New Visitor
New Visitor

Keep Losing Connection! WHY???

I live in Garland Tx. and the cable modem keeps losing connection. It is more than just annoying, I'm considering trying DSL instead. I can't live with this bad of a service.

1. I have checked all the "power managment" stuff and it's all turned off. In the bios, on the network card, everywhere there was power managment stuff it got turned off. (Don't even mention it!)
2. The surfboard modem is lit up completey like its online and receiveing traffic. This is the new modem that stands upright they just gave us. No errors showing at all.
3. But, No connections work at all. No mail, Web browser, Newsgroups, nothing works at all. No host found.
4. The only fix I have found is to turn off the cable modem (unplug it) and turn off the computer. When I start it all back up it MIRACULOUSLY STARTS WORKING! At least for a while.
5. I have tried two different computers with the same result.

All of this leads me to believe that there may be a problem with the new Surfboard Modems, which Comcast just gave to us. It didn't happen with the old modems. And everyone keeps saying the network hasn't changed. Well, the only thing that has changed is the modem. I don't guess there anyway to upgrade its firmware is there?

Does everyone else with this problem have the new little upright standing modem? Motorola SB4220 Surfboard Modem.
New Visitor
New Visitor

Re: Keep Losing Connection! WHY???

Also, something else I tried. I hooked up a router to the cable modem this morning. When the connection is lost I can power down the Cable Modem and the Router, and when I start them back it it all works. This totally rules out the computer!

It's as if the Cable Modem is going into standby mode but not showing that on the front panel. And the only way to make it work is to reset it.
Bronze Star Contributor

Hey Tex,

Are you renting the modem from Comcast? If it is, call their people out to test it, that is IF you can get through to talk to someone. I've called and they've wanted to make me jump through all the hoops and I will not do that anymore. I'm a network engineer and I know my network is just fine. Don't let them jump you through the hoops, tell them to get out there and check the lines and the modem. Service is VERY lacking... Hmmm, I wonder if they outsourced to India?????
New Visitor

Tex, you aren't the only one, there are two other messages on this board about the same problem in different areas. I'm having the same problem in Utah along with my neighbors. Someone else is too. Sounds like a major problem with Comcast.
New Visitor

Tex,
Same here in Denver, CO for the past 3 weeks. Got the tech to come here. Changed cable modem and worked for a feww hours and then the problem is back again and worst. Call Comcast... good luck!!
New Visitor

I'm having the same problem up in Olympia, Washington. The cable modem keeps bumping me off in the middle of pages. I am using Comcast's modem an RCA, that I used with ATT. No change there. It will work if I power cyle the modem for a bit. then again it quits. I'm using a MAC running OS 9.0.4 I did not have this problem with ATT. I did get through to Comcast by phone finally, The tech said if could be the modem. That I should take it in to the local office and exchange it. I'm guess I'll try that. This is very frustrating. I'm real tired of unplugging the modem, waiting 2 minutes, plugging it back in and waiting another 5 minutes, as I was told to do. Several times a day.
New Visitor

It isn't your modems folks! I know numerous people that have changed the modems, didn't help anything!!! It's comcast, and notice none of their tech folk will even touch the subject!
Regular Contributor

Hi All, I know it is extremely frustrating when your connections don't work. I have had several problems similar, but I wouldn't automatically assume it's Comcast. Have you physically checked all your cables and your Network Interface Card? I like to keep a spare NIC just for troubleshooting. Last time I had a problem I spent 8 hours with tech support and they assured me their equipment was not the problem. Sure enough when I uninstalled NIC and installed a known good one, it fixed the problem. You can also get a cheap cable tester at Radio Shack to test your cables. Don't get mad and if you do that's the time to take a break so you can think straight. Anyway keep checking posts for ideas and good luck.
New Visitor

mbmike: I would agree with you accept I know 15 people in my area that have the same problem.
Bronze Star Contributor

I am reading this thread for the first time. In the Philadelphia area, I have recently experienced the same connection loss issue. When I lose the signal, the RCA modem still shows a solid light. I turn everything off, recycle and reboot...voila, connection is back. It has happened about 3 times in the past week. Based on the other posts here and the various geographic locations of posters, I'd agree that it's a Comcast issue. I wonder if anyone from Comcast reads this forum.
New Visitor

