Contributor
bassman9000
Accepted Solution

Misled by Comcast: Cisco DPC3939 is NOT supported

This is my last resort, I've been calling Comcast non-stop for the last 10 days, and I still have no solution:

I bought a new Cisco DPC3939 cable modem because I wanted a Cisco, and it was the only supported one with integrated Wifi. "Supported", because it is listed in Comcast's DOCSIS information center:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?devid=357

I took a screenshot, just in case they decide to remove it: http://imgur.com/ImQFcLO

Now, for the last days I've trying to register and activate the modem, without result. I've been told a several different things, like

• That the modem is not supported: FALSE. Proof above
  • That I can't have this modem, it's only for Triple Play, and I just got Double Play (internet & TV). FALSE: it's a cable modem, should be perfectly valid for internet, otherwise it should be clearly stated in the supported list
  • That they cannot provision this modem, because they don't have the activation code. This is the greatest mislead: Comcast is listing a modem as supported, when it's clearly not, when they cannot even provision it!

I went to the Comcast store yesterday, hoping they will be able to help me. They told me the same story: they couldn't register it, and that I had to call the same number I've been calling for days.

Last call yesterday, I was told the "cannot provision it" story again, that I had to buy a new modem, and that the best they could do is offer me $20 credit... for a modem that is worth more than $100.

I've been misled by Comcast, to think DPC3939 was a supported modem, when it's clearly not. I don't know if they'll support it soon, but I don't care, I'm paying for a service that I'm not receiving, because I don't have a working modem.

Tip: if you're thinking about buying your own modem, make sure you call Comcast first to verify they will have no problems registering and activating it.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Re: Misled by Comcast: Cisco DPC3939 is NOT supported

I Agree kind of misleading. However gateway devices are not really the best choice if you want a stable solid network. Your always better off using a stand alone modem and a good high quality router in the long run you will be much happier. YMMV !
Contributor
bassman9000

Thanks Jim, but I kindly disagree. I've setup and worked with both approaches, and, given the approach I'm looking for in this case, the single-stop solution is better. 

Cisco has always provided good networking devices and wifi AP, and I don't want an extra device or two to take care of AP or routing tasks.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Understood, good luck with whatever setup you decide to go with.
Official Employee

[ Edited ]
They are supported and used daily but the question is if your market allows customer owned gateways(emtas) not all do.
Official Employee

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/GATEWAY-2-Not-delivered-DPC3939-and-TC8706C...

Someone had success getting one provisioned it may depend on who you get on the phone if your market allows customer owned gateways
Contributor
bassman9000

Thanks for the answer, Andrew

Still mislead: Comcast, as a company, declares DPC-3939 is supported. If there are local restrictions, it should be clearly stated.

As a customer, it's not my responsibility to deal with the particularities of Comcast's regional organization. 

Comcast knows my address, it knew when I choose the non-leased modem option. 

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

andrew.lindsay wrote:
They are supported and used daily but the question is if your market allows customer owned gateways, not all do.

Yes this is due to the eMTA / telephone modem component of it. As Andrew stated, not all local franchises yet allow customer owned eMTA's to be used on their systems. If you also have their phone service there may be a problem. YMMV.

It may be better if you call or go to your local CC service center and ask / confirm there.

Official Employee

FWIW, I have had one of those since August and the difference between it and the other gateways are night and day
Contributor
bassman9000

About the Triple Play, as I said on my first post, that was one of Comcast answers. That person that got it provisioned has Triple Play, I don't. 

As someone that has worked in the industry, I can't conceive how provisioning 3 services is easier than provisioning 2.

Recognized Contributor

Where did you buy the modem?   The only  DPC3939 I found on the web was on Ebay & Amazon. They both had the Xfinity logo on them. Comcast doesn't sell modems. You might have bought a Xfinity modem that was activated by someone else & later sold it online. This might be why Comcast won't register it to your account.

