New Visitor

Modem constantly needs to be reset....

I have only had my Comcast internet service for 1 week. Just about every day the lights all go out on the Modem and it has to be reset. Is this normal? We had Time-Warner Cable internet service in California for quite awhile and this never happened there. Is there anything we can do to correct this problem?
Regular Contributor

Re: Modem constantly needs to be reset....

What make and model is the cable modem?
New Visitor

Sorry this is so long but I hope it gives you some insight. I sent this response to a slow email poster because I shared the same problem - but my experience with my modem and connectivity will be of interest to you.

e-Mail? Slow? By what standard? Hint: Before you go out and buy a bunch of new equipment, run defrag or anything, and this includes writing an email...go over and open a free HotMail account. Now you have something to compare Comcast performance against.
I believe you will discover what many already know.
I have internet via Comcast cable and have several ongoing issues with speed, quality and availability of service. Comcast has always been polite and responsive....they just have a hard time resolving issues. Part of the reason is that they have brainwashed their helpdesk and service techs into believing they have the best network and service on the planet and that any problems out there are the result of something you and I have done or have not done, which, admittedly is often the case. Regardless, as a result they are generally reluctant to go the distance to get to the actual issue. When it is their issue...they will rarely admit it. You cannot know how many times I have been kicked off line and when I get back online I go straight to the Service Center link on the home page to find the my service is "Healthy". One day we discovered that we could have cable tv or internet service, but not both. That was weird. Called the toll free tech line. Explained problem. You will find that their first line of response is "your stuff is the problem". Don't go there with them: I have replaced (under warranty) every piece of hardware between the wall outlet and my computer. I have several problems with this: first, replacing all that hardware under warranty (the cable modem and the wireless router) simply drives up the cost of doing business for the mfr, in this case D-Link. That my friends eventually costs us all money. The mfr has to recover the costs somehow. I replaced the equipment AFTER I had Comcast techs out to measure signal strength and check cables and connections to the tv and computer. In fact, the tech substituted his modem for my modem (later we found that he had bypassed the splitter and fed the cable directly to the modem, which we had tried before. This test was well intended, but by bypassing the splitter and TV, he erroneously determined that it was my modem that was bad) That did not fix my problem. A call to the 800 number revealed that I needed a new splitter. Ran down and bought one. That did not fix my problem. Another call and I was told to bypass the wireless router and connect the cable directly to the cable modem (been there, done that). Next I replaced the category 5 cable between the cable modem and the computer. We then reconnected the wireless router and replaced the cat 5 cable between the cable modem and the router. Oh, and did I mention the amplifier that one of the agents recommended? Never mind that the amplifiers don't amplify that portion of the signal that I needed in order to receive internet access. Gee, guess it's not the equipment after all! Have you downloaded all the latest drivers and firmware upgrades? How about your operating system upgrades? Internet explorer upgrades? I did all this over the course of about 2 months. Finally, had the techs out again...guess what? Cable issue out in the yard....turns out the signal, originally tested, was simply "at the lowest possible point of "acceptable range" and frankly wasn't strong enough to keep the system on line. The problem was that I had nicked the cable with an edger while doing yard maintenance....as the elements worked their magic the signal became progressively worse.
Hind sight is 20/20. I guess if we had a marginal signal maybe we should have tested the signal at say, the house and then at the terminal box down the street. If we had noted the significant signal loss between the terminal box and the house maybe, just maybe, we could have saved two months of B.S. My point (again), all the employees are taught (by management) that the trouble is with you, me and our equipment...or it is something we have done.
O.K. I cut the cable and destroyed the signal...how could you come into my house, put a tester on the line and tell me that I was within acceptable parameters when clearly that was not the case. It took two months and another crew to perform due diligence to uncover the actual point of signal degradation....that should have been trouble shooting 101 on the first call.
Trouble is not over. We have not been able to stay on line for weeks..I have to keep unplugging that cable modem. We are talking 2-6 times every evening! Back to the 800 number. Man, they start talking smack about my equipment and my set up again, telling me they don't support systems with a wireless router and to bypass it. Well I have done all that and still cannot stay on line for any extended period of time. My thoughts are: it worked last week, why won't it work today? And no, I haven't been digging around in the yard. I have my suspicions about service in the Auburn area where I live, but have not found anyone with any knowledge that will talk about what those issues may be. Comcast has issues, and it is more than a slow email server or two. This outfit needs a purging and I am willing to testify to anyone who will listen. This morning I am home, sitting on the sofa listening to DMX, the digital music service called Music Choice? I have been having ongoing issues with it as well: Pops and clicks and interruptions. I have been logging them since 7:40 this morning: I have logged 46 audio interrupts and 44 video interrupts. As a point of reference, it is now 8:25. I will copy this email over to a word document and save because I have learned that I connot write an extensive email and rely on the system to be available when I press the "send" key. I am on the phone again with these guys. This is my fourth digital box (I live in the Auburn, Washington area south of Seattle.)
Nothing personal against their people, they are just saying what their supervisors tell them to say. This company's management and their technology vendors are the culprits in this little scenario. And to rub a little salt in the wound: these jokers keep sending me a monthly bill of three bucks shy of a hundred every month-can you believe that? What's worse- I keep sending them the payment hoping things will get better. Who's the idiot in this story?!! This is my public testimony folks: Comcast, you and I are about to part company. This is a bad relationship: I keep giving and you keep taking.
If any of you who have read this have experienced anything similar, I would love to hear your story. I find it hard to believe that I am the only client who has a D-Link cable modem, a D-Link wireless router, can't stay on line for more than 30 minutes, gets lousy digital service and pays "full boat" month in and month out, keeping the faith that "some day" I will receive the quality of service I am paying good money for. I love that line from an old movie that goes "There's a sucker born every minute". Unfortunate for me that my state of denial has precluded me from noticing the stick 'ol Comcast stuck up my back side making me one of the biggest suckers in recent memory.