The same thing happens to me in Jersey.
It's unlike all other disconnections. When it disconnects all the lights remain solidly lit.
Unplugging the modem doesn't work to resolve it.
I need to reboot my computer then it autimatically connects. I've had them replace the modem 3 times already in the last 8 months and the same issue keeps arising. I'm leading to believe it's more of a software or configuration error, I don't know anymore. Just getting tired of the service : ( anyone have any advice ?
New Visitor

i have had this issue in IL and I have had comcast out to look at the issue. In my case it turned out to be the splitter out side the house that connects the cable from out of the ground and the cable comming into the house. This casued a weak signal in which the modem would keep losing it connection. Every once in a while moisture gets in and causes issues with the connection. once we unpluged tested and cleaned the cables and attached them all worked fine. (signal in side went up by 100%) It happened again I repeated and put some electrical tape over the joints and all is good so far.. This may not help you guys but it something you should try (or at least get comcast out there to look at)...

good luck.
Regular Contributor

Having connection problems here in Beaverton, OR also, it just started this past week.
It seems when I log on to the Comcast home page, then close it or sign off, I lose the Connection.
If I don't sign on to Comcast, everything seems to be OK
New Visitor

I have the same connection issues here in Atlanta, GA.
New Visitor

I'v yet to see one person post thier modem signal levels here that are having problems with thier connection.
New Visitor

I had the same problem in Napa County, CA when I first got broadband. The Comcast guys came out several times in the first few days and when I called support (got right through, it was before the transition)they could not figure it out.

The installer finally put on his modem and it quit also but he was able to see the problem.

Well the "voltage on the line" was to high and the modem would shut down. They came out to the box (amplifier) down the street, made the adjustment to get the transmitted voltage below 58 mV and I have not lost connection since and it has been a couple months. Check the diagnostics page of your cable modem to see if voltages are correct. (if the voltages are the same a listed in the modem specs there is a problem in between is OK)

Ask Comcast how to do this or to do it for you. I had to call Toshiba to get the instructions for my modem.

Just a suggestion..

Good luck.
New Visitor

I live in CT, i've been having this problem since November.... i've had 5 techs come by and the last one changed my modem and a cable in the gray box outside. I thought the problem was fixed but again today, i got disconnected. I want to change to dsl but i'm waiting to see if i get better deal from other providers. I have another appointment tomorrow to come look at the cable in the house... They have NO IDEA what is causing this... I thought it was only when i overflowed my connection with downloads but it got disconnected and the PC wasn't even on!! I'm seriously getting tired of this.
I will show this to the tech tomorrow... i'm very curious to see what he has to say!!
New Visitor

I have the same problem just outside of Philadelphia, zip code 19096. In the past week or two, I have had prolonged (several days at a time) when it doesn't come back at all. One time I had a problem where I could reach some web sites and not others!

I read in another thread that Comcast does not have enough IP addresses, so when too many people get on, some people get kicked off.

All-in-all, very frustrating. I'm also seriously considering going to DSL with Verizon. This is the only way to get COMCAST to care about this problem. Here is the link to Verizon...

http://www22.verizon.com/ForHomeDSL/Channels/DSL/bridge+search.asp?promotion_code=VZBNR/W28
New Visitor

I'm having the same problem in Jessup, Maryland.

Mike
New Visitor

I have been having the same problem in Atlanta GA. I have a technician coming out to look at the problem. It all started out that I was loosing my connection between 10 am and 3 pm everyday, now my connection is off and on. The light on my modem flashes and then becomes solid for awhile and then starts flashing again. Very strange!
New Visitor

I've been having the same problem, service is up and down..I've given up talking to comcast. Moving to SBC DSL instead for half the price..
Regular Contributor

> I have been having the same problem in Atlanta GA. I
> have a technician coming out to look at the problem.
> It all started out that I was loosing my connection
> between 10 am and 3 pm everyday, now my connection is
> off and on. The light on my modem flashes and then
> becomes solid for awhile and then starts flashing
> again. Very strange!

