New Visitor
donguero

Motorola SB6121 firmware upgrade desired

Hello,

I have a Motorola Surfboard SB6121 modem that is currently running firmware version 1.0.3.3.  I wish to upgrade to the latest firmware because I believe that it may resolve an issue I'm having with the modem periodically freezing.

But I find myself in a quandary.

The device is designed such that only the service provider can update the firmware.  So, I sent an email to Comcast support requesting the upgrade, and they replied stating that "I have reviewed your account and confirmed that your modem is a purchased modem. For purchased modem, we actually do not support firmware upgrades."

This model is on Comcast's list of supported modems, but the tech is correct in that I did not acquire the modem from Comcast.

It is my understanding that the latest firmware for this modem is version 1.0.6.1.  I have been able to locate release notes on this firmware, but not the actual firmware file.

I am in the Houston, Texas area.

Any thoughts?

Rick B.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Motorola SB6121 firmware upgrade desired

The "tech" gave you bad info. Your modem's firmware is updated automatically when the firmware is rolled out. It makes no difference if the modem is customer owned or not. Customer service can not update firmware, these updates are handled from the cable system's head end.

New Visitor
mortaneous

I'm having the same issue with the same modem, and my modem is also showing that it's still using the 1.0.3.3 firmware, so it seems that the head end isn't pushing the update.  Since it's been available for more than 4 months now, I have to wonder why.

Contributor
slamb

I can't answer your question, but where did you find the release notes? I also have a Motorola SB6121 and would be interested in seeing them. What specifically are you hoping for in the upgrade?

FWIW, http://192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm says "Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH", so it sounds like I'm running the same version you are.

New Visitor
daneharrigan

I've got the same exact problem and same modem/firmware versions.

New Visitor
mortaneous

[ Edited ]

I just googled for sb612x 1.0.3.3 release notes.  One of the results was a Customer Release Notes pdf from motorola.

Under Known Issues there is a listing for a lock-up involving Dynamic Channel change messages (from the CMTS, presumably) which I believe to be what I'm experiencing given the seemingly random timing of my freezes.

New Visitor

Any resolution to this issue?

i have had drop out problems off/on for months and the unit will not connect for hours.  Tech support could not update teh FW and Motorola would not.  ALthough Motoroal said my signal levels were too high and that may be causing a problem which i need help with (TBD).

New Visitor
jrzsurfer

[ Edited ]

I am having the same issue.  I have called Comcast support several times, each time spending 30-50 minutes on the phone only to have them tell me they'll send a tech out.  I've had techs come out twice, they don't see an issue and say the signal strength is fine, and they leave.  Then 30 minutes later my internet goes out.  My SB6121 is running 1.0.3.3 and I looked up on Motorola support and they give the following:

"We apologize about the inconvenience, but your Motorola modem does not support manual upgrades. Motorola is not allowed to control the upgrades of DOCSIS devices, per the standards specification.  Any firmware or software changes must be implemented via the cable network. Your cable provider can update the firmware based on what they have approved for their network distribution. Because of that Motorola is not capable of installing firmware for cable modems.  Please contact the cable operator to obtain information on upgrading firmware on the cable modem."

Sooooo Motorola and the end user cannot upgrade the firmware, but then if the ISP doesn't do it how will my issue be resolved???  I could go buy another router but what would keep it from having the same issue?  

COMCAST - PLEASE GIVE FIRMWARE UPDATES!!!!  They're made for a reason - to solve issues....since neither tech support nor the technicians who've come to my house have solved them it's time to push out the firmware update to address these problems.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

[ Edited ]

I know that's got to be a huge headache, but there really is no way to upgrade just one modem's firmware by calling in...  It would be done in a large batch, as scheduled maintenance, most likely in the middle of the night...  Whether the firmware is even being prepared for deployment should be the question...

