Contributor
BOWMAN_KIM

My internet won't work

Okay so my laptop connects to the internet, but won't display any pages and comes with an error saying the page took to long to load. I was wondering if I should just forget the TG862 and get a EA 4500 and bridge them together. It's getting annoying now and slow. Anyone know how I can get the replacement TG862 for free as post here? 

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?tier=-1&devid=318&e=0&d3=0&s=&so=&sc=280

Thanks for any help :smileyhappy:

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: My internet won't work

I'd suggest you call 800-363-2416 (Comcast's gateway support team) and have them place the gateway into bridge mode. If you use your own router you'll have better performance and more control. If you decide to simply swap modems, just call Comcast and they will swap it free of charge.

Contributor
BOWMAN_KIM

Okay, so what router would you recommend? I was looking at the cisco ones like the EA3500 and EA4500, but I don't care to pay the extra just to get the online cloud servers so maybe just the E4200? And then I can use the TG682 for the modem and then call them and ask them to bridge them together?

Networking Expert
kevj

If you don't need the cloud services, then the 4200 would probably be a decent buy. You could go cheaper in the Cisco line, but it depends on your anticipated usage....

If you call the number indicated, and ask them to place your gateway in bridge mode, it will act like a standalone modem...all of the router functions will be disabled. You would then connect your new router's Internet port to the gateway, and connect you PCs to the Cisco router's LAN ports. The first time you set it up, and configure wireless on the Cisco, use a PC that is hard wired to the router using an ethernet cable. Once you have the wirelss set up, and you have verified it works, you can go all wireless if you want, but if you want to make changes to the wireless config in the future, connect using an ethernet cable to do it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
BOWMAN_KIM

Well when you say anticipated usage do you mean how long I plan to use it for or what? I would have at the max 15 devices which I know is alot, but normally maybe 6 to 8. 1 hard wired computer. But yeah I also only have the 25mbps, but I get 38mbps which is pretty sick :smileyhappy:

Networking Expert
kevj

What are the devices used for? Gaming,Video streaming from Comcast or other services? if you do these ona regular basis, then I'd stick with the higher end router...if you only browse the web and do email, then you could save yourself a few buck by oing with one of the lower Cisco models.

Cisco isn't your only option...Netgear make some good routers for the same price range, along with D-Link...most of the experts here would advise you to shy away from Belkin...sounds like a lot of negative experiences with them...

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
BOWMAN_KIM

[ Edited ]

Yeah I do alot of video streaming through netflix and youtube and gaming. Those are the 2 main things. So the 4200 would be a good option? And also would the refurbished one be any good or should I go for the new one for the extra $40?

Networking Expert
kevj

The 4200 will probably be a good option for you..regarding the refurb or new...personal preference really...If the refurb was done by the manufacturer, has a decent warranty with it, and you want to take the chance, go ahead and save yourself $40...personally, I would probably by the brand new one....but that is justt my preference...

Help us to help you!!

Connection Expert
EG

BOWMAN_KIM wrote:

But yeah I also only have the 25mbps, but I get 38mbps which is pretty sick :smileyhappy:

FWIW, that's likely to be just their short lived Powerboost bursting effect..

Contributor
BOWMAN_KIM

So your saying it won't be like that for long? :smileysad: But yeah I am pobably gona go for the 4200 when I get the money.

Networking Expert
kevj

BOWMAN_KIM wrote:

So your saying it won't be like that for long? :smileysad: But yeah I am pobably gona go for the 4200 when I get the money.

That is not what EG means...the Powerboost feature provides a 'boost' to a download for a brief period before settling back down to your 'advertised' speed....most speed test sites do not test long enough to to get out of the powerboost phase...so you see what may be an artificially inflated number for your download speed.

The Shaperprobe speedtest detects traffic shapers, such as speedboost, and provides you with a more accurate representation of your internet speeds.

Help us to help you!!

Connection Expert
EG

Exactly Kev. Thanks !