This happened to me last November (obviously while still AT&T). It is probably something to do with the signal strength. See earlier posts. Too high or too low and your modem cannot maintain block sync.
New Visitor

FIXED!!!! Here in Dallas I have had massive packet drops when I ping my GW 12.239.130.1 or 100.1. About every 6th or 7th reply would drop. The round trip times were 200ms+.

The solution, $60. I went to Radio shack and picked up a Line Amplifier. It boosts signals by up to 15dB. My round trip times dropped to an average of 35ms.

The box is purple with a whit top and bottom. It says " Bi-Directional Digital Cable TV Line Amplifier"

I hooked it up to the line coming in and out to my home-run box.

Hope this helps....
New Visitor

Also, if you have your cable modem plugged into a power strip with lots of other things. TAKE IT OFF!!! Plug your cable modem into an outlet by itself. I had issues with the modem itself loosing connection. Due to "Voltage Underrun", because of all of the stuff running on the powerstrip, plugging this into its own outlet fixed that problem.
New Visitor

Oh my g-d, you know I thought I might have been singled out here but you all are going through the same damm thing I have been for the last month. It's been HORRIBLE this week though, the worse it's ever been. Every day between noon and 6pm my connection WILL drop, I have begun to count on it.

So I called the service center about this yesterday and the lady made sure to tell me that if it was a problem with the connection IN my home I would be charged 49.99. I laughed at her and said I would not agree to that since my house was completely rewired from the computer to the pole back in September by ATnT. The lady at the service center finally told me that a tech would be at my home around 11am the next day to take a look. 11am came and went, finally around 3pm I called and there wasn't any trace of a service call ever being made.

Even while I've been posting this message my connection has dropped 3 times. Did this all day yesterday from noon til I don't know when since I was SLEEPING when it finally came back up.

I have to believe that there is something that us Consumers can do to protect us from this poor quality of service.
New Visitor

I just got off the phone with second level support and the tech said that it is related to the routers MAC address not being registered on there registartion server.

They said ATTBI allowed multiple devices on there network Comcast allows 1 Modem and one device(Computer or Router).

You can call them and tell them that you need to have you MAC address deleted from the Registartion server and them there is a website that they will have you go to to re-register your MAC address.

Hope this helps!
New Visitor

mbmike:
thanks for your advise but some of us are PC techs and have gone through all the testing on our hardware. I even replaced all the hardware by building a new computer from scratch. Sure, it worked fine for a couple of hours but then the problem came back again. Maybe you just got lucky but it is hard for me to believe that everybody who has the same problem in this forum happened at the same time. I contact Comcast already and had techs coming to my place. They still have not figure out what's wrong. Any other suggestions????
New Visitor

Computer tech here, also, from Tacoma, WA.

Same problems. I can guarantee the modem will go out between about 8AM PST and noon and be down on and off for hours until sometime after 6PM or so.

I called Comcast tech support -- again -- and spoke to someone rude named Vicki (typical for Comcast). We didnt go over the i-d-i-o-t-i-c "powercycling", but we didnt get anywhere, either. (Had to put dashes in "idiotic" because the forum robot seems to think it is profanity. These Comcast guys are getting a little "Big Brother" -ish ... Maybe they have to, since they are already under a class-action lawsuit for violating their users privacy. I wouldn't be surprised to see another suit for poor service, soon, as they did with AOL. I would darn sure join it.)

This is more than maddening, and no matter what that guy said earlier on, ATTBI was MUCH more solid and reliable than this. The connection problems are far too widespread to be isolated power surges or voltage drops.

Like to hear from someone in the area to see if our connections are failing at about the same time.

Frustrated in Tacoma
Message was edited by: Anonymous
New Visitor

I lose connection multiple times per night and often in the morning it's down as well, from 430am to 6am or so. Usually it's back in 10-20 minutes. Last night it was 90 minutes that I know of, it was down when I got home.

Not a machine issue as someone mentioned as all of our machines are affected at once and the modem changes to one or two flashing lights when it happens. Turning it or the router on and off don't help. We were given an amplifier last year with another service call.