New Visitor
jrzsurfer

Ok fair enough - can't update individual devices.  But this is a common modem and one with all three check marks and three stars on Comcast's supported modem page.  What more do they want me to do?  If it can only be done all at once, how would getting a new modem make any difference if it misses that update and ships with the old firmware?

I have a motorola 5100 that runs fine but because it's not DOCSIS 3.0 the speed is less than half what I am currently getting through the 6121 when it's connected.  It seems like the devices should be updated automatically every night or week to make sure any new hardware is up to spec in order to keep things running smoothly.  If this issue can't be resolved by the end of my first billing cycle I probably won't bother getting a different modem because the same issue could just happen again.....to which there is no remedy.  These things should just work when you plug them in, I shouldn't have to mess with it at all.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

FWIW The stars u see in the comcast page does not mean its any better then any other modem it simply means they have done more testing with it. The 6120 and 6121 are very senitive to signal specs and some people have problems with them if they have any signal issues at all.

New Visitor
jrzsurfer

[ Edited ]

So what modem would Comcast recommend that I use?  Because the techs who came to my house said they would have simply swapped mine out because all of theirs are refurbished and are pretty much hit or miss, but then how many would I have to go through before getting one that works? My router is new, and works most of the time so I don't think it's simply a dud....what options do I really have?

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

[ Edited ]

Well if you have issues with your service it really dont matter what modem you use it will have problems, that being said if it is your modem and your looking for a rock solid modem that workes great and wont need to be replaced any time soon I recomend the Zoom 5341J (note the J) best modem i ever had docsis 3, 8x4.

Connection Expert
EG

I'll ditto Jim721 on his modem recommendation !

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Does that Zoom actually use all 8 bonded channels when the service is only say 24/4?  I would think it would only use what it needs based on your bandwidth from comcast, so I'm seeking clarification...

Contributor
ManOfSafety

I am too having intermittent connection issues with my 6121. My connection gets worse at night. It either drops for minutes or restarts for no reason. I have had techs come out and tell me my signal is good too. I believe a firmware update would resolve my issues...

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

bnaughty wrote:

Does that Zoom actually use all 8 bonded channels when the service is only say 24/4?  I would think it would only use what it needs based on your bandwidth from comcast, so I'm seeking clarification...

My understanding is that a DOCSIS 3 capable modem will lock on to however many mutiple bonded channels are configured / present on the local CMTS regardless of ones subscribed to speed tier but that they also have the ability to program code into the config file to have a modem select / point to a fixed number or even a single channel (both upstream and downstream) depending on the speed tier and what the local engineering team decides for the particular local area.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Thanks for the explanation!  If there were a thanks button, I'da pressed it...

Contributor
Gundam2400

I have the same issue as well. If anyone find the resolution, let me know please!!

Contributor

Just to add on to the pile, I also own a SB6121 and until recently it was providing excellent service.  Withint eh last couple of weeks, I'm forced to power cycle about once a day to restore service.  I wonder if enough SB6121 users complain if it will push Comcast to push any known "fixes" and/or updates??

Rick

New Visitor
somebodyelse

I own an SB6121 and until recently had the firmware from 2010 (1.0.3.3) and the modem kept losing signal and I had to power cycle it or wait 5-20 minutes for the signal to come back.  I lost signal 1/4 of the time and lost signal in the middle of a video conference which was really annoying.  My firmware got updated two nights ago to 1.0.6.6 which is new as of April 2012 and I haven't lost connection while using my computer yet, although the modems' configuration page says it's uptime is shorter than the last time I power cycled it so maybe it lost signal while I wasn't using it and rebooted.  All my signals are within the tolerated ranges, the modem was just getting kicked off for no apparent reason but now it's running more smoothly - the only change being the firmware updated to 1.0.6.6 - not sure how to get that out to your machine since there is no way to formally request it from Comcast.