email me your experiences with Comcast. I am at

roger.huska@comcast.net
Most Valued Poster
Zathros

> I have only had my Comcast internet service for 1
> week. Just about every day the lights all go out on
> the Modem and it has to be reset. Is this normal?

No, it's not normal. Your connection should be 24/7, rock solid. A modem unable to maintain sync usually indicates a line noise problem.

Call Comcast. They'll need to send a tech out to diagnose and repair.

Since you're new subscriber, you're probably on some sort of free or low cost month? Make sure you document everything carefully! All your calls, the name of the person(s) you talk to, the ticket numbers, etc --- you'll need it when you duke it out with the billing department...

- Dan.
- Dan.
  EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
Regular Contributor

Rather than call (the call techs aren't worth a ****)I'd go on-line with a chat agent. They'll do the diagnostics and then write up a ticket and give you the number. That way the tech has some data when he/she comes out (not that this guarantees the tech will actually be able to help). It could be noise, or a low signal. You need to demand the tech check all of your connections, including any line splits (particularly if they are in an attic or other area subject to wide temperature swings).
If it's a low signal, it's easy to locate and fix. Even if it's outside your home.
New Visitor

It is a model DCM315 - RCA
New Visitor

Hi Hayseed,
Judging from your letter, this does not bode well for me getting a solution to my problem. I have already been kicked off line about a dozen times in the past hour, and the lights on my modem are absolutely going ballistic. I have neither the time nor the patience to do what you have done.........
Regular Contributor

I've got one of those, too. Until the tech comes thursday to run me a new line, I've just got the cable coming straight to the modem, instead of split to the tv/modem. When I'm done I guess I gotta hook the tv back up so I can WATCH IT. This is retarded.
New Visitor

I live in the auburn area and for a week i have been having the same problem, constantly turning my modem off and on. I was about to replace the modem since i have the original modem from when it was at&t and the on and off switch doesn't work but tomorrow I might just check the cable line. I had a kid mow the lawn the other day and I can't remember if it started then. Thanks for the info
Contributor

I think I have my cable signal as clean as I can get it, but I still have to reset my modem about twice a week.

Once in a while simply turning off the modem for a few seconds then turning it back on gives me a "Cable" light, but most of the time I also have to unplug the cable from the wall then re-connect it.

Can anyone explain why unplugging the cable makes any difference with a powered-off modem ?
Recognized Contributor
johnd

What make/model of modem do you have? What are its signal levels (most can be access via http://192.168.100.1)?