Please post the MAC website?
Regular Contributor

Hey, my connection is great.... :smileyhappy:
Connection issues can be a tricky problem to figure out. It can be any number of problems. First, if you have cable tv, check that out. If your local channels are coming in snowy, it's a problem with a splitter or an f-connector. If catv is fine, it may still be a problem with the splitter, so make sure all of your coaxial cable lines are secure. If splitters look old, replace them. They cost about $3.00 at Radio Shack. Also check for any kinks in your coaxial lines, which may cause the copper inside to break. The technical term for this type of problem is called Ingress (signal leakage.)

Other connectivity problems may be due to configuration. Comcast configuration for all computers whether Mac or PC are dynamic, depending upon you OS, find out the dynamic configuration for it, and confirm you are set-up that way.

Home networking may cause a loss of connection, due to the router firewall properties. If you have a router and loss connection, just power cycle your router, and that usually does the trick. It also may be that your router is configured statically. Make sure it's configured dynamic.

Slow computer... Sometimes, connectivity problems are due to the computer booting slower that the modem. Check the ip address that you're getting. If you have Win ME or lower, run winicfg from your Run prompt. If you have Win 2000 or above, get into a DOS prompt and type: ipconfig and then press enter. If you're getting an ip that starts with 169... then just shut down you computer (not restart), then power cycle your modem (unplug the power cord for 20 seconds), wait until you see the lights synchronize on your modem then turn you computer back on. This will usually solve the 169... ip dilemma. If you have an ip of 192..., then it's a problem with your router (see previous paragraph). All Comcast ip's begin with 68... If you are getting a valid ip, then try to ping a website from the DOS prompt. If you can ping it then the problem is in your browser. Or, highly unlikely, a DNS server outage.

If all else fails call Comcast. There may be an outage in your area, or signal level issues. Signal level issues are hard problems to pinpoint. If it is required that a tech come out, please remember that they get paid for resolved jobs and not by the hour, so they are actually trying to resolve your problem...

And for all those that are considering DSL... Hey it's your option, but remember, it may be half the price, but it's also, 2 times slower, and they've got their problems too...
New Visitor

Same thing here in Va. I had no problems until Comcast made "improvements". How frustrating to be in the middle of something and have my computer shut down. I pay far too much money to put up with this!!!
New Visitor

Same in Minneapolis area. I just switched over from Qwest DSL and though it was slower, it never went down. VERY FRUSTRATING !! Also, we use Comcast for cable TV and when I try to access the menu it says the menu will be unavailable for "about 5 minutes" It's been over a week - same message.
New Visitor
New Visitor

What the one guy said was interesting, about Comcast having a list of our MAC addresses. The MAC address is simply the unique address of your network card, or Router. I decided to set my Router to give a certain address, and to just use that and nothing else. I mean, what if we try different network cards in our computers? (Because we keep losing connection). I don't want the Comcast network computers to freak-out over that. If nothing else it doesn't hurt anything. And, it eliminates one more possible problem.

Kudo's to who ever mentioned that.

P.S. You all know that you can click "Settings" and enter a name for all your posts. That way everyone isn't anonymouse! LOL.

P.P.S After 3 days of no problems at all I have had nothing but disconnections tonight. It's the same old thing. The modem looks fine and is blinking like it has a connection but no internet connection can be made. Then I kill power to it and the router and when I turn it all on it works again. Oh well, good luck everyone!
Visitor

Hi, I live in Trenton, NJ. I am so upset with Comcast. I only have connection for about 1 hour. It started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. They come out and said nothing is wrong when they test my modem. I got a new modem on Monday (Motorola SurfBoard SB5100) and it worked for about 1 hour. I called Comcast and they looked at my modem from the office and said "you have no connection." We'll send someone out. They came out yesterday. Two techs that didn't have a clue about what to do. They said that they will send someone to check the line in 3 or 5 days. Also, sometimes when I lose my connection, my On Demand with my digital cable don't work. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe someone can straighten out the mess that Comcast has created.
New Visitor

I'm a relatively new user from Sacramento, Ca. Since my Pacbell DSL committment was finally up I'm evaluating comcast HSI. Soon I'm make a decision as to which I will keep for the next year or two. Anyway, to make a long story even longer my cable modem loses sync every day around noon and generally won't sync back up until around 7ish. Have had the tech out 3 times now. Thursday's visit produced some kind of separate line outside the apt complex to my apt w/o having been split off a bunch of others. Made sense to me at the time. Anyway...about 48 + hours and all systems remain go. Yeehaw!
New Visitor

