is down, before they have you reboot your router and or modem, explain to them that you are going to try and ping the remote gateway first.

That way they can be on the phone with you and witness the whole thing. After it comes up, refer them to this thread on the message board so word starts getting around.

MRJAZ
New Visitor

Can you post the script so those of us who aren't as versed in networking can use this work around?

Thanks!!!!
New Visitor

Start up "Notepad" and type the following:

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your remote gateway. To get the IP address of the remote gateway you will need to log into your router and look up the information that was automatically assigned.
You will see:
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:

The Default Gateway is what you want. The IP that appears there is the IP you want to use for your batch file.

It should look something like:

ping 12.224.116.1 -t

After you type in the correct IP address, save the file and put it on your desktop.

The next time your Internet connection goes down, double click the batch file you made. It will automatically start pinging your remote gateway. You should see a few timeouts. Once you see ping "replies", close the window to end the program. Do NOT leave the program running!!!

Doing so will create more problems on the Comcast network.
I repeat: DO NOT LEAVE THE BATCH FILE RUNNING!!!

And remember, this is only a work around. It is not a solution to the main problem.

MRJAZ
New Visitor

*bump

Well, now I know why no matter what I do, I have an incredible amount of incoming data. At this point I can't connect for more then 5 minutes at a time. I even went and personally bought a new cable modem. All I can say is this better get taken care of soon.

Thanks,
ss
New Visitor

You seem to understand the network. Is ARP also somehow connected to the Pop Up add issue??

My problem is different from yours I stay connected for as long as 8 hours, but the goddam pop ups render my commputer almost useless. I have complained to my ISP AOL but in there defense, the problem is Comcasts at this point I think....am I wrong

Larry in Michigan
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster

There are three main causes for popups, and none of them are because of Comcast.

1) Popups from a website you visit... this is easily defeated with one of many free popup stoppers.

2) Popups from Windows Messenger service... this too is easily disabled.

3) Spyware/Adware on your system... this can be removed with SpyBot Search and Destroy.
New Visitor

I just checked out the WinDump arp stuff and found that all I see are arp who-has and NO arp reply, about 700 a minute. When I look at my LAN I see a who-has then a reply.

And I thought the problem was my computer so I upgraded it to a 2.53Ghz P4 with XP... it still dies thank you very much Comcast for NOT telling me about this forum!
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Osc

Rather than 'ping gateway -t' try 'ping gateway -n 20' as this will automatically quit after 20 pings. =]
If you need to, you can always dclick it again.

Also, once you have saved the text file to your desktop, rename it to something like pgate.bat . Windows will tell you that changing the files extention may cause problems, click OK, otherwise, it won't be treated as a batch file.
Bronze Star Contributor
RossM

MRJAZ (Anon),

I'm going to have your issue escalated to our networking folks. You may be contacted for additional information, if possible. Thanks!

Ross
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Osc

Good deal, thanks Ross.

Now. In addition to MRJAZ having this issue, are the networking folks going to look into this issue across the entire Comcast network or, should each user in each area that sees this problem post about the problem?

In any event, please keep us up to date on this issue from the Comcast POV.
New Visitor

The same exact problems exist in the Chicago area. Looks like a pretty disorganized transition from ATTBI.
New Visitor

I am having the same problem too! But I, have notice that on my modem my receive and send light is not blinking the light is just staying on I, have reset my modem but the same thing happen. This happened before when attbi became comcast and it crashed one of my computer when I, put the Transition Wizard on my computer. I call comcast they said it was my modem but when they put a new modem on it did the same thing I, have dedicated line for my computer so it was not interference from the cable. That when they said it was my computer. All test on my computer came out ok. So they said that in was a network problem If I did not know about computer. I would have purchase a new computer comcast need to let it use know that it is having a problem so they do not loses customer. It is not fair for them to make us think that it is our equipment when they know it is there service. They should send a e-mail out to all it customer letting them know there is a problem and that they are work on it and do just that.
New Visitor

> service. They should send a e-mail out to all it
> customer letting them know there is a problem and
> that they are work on it and do just that.

So we have problems that are causing the network to be extremely slow - so why not slow it down even further and send an Email to everyone..........
New Visitor

The problem I am having seems to fit in with what is posted here. I have no speed issues when connected, I am just disconnected and have to restart modem/router.

Going to try the ping file, thanks a bunch.

I am in Portland and play Dark Age of Camelot. If your familiar with this game, a connection loss can cost 30min for not only yourself but all your team mates (Bot users, I run our groups primary bot). I will wait a few more days but then I have to switch service, the current situation is terrible. I used to play Diablo 2, this is about 100x worse than LDing in D2.

I used to have Cox and basically never lost my connection. Went 2 months straight once without a single link death.
Regular Contributor

I would suggest a FREE program called AdAware from Lavasoft. It finds and removed all kinds of ad programs.

www.lavasoft.com
New Visitor

another way i've found around this issue until comcast gets their act together is using a VPN(if you have access to one)
New Visitor

Mr Jaz---

I made a file called Ping.BAT in notepad just like you said and My file reads the following:

ping 12.206.0.1 -t

When my internet goes out, my computer that is DIRECTLY connected to the internet keeps flashing "the network cable has been disconnected" about 15 times before it finally just cuts out completely. This forces me to unplug and plug my modem back in before it regains a connection.

I tried your fix with the BAT file and I let it ping about 100 times. About 3/4 of the time it showed "Hardware Error." and the other 1/4 it showed "Ping Timed Out." then i shut down the cmd prompt and tried the bat file again only to start seeing "Destination Host Unreachable." I finally gave up and unplugged/plugged the modem back in and it came back as always. WTF!?

I AM TIRED OF THIS CRAP!!! I WANT HUGE CREDIT- working from home with this unpredictable hunk of crap for internet is not helping me much...
New Visitor

Your issue sounds like it may be related to something else. Your computer actually thinks the cable has been unplug and so it disables the Network Card. That's why the Ping work around isn't working for you.

You can test your modem by doing the following:

1. Get your Network card working again so that Windows Detects . Reset your modem or what ever you need to do to get it back up.

2. Once your Internet is back up, unplug the cable that goes from the wall to your cable modem. Don't turn off your Modem and don't unplug the cable that goes from your computer to your cable modem.

3. After, check to see if your computer gives you the same error you have been seeing.

If not, then the problem may be due to a bad modem. If you see the same error, then the issue you are seeing is due to a loss in signal.

Question, are you using a USB cable to plug into your cable modem or are you using an CAT 5 (looks like a fat phone cable)?

MrJAZ
New Visitor

MRJAZ -

My modem is connected through cat5e. I performed the test you described, where I madesure i had internet, disconnected the coaxial cable from the wall and my computer showed NO popups saying the network cable had been unplugged. I plugged it back in and VOALA - it worked. I will contact comcast and tell them I want a new modem...anything else?
New Visitor

Nothing else. Looks like you have a bad modem.
MrJAZ
New Visitor

MAYBE - just MAYBE i can get comcast to come out to my house sometime this year to replace my modem.
New Visitor

Bump - Exactly what is happening to me. Using Linksys router, connection dies, re-boot modem, all is good. I play DAOC too, and loosing connection in mid-pull when you are running 3 people in a group of 5 is VERY bad.
Contributor

bump, and woot to the other DAOC players! I am Hib Igraine.