New Visitor

Letter says I must change my modem by Sept. 14

I received a letter from Comcast saying that my modem is an "older device" and may not be able to receive the full range of speeds offered by Comcast. Because of that, it says I should replace it before Sept. 14. I've used this modem for the past 18 months or so.

But when I go online to their "Browse Cable Devices" page, my current modem (Motorola SB5100) is on the list of modems that are approved (I think). Do I really need to get a new modem?

Would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Letter says I must change my modem by Sept. 14

If you don't have a neeed for speed, then the older modem will do your job. Video games play better if you have a faster connection, or so they say.  If your 5100 is working to suit you then let Run till it dirops. :smileycool:

Connection Expert
EG

Just be aware that you may get an unpleasent surprise one day when it suddenly becomes no longer supported and they send an end of life config file to it and it stops functioning..

Connection Expert
JamesR

EG wrote:

Just be aware that you may get an unpleasent surprise one day when it suddenly becomes no longer supported and they send an end of life config file to it and it stops functioning..

Thats what happens if you run it till it drops. :smileycool: The spectrum is Geek, Cautious and Conservative.

Geeks buy New when New becomes available

Catious buys new towards the End of Life for the Old

Conservatives do not expend funds except when forced by circumstance.

Connection Expert
EG

JamesR wrote:

Thats what happens if you run it till it drops.

"Running it till it drops" seems to imply a hardware failure rather than a deliberate lack of functioning imposed by the ISP to me ?

Connection Expert
JamesR

"Run it till it Drops" is vernacular for "Run it till it Stops Running".  It's an old Navy saying.

Connection Expert
JamesR

kenreed wrote:

I received a letter from Comcast saying that my modem is an "older device" and may not be able to receive the full range of speeds offered by Comcast. Because of that, it says I should replace it before Sept. 14. I've used this modem for the past 18 months or so.

But when I go online to their "Browse Cable Devices" page, my current modem (Motorola SB5100) is on the list of modems that are approved (I think). Do I really need to get a new modem?

Would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

If you can live without your internet connection long enough to go down and buy an new modem when the old one ceases to work then you can wait.  If not having Internet service will cause you pain and anguish, then head on down to the getting place and get a new modem before the cutoff date

Service Expert
Bartleby

And it seems like a good question to kenreed, regarding what specific speed package they have right now...and whether they intend to upgrade to anything higher?  Chances are (if he's been happy up until now), there's no reason to worry about the "full range of speeds offered by Comcast".

Not to discount the points from EG and JamesR, of course.  :smileywink:

Service Expert
Bartleby

[ Edited ]

Removed duplicate post caused by an apparent glitch in the post editor.  Told me I had to fix a problem (which I didn't find), but posted anyway.  And I've no idea why the text looks washed out thanks to font color that got applied--and not by me.  My 2 cents worth not important enough to fix, IMO..

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Aside  ... sometimes the font color changer doesn't. I can't get this editor to change font size (I tried to make this text bigger, but it will probably revert to normal when I post it).

I believe Comcast will trade modems for you for free if you are renting it. If you own it, maybe keep an eye out for a newer one going on sale.

I tend to be one of those Conservative folks when it comes to computer hardware. However, that does not explain why I had an iPad delivered the day they were released.

Email Expert

EG wrote:

If it's an approved modem, why would they suddenly send an invalid config file to it? Comcast should declare an end-of-life data well in advance of that.

That's what confused me about his situation. This seems to be the warning he would get if he had an end-of-life modem, but he doesn't.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Is it possible that although the OP's modem is okay and appropriately provisioned, the record of it that Comcast has for billing is that it is an older one? Did the letter specify what model of modem needed to be changed?

It seems to me that an appropriate modem that Comcast lists as appropriate should keep on working. The OP investigated and should be okay.

But know that if there is a way for something to get messed up, it will get messed up somewhere across the country. Keep your fingers crossed that it isn't you.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Barmar wrote:

If it's an approved modem, why would they suddenly send an invalid config file to it? Comcast should declare an end-of-life data well in advance of that.

Is that a rhetorical question ? Don't ask me "why".. I don't make policy... I've read of this happening.