I'm in Atlanta, GA and also have this problem. I installed a wireless router and that is when my problem began. I have heard that the problem may be the NIC # that comcast has listed needs to be changed. Does anyone know anything about that?
New Visitor

I got a good comcast tech support guy on the phone the other day and he said that the problem is what they call the "One hour License". If you do a ipconfig /all and you see that your modem ip is only good for 1 hour, then what you do is type ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew...if it still shows an hour, then type ipconfig /renew again...it now should show 4 or more days...if it still shows 1 hour....well....then you have to call and tell them the problem....this completely fixed my dropped connections....it has not fixed my connection from locking up every few minutes, but at least im halfway there....
New Visitor

I have recently been switched to comcast from ATT. I have a four computer network which has worked flawlessly for three years, first with Media One then ATT. Now with Comcast I lose connection 2-4 times daily. I then have to reboot my router which I assume establishes a new IP address. What I dont understand is why I am losing connection when it never happened with my other providers.
Any help would be appreciated.
New Visitor

I just recently recieved high speed internet from comcast (actually it was last friday!). I haven't experienced any problems. But it seems like there are so many people having problems, Comcast couldn't possibly overlook these many customers having problems for this long. They've got to do something, and quick, or there gonna start losing alot of subscribers!
New Visitor

Also i've heard from a friend who has comcast internet. That he did have problems until he got switch over from ATT. maybe there giving everybody who used to have ATT a hard time a ignoring people that didn't subscribe until after that changed to comcast?
Regular Contributor

Check the system Outage Topic that Could be a reason that you are haveing trobule.

General Outage

Connection to the Internet is currently unavailable. Our technicians are aware of the situation and are working to resolve the issue.

I think some of these people have been having there problem since before the "General Outage"
Message was edited by: eporter85
New Visitor

I think some of these people where having this problem since before the "General Outage"
Message was edited by: eporter85
Regular Contributor

I'm new to this type of internet serice, I just got last wednesday, and so far for me its been prefect so far and it was running fine last. I'm at work so I do not know if I'm connected.
New Visitor

Maybe, it is a good idea to buy our own modems. Does anyone know which modems (make and model) work with Comcast network? Have Comcast ever specified the modem types that can work with their systems?
New Visitor

I am in Seattle I have been with ATT and then Comcast. I tis not your modem Comcast is having problems Nationaly and are working on it. They are much better than this most of the time
Crosenf1
New Visitor

Me too........hey we should get something going. I used to telecommute but that was up until July. Now I have no service. Maybe can get on for an hour a day. Tech support has done nothing but give me the run around. I am sick and tired of this B*. Instead of working from home I am driving up to 80 miles a day to go to work.

Sick and Tired of Comcast telling anyone considering it. DON'T DO IT.
New Visitor

That should be I am telling anyone cosidering signing up for Comcast "DON'T DO IT"....I am in the process of looking for another service. If I can't get anything else I will go back to dial up. "AT LEAST I CAN CONNECT".
New Visitor

i live in Southbend, Indiana. I ahve the same problem here... i have a D-Link Dcm-100 modem runs fast and works great most of the time but about every 10-20 mins i lose conection... and its REAL annoying... if any Tech people know what the REAL problem is they should let us know!
New Visitor

Computer Tech from Seattle.........
Don't even try to tell me it is hardware....EVERYTHING HAS BEEN SWAPPED OUT!!!! Voltage, not likely I have even swapped out the amplifier. This is a Comcast problem. I have been without service for weeks now. The only way I can get on is at work. All I get from the so called Customer Support is the run around. I am taking a copy of all of these posts and sending them to EVERY TV Station that has an E-mail address and all of the newspapers too. Some of you should do the same in your area.
I just want to scream when I see their ads on the TV. Yeah just what they need........more customers that they can't provide service to. We all need to quit paying our bills, that should get their attention. I have already told them that I am NOT paying for anything after July 23rd which is when I first reported the problem.