Contributor
Gundam2400

rickeduncan - I agree with you. I hope we have enough users to push comcast fix the issues. If just one or two users have problems, It can be the hardware issues. But it seems like more than a couple users have the same issue. It clearly shows comcast has issue and not willing to fix it. And Comcast continuously raising the price of its services!! Unfortunately, there is no alternative provider. If FIOS is available in my area, I will jump ship immediately.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Possiblity removing it's current provisioning (rolling the modem) and provisioning it again will get it up-to-date...  Have to call in for that...

Contributor

Please report your results.  I'll wait to call about reprovisioning until you get your response.

Thanks,

Rick 

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

bnaughty wrote:

Possiblity removing it's current provisioning (rolling the modem) and provisioning it again will get it up-to-date...  Have to call in for that...

I Don't have an SB6121 or any service issues for that matter...  I was suggesting that anyone with a SB6121 should try that...

Visitor
ddvdave

I have the exact same problem. I have a ticket open with Comcast Tier 2 to call me back this week.

Yesterday a technician came out and replaced all the wiring from the pole to my cable modem. That didn't help.

I had them "roll the modem" and reprovision, but didn't get the update. I, too am _stuck_ at version 1.0.3.3.

I got the same runaround: "We don't provide firmware updates for modems, you'll have to call Motorola." to which I responded with some gems from this Forum thread (thanks to all for the ammo). They seem very confused by the issue.

I will update once I have a call back from Tier 2. Maybe I can convince them that others with SB6121s (and possibly other makes/models) are having terrible issues and that they really ought to do what's best for the customer and post the firmware on their head-end gear for everyone's benefit.

Stay tuned... (if you can)

Contributor

Well folks, had issue again this morning and power cycled my SB6121 and Netgear router as usual.  I sort of kept an eye on the modem lights and after I saw they were looking correct powered up the router. Then I noticed the modem lights cycled off and on again.  I thought this was strange.  It's like it power cycled a second time.  Oh well, I had connectivity again and when I checked the Modem logs something caught my eye. (Sorry for the wrapping of the paste below) 

Jul 24 2012 06:14:006-NoticeE112.0SW download Successful - Via Config file
Jul 24 2012 06:12:446-NoticeE102.0SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6121_silver_c01.cm

I checked the Help page of the modem and it appears a push was done:

Model Name: SB6121
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 5.0
Serial Number: 
Firmware Build Time: Apr 17 2012 15:09:37

I don't recall the firmware date but do recall it was 1.0.3.3 (or at least matched what was posted earlier in this thread.  Sorry fro rambling but perhaps a power cycle will initiate an update for those wanting it.

Time will tell if this resolves the "issue".

Thanks,

Rick

Visitor
ddvdave

I, too got the 1.0.6.6 firmware update last night (Marin Co., CA). Thank you so much to the Comcast MSO folks for finally pushing out the update!

I am hopeful this is the end of this nightmare! I'll post in a few days to confirm that everything is running normally.

New Visitor
Z3ljk0

[ Edited ]

Just got the update in Indiana after rebooting the modem in the modem gui, hopefully this fixes my problems 

Jul 24 2012 12:04:21 6-Notice E112.0 SW download Successful - Via Config file

Jul 24 2012 12:03:05 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6121_silverpboost_c01.cm

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Firmware update is evident when the send and recieve blink in unison, so whoever has this issue, should powercycle, see if that happens, then it will reboot again when finished

Contributor
ManOfSafety

I just receieved the new firmware update as I resetted the modem in configurations. Hopefully this alleviates the problem!

Visitor
jon-graham

Not sure if this is related, but my old SurfBoard modem died and I purchased a SB6121.  Firmware shows:  Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH.  I'm loosing my Internet connection for 15-30 seconds at a time occasionally.  Nothing in the log files tell me anything useful.  If I go to SIGNAL on the modems web page I can post values if anyone would know what to look for.  I called Comcast and they said there's nothing they can do except send someone out.  They "sent a signal" and said if it happens again call back.

Connection Expert
EG