New Visitor
San134

Moving cable internet modem from one room to another

Hi networking experts,

I am trying to move the comcast cable internet modem from one room to another room. When I connect the cable modem to coaxial outlet in 'new' room, 'internet' light on front of the modem keep on flashing (internet doesn't work). However, when I reconnect the model to coaxial outlet in 'old' room the internet works fine (internet 'light' is solid).

I thouht that modem will work on any outlet in my apartment. Do I have to call comcast technician to check the outlet connections? Or Is there any other way that I can fix it on my won at home?

Thanks

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Moving cable internet modem from one room to another

Either the line to that room / outlet is disconnected or the RF signal levels / connection quality is insufficient at it. Can you connect a T.V. up to that outlet as a test to see if it works at all ?

New Visitor
San134

Thanks EG for quick reply.

I don't have cable TV so cannot check if TV signal is there. 

Connection Expert
EG

If you somehow can trace the coax line from that room back to where it comes from (typically to a centrally located splitter somewhere possibly on a wall on the outside of your home) you could see if the line is still connected to it. There may be internal wiring problems or a bad splitter behind a wall somewhere or just too many splitters causing too much signal attenuation. This is all a guess as I can't see your wiring config / setup from here. If you get a tech out from Comcast to investigate, be advised that if they find wiring / hardware issues at your premises (you own this wiring), then you would likely be levied a service charge.