Visitor

Lynksys router and Smartzone

Ever since Comcast went to the new e-mail system, Smartzone, I have been unable to access my e-mail with out disconnecting my router. I spent 3 days on the phone with Comcast before one person finally suggested I disconnect my router. I would prefer to have the router/firewall connected when I'm searching the web. The router I have is a Lynksys BEFSX41 wired router. I'm using a PowerMac G5 with o/s 10.5.5 and I'm using Mozilla Firefox. As I told the people on the phone, I can do everything except access my e-mail when my router is connected. It's a REAL pain to disconnect my router to read my e-mail, then reconnect it to access the web. Any help out there??
Regular Problem Solver

Re: Lynksys router and Smartzone

Upgrade your router to the latest firmware.

Log into it and make sure you don't have the firewall set to block anything, like advertisements, activex controls, javascript, etc.  These can all interfere.

Upgrading to the latest firmware and resetting to factory defaults should cure any buggy behavior though.

locjohn wrote:
Ever since Comcast went to the new e-mail system, Smartzone, I have been unable to access my e-mail with out disconnecting my router. I spent 3 days on the phone with Comcast before one person finally suggested I disconnect my router. I would prefer to have the router/firewall connected when I'm searching the web. The router I have is a Lynksys BEFSX41 wired router. I'm using a PowerMac G5 with o/s 10.5.5 and I'm using Mozilla Firefox. As I told the people on the phone, I can do everything except access my e-mail when my router is connected. It's a REAL pain to disconnect my router to read my e-mail, then reconnect it to access the web. Any help out there??

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
I've never seen a router's hardware SPI firewall that can directly block ads, ActiveX or Javascript.
Message Edited by EG on 11-29-2008 01:55 AM
Networking Expert
Baric

Most routers can certainly block ads by website.  Your typical website with ads doesn't host the ads locally, they get them fromsome ad server, which can be blocked using the access restrictions controls in a decent router.

Blocking Javascript is usually not possible, that's generally controlled at the local browser level.  More sophisticated firewall appliances can strip scripts out of web pages, but doing so wholesale would effectively break a great many websites.

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

They exist, I used to have a 2-wire that would allow it, and I think dd-wrt had some options for stripping and blocking certain things too.  Not that its a good idea to do either.  Figured it was worth mentioning.

Considering the router is the issue and everything else going through it works, it has to be something "upper layer" related.

Baric wrote:

Most routers can certainly block ads by website.  Your typical website with ads doesn't host the ads locally, they get them fromsome ad server, which can be blocked using the access restrictions controls in a decent router.

Blocking Javascript is usually not possible, that's generally controlled at the local browser level.  More sophisticated firewall appliances can strip scripts out of web pages, but doing so wholesale would effectively break a great many websites.

Message Edited by Drinkingbird on 11-29-2008 08:07 AM
Visitor

Thanks for your interest and input. I will try your ideas and get back to you.