Contributor

Need Help Installing New Modem

UPS is going to be dropping off a new modem today ... a Motorola SB1520 DOCSIS 2.0 --- and I need some instructions on how to install it and have it work with Comcast.  Its on the list of "certified" modems that will work with Comcast.  The reason I got is because I have a very old DOCSIS 1.0 cable modem and its starting to have some problems ... loses the cable signal from time to time ... and other services I use tell me their networks have a hard time with the old modem.  In any event, how do I swap in the new Modem?  Do I need to call Comcast?  Do I just switch the wires from the old modem to the new modem?  Thanks much.
Regular Problem Solver

Re: Need Help Installing New Modem

1.  Call Comcast tech support and tell them you are doing a modem swap.  You will need to read them the MAC address off the bottom of the new modem.  If you're feeling lucky, ask them to take the new modem out of the walled garden manually.  If you plan to give away/sell the old modem, tell them to make sure its fully de-registered and removed from your account.
2.  Shut down and disconnect your old modem
3.  Plug new modem into cable line and PC
4.  Connect power to modem and wait for 4 solid green lights (plus the orange light if your PC is turned on).  It can take a little while sometimes with a new modem.
5.  Reboot the router again as it likely got new firmware, wait for 4 solid lights (faster this time usually).
6.  Launch a web browser and try to go to any page, if they didn't take you out of the walled garden, it will redirect you to a comcast page where you have to accept terms and conditions, etc.  I think they make you download software now to do this, it used to be a simple form you filled out on the page.
7.  Enjoy.

CAP2007 wrote:
UPS is going to be dropping off a new modem today ... a Motorola SB1520 DOCSIS 2.0 --- and I need some instructions on how to install it and have it work with Comcast.  Its on the list of "certified" modems that will work with Comcast.  The reason I got is because I have a very old DOCSIS 1.0 cable modem and its starting to have some problems ... loses the cable signal from time to time ... and other services I use tell me their networks have a hard time with the old modem.  In any event, how do I swap in the new Modem?  Do I need to call Comcast?  Do I just switch the wires from the old modem to the new modem?  Thanks much.

Contributor

Re: Need Help Installing New Modem

Thanks bird ...