Contributor
highway222

Please don't believe everything  Comcast tells you.  I have one of the new cisco modems from

Honk kong.  They gave me them same story.  We don.t have this gateway on our computer list.

We cannot provision it.  I persisted and it is working great.  They want to keep making their

8.00 for rental. 

Connection Expert
EG

Your local franchise must allow customer owned eMTA's. Some still don't.

Contributor
bassman9000

Thanks hollowlog. Yes, I got it in Ebay, bought from a Hong Kong store.

The device was advertised as new, so it couldn't have been activated and registered.

If that's not the case, then Comcast should be able to tell me it's registered to another owner, and with Comcast's official response I would be able to file a complain in Ebay against the seller.

But Comcast is just saying it's not provisionable. No case.

Contributor
bassman9000

Thanks, same story here.

But I've called way too many times. Time is precious, and there's no point in saving money by buying our own modem, if I'm spending it battling against Comcast.

Contributor
bassman9000

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

andrew.lindsay wrote:
FWIW, I have had one of those since August and the difference between it and the other gateways are night and day

Is the dpc 3939 the only gateway thats considered an xb3 instead of an xb2? Was just on the phone with comcast and they aid they can send me the " latest xb3 gateway made by arris" if its the mg 2402  I want it but if its the 862 I'll pass. whats the diff between an xb2 and xb3 the only info I see on comcasts websites refer to gateway 1 or gateway 2 and the only listed 2 is the dpc 3939

Contributor
highway222

we can hope that this company will change its ways and learn how to keep

customers happy.  I love all the company slogans when the say that the customer is first.

In reality only the dollar is first in there actions.  We can only hope google fiber will cover

all of the United States at some point.  Competition is the only equalizer in this world.  They

treat their customers different when they are competing against fiber and fios.  You can

get lucky and get a good customer service person like I did. 

Recognized Contributor

Their are quite a few combo modems on Comcast's approved device list that are not available on the retail market. The Arris TG862,SMCNetworksSMCD3GNV are a couple of examples of modems that are manufactured & branded for Xfinity. Your DPC3939 was probably made in China & somehow got on the internet for sale. The Xfinity logo on any modem should raise a red flag that you'll have a problem activating it. I wish Comcast would have 2 separate approved devices list that would show 1 for retail sale & 1 for lease.

Contributor
Wynnyrd

I have my DPC 3939 activated for internet, but phone out for 24 hrs+ now.  They say phone support does not have the "settings" yet and have to send ticket to higher level techs.

Contributor
Dnguyen321

I also have a DPC3939 bought off ebay from HK.  Internet works fine, no problems.  I am on the Triple Play XF in Massachusetts.  They can't get my digital voice to work with it though.

Comcast tech support convos I had to go through:

1st Rep.) On hold for 30 min.  OK, let me check with our billing department.  Sorry, your modem is not supported by Comcast.  Go online to check the list of supported modems.

2nd Rep.) On hold for 30 min.  OK, I can activate your modem for you.  Internet is working, but I have no idea what the heck is going on with your phone service and why it ain't working.  See ya!

3rd Rep.) On hold for 30 min.  What in the world the did the last guy do to add this modem to your account?  It's all out of whack!  What the heck is this?  Oh OK... Wait, what?   Let me talk to the billing dept.  Let me ask my supervisor.  OK, so my supervisor told me that Cisco does not allow us (Xfinity) to activate/provision telephone service on home-purchased DPC3939 eMTA's.  Only home-rented, business-rented, or business-purchased DPC3939's can have telephone service provisioned.

Should I even bother to try calling again?  I wish they would just transfer me to the next knowledgeable person rather than giving me a different excuse why they can't figure how to activate it each time.  Or yell out in the tech support room, "Has anybody successfully added a Cisco DPC3939?"  Then let me talk to that guy.

Contributor
Wynnyrd

They have my phone working now, I'm an hour west of Philly.  Not sure if temporay or not.  Phone part has to do with the Cisco router being the newer "ims" type only and your account is most likely set for the older "cms".  Not fully sure technically what that means yet.

