New Visitor
jimmylion1

Motorola SURFboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

I just got comcast high speed internet and i didnt want to pay $7 a month for the lease modem so i bought the SB6121 from newegg. However when try to activate the modem online the modem always reboots itself and i can activate. i honestly dont know if this is the internet's issue or the modems issue.

Any helpful tips you guys can spare me?

If the problem is the modem can you guys reccomend another one that a decent price?

-Eric (Jimmy is my dad's name)

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Motorola SURFboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

[ Edited ]

We need more information please:

- Post your upstream and downstream signal levels. Click the link or type: http://192.168.100.1 into your browser. We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). You may also want to contact Comcast and ask for your upstream SNR (uSNR) and receive level.

- Post your modem’s error logs.
- Post the make and model of your modem.
- Post the make and model of your router if you have one.
- Let us know if you contacted Comcast or had a tech visit.
- Let us know what the lights on your modem are doing when you are having problems.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Did the modem ever work? Did you call CC and ask them to set it up on your account? The computer set up process does not always work. call them tell them you want to set up your customer owned modem.

Connection Expert
EG

Jim721 wrote:

Did the modem ever work? Did you call CC and ask them to set it up on your account? The computer set up process does not always work. call them tell them you want to set up your customer owned modem.

FWIW, If the modem is not in "block sync" mode they will not be able to see it or provision it for service.

New Visitor
denvermcb

I am having the same problem.  On my second sb6121 so suspecting it is comcast.

Contributor
Zeiban

I had the same issue.  You actaully have to call Comcast and manually give them your modem's info. The web provisioning will not work.