New Visitor
ArtShults
Accepted Solution

Move my cable modem to a different outlet

Can I move my cable modem to a different outlet in my house (already working) and then with a splitter have the TV and the Cable Modem share the same outlet?  I would like to move my wireless router to a more central location in my house to increase the bandwidth to other networked computers. 

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Move my cable modem to a different outlet

[ Edited ]

If the signal stats are adequate at that outlet it should be able to accomodate the split. Post the modem's stats at the jack that is currently being used. Get them here; http://192.168.100.1 Compare them to the other jack and the splitter in line there.

Connection Expert
JamesR

ArtShults wrote:

Can I move my cable modem to a different outlet in my house (already working) and then with a splitter have the TV and the Cable Modem share the same outlet?  I would like to move my wireless router to a more central location in my house to increase the bandwidth to other networked computers. 

Quite probably doable.  Follow direction vy EG above.  Just be careful to use the proper splitter.  Got to be Cable Rated.  Safest to get one from the Comcast payment center but Best Buy should do as well. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

As James stated, if you go to Best Buy, purchase the official Comcast High Speed Internet kit for about $15, which includes a Comcast approved 2-way splitter and a couple of high quality coaxial jumper cables, a short and a long one.  This would be if you can't get one at the local Comcast office or flag down a Comcast tech.

You would be better off with this than buying a Best Buy splitter and coaxial jumper cable hanging on the peg hook.

hsi.JPG