Regular Contributor
romatc

I just bought this modem from Ownyourcablemodem.com. I hope this warning from comcast is false. http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?devid=357 I'm in North Jersey with triple play and I'll update this post after I try to register it.

Regular Contributor
romatc

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the heads up Dnguyen321. Can't wait to see if I'll be able to set this modem up and register it after buying my own. Wish me luck...lol.

Official Employee

[ Edited ]
Romatc, concerning that link it's not false and as always when you buy equipment overseas , buyer beware. Also confirm that your market allows customer owned gateways , some don't. Go luck.
Regular Contributor
romatc

Hey Andrew, Thanks for your reply. I did not buy mine off of eBay or China retailer (even though this gateway is made in China) I bought it  from a USA base retailer here http://stores.ownyourcablemodem.com/new-cisco-dpc3939-xb3-dual-band-wifi-telephone-gateway-comcast-x... Comcast did tell me I could swap my modem for this gateway but I failed to ask if owning my own would be a problem. I'll update after I get it. Thanks Again, Roma

Official Employee
jlivingood

Official Employee
jlivingood

bassman9000 wrote:

Thanks for the answer, Andrew

Still mislead: Comcast, as a company, declares DPC-3939 is supported. If there are local restrictions, it should be clearly stated.

As a customer, it's not my responsibility to deal with the particularities of Comcast's regional organization. 

Comcast knows my address, it knew when I choose the non-leased modem option. 

The list is of all devices approved for use on our network. This device was made specifically for Comcast and is not available in retail. Some of them were stolen and are now for sale on the Internet; we will not activate those devices. 

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Regular Contributor
romatc

Hey JL, I saw that warning too and I guess that's why Comcast told me to call with the serial number instead of using XFINITY Connect through the browser.

Contributor
Dnguyen321

Is it possible to buy ANY eMTA telephony modems legally?  It seems like the only ones Comcast links out to buy are regular internet modems/gateways without telephone support.  There are a bunch of Arris/Motorola eMTAs for sale through Amazon, eBay and other online stores.  Are any of those legal to buy?

http://mynewmodem.comcast.net/

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Dnguyen321 wrote:

Is it possible to buy ANY eMTA telephony modems legally?  It seems like the only ones Comcast links out to buy are regular internet modems/gateways without telephone support.  There are a bunch of Arris/Motorola eMTAs for sale through Amazon, eBay and other online stores.  Are any of those legal to buy?

http://mynewmodem.comcast.net/

The caveat would be this;

The first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC.

If allowed, be sure to buy brand new out of the box modems. Sometimes used ones wind up listed as having been stolen / un-returned in their database and they won't provision them for service.

Contributor
Dnguyen321

Thanks for the suggestion EG.  The caveat to your caveat is that not all Comcast employees have the same knowledge level about what can be done/not done, provisioned/not provisioned.  If I go into a CC service center in one area near my house, an employee can tell me one thing.  Then when I go to a CC service center in another area near my house, an employee can tell me the exact opposite.  Same goes for service technicians who come to your house, and same goes for customer service techs over the phone.  Almost nobody knows the full capability/restrictions of activating an owned modem simply becuase not enough customers are doing it for it to become a standard known procedure for techs to handle.  Only the few expert technicians understand the system and how it works to activate customer-owned eMTA's, and there are only about 1 in 20 out of all Comcast employees.  The annoying thing is, you can only find one of these "experts" after having to go through all of the rest of the un-knowledgeable people, extended hold times, and repeated denials or excuses why it can't be done.

I was successfully able to activate an eMTA in the past, and partially activate my new eMTA (no telephone).  Moral of the story is, don't trust anybody you talk to from Comcast until you have spoken with at least 20 different technicians/supervisors, even if they tell you it's not possible, not supported, or not approved.  Since I have already been able to get it to work in my area twice, I know for sure that is possible to provision a cutomer-owned modem.

The only thing I am waiting on now is for Comcast to provide a source/vendor where I can buy a "legal/approved" eMTA telephony modem.  But that will probably never happen since they are perfectly happy making $7/month off the subscribers who pay for tv/internet/phone packages with their rental units.  Until then people will just keep having to resort to buying "illegal" eMTA modems, and hope to be connected with a knowledgeable technician to activate it.

Connection Expert
EG

Dnguyen321 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion EG.  The caveat to your caveat is that not all Comcast employees have the same knowledge level about what can be done/not done, provisioned/not provisioned.  If I go into a CC service center in one area near my house, an employee can tell me one thing.  Then when I go to a CC service center in another area near my house, an employee can tell me the exact opposite. 

What can I say. This may indeed be true in some / many ? cases.. I only suggested actually inquiring at a local service center because it is they (local people) who would likely know best about the local francise's policy compared to the national 1-800 number phone reps would. I've seen posts here and at other forums indicating that the local personel have more reliable knowledge. YMMV.

New Visitor
jbal52

I have to agree with Jim. A separate modem and router would be the way to go. After doing a bit of research, I have found various reviews and technical articles which advise the same thing. A gateway also gives poorer perfomance as far as capable range which is the main reason I decided to go with separates. Currently I am running the Cisco DPC 3008 modem and the Cisco (Linksys) EA4500. There were no problems connecting the system and this is the first combination of equipment where I did not have to routinely restart either my modem or router.

Connection Expert
EG

Indeed !! Guess you don't have the added complication of having their phone service.

Visitor
julio_maciel

Very interesting dialogue around getting a different answer everytime you speak to a different Comcast person. 

My question is about getting this DPC3939 directly from Comcast. I just went through asking for it last week, was told it was being shipped, after confirming 3 times, but today a Technicolor 8305 arrived. I am now told by Comcast that they cannot ask for a specific modem; they can only ask for a Wireless Gateway and whatever ships out is what you get. 

Anyone confirm this or have any suggestions, besides calling and seeing if I get a different answer next time?

Regular Contributor
RMHC

julio_maciel wrote:

Very interesting dialogue around getting a different answer everytime you speak to a different Comcast person. 

My question is about getting this DPC3939 directly from Comcast. I just went through asking for it last week, was told it was being shipped, after confirming 3 times, but today a Technicolor 8305 arrived. I am now told by Comcast that they cannot ask for a specific modem; they can only ask for a Wireless Gateway and whatever ships out is what you get. 

Anyone confirm this or have any suggestions, besides calling and seeing if I get a different answer next time?

No personal experience with this, but I have read here over and over that this is what happens. Reps on the phone can say whatever they want about what is being sent out but you get what you get. I've seen people post that's happened multiple times.

Regular Contributor
romatc

Connection Expert
EG

Post removed due to a deliberate forum language filter circumvention violation. Please keep it clean here and do not attempt to bypass the filter. thanks.

Visitor
spudler_t

Interesting as i have seen this modem listed for sale by quite a few companies and not just on Ebay, Not to mention I read an article where the owner of a reputable company had quotes from a few distributors on the 3939. Maybe comcast is upset that people can get out of the rediculous $8 rental fee.

I think the fee is ludicris when they decide they want to set up a Xfinitywifi on (Your Modem) As far as I can tell if you pay rental fees it is yours until you no longer rent it.

I also am wondering why since this has been out either a little over a year or close to it they do not have any available locally?

I am getting tired of using the technology challenged one i have Is limited to just 130Mbps and only has 2.4 Ghz when all of my devices are capable of Dual Band connection of 2.4 and 5Ghz and speeds up to 400 Mbps.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

[ Edited ]
If comcast was worried about customers getting out of the rental fee they simply would not allow any customer owned equipment. Nobody says your have to rent from them buy your own modem and router it will work much better anyway then using there devices. If you have there phone service depending on your area you may be stuck with one of there gateways but you could bridge it and still use your own router.
Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

I rent the modem with voice but use my own router and it supports 2.4 ghz, 5 ghz and the new ac1750