Contributor
dmaddox44

Need IP address for Comcast

I am trying to complete the SMTP server setup for my Samsung all-in-one printer. Set up correctly, I can have faxes and scans emailed to me. I have the choice of including the Host Name (i.e., so smtp.comcast.net) and Port (587), or including the IP address. The last time this feature worked for me (before my motherboard failed and I upgraded to Windows 7), it only worked using the IP address. How do I get the correct IP address? I did a pathping to comcast.net from a command prompt, and I got this message:

Tracing route to comcast.net [207.223.8.109]

Then all the IP particular from my house through 8 different comcast IP addresses.

Then the last IP address listed: 75.149.230.250

I tried using the 207.223.8.109 and then the 75.149.230.250. Neither one worked. I got a "job status failed" printed message each time as well as a connection error on the printer's LCD.

The scan-to-PC and all printing and faxing work fine. Oonly the email setup is a problem.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Need IP address for Comcast

If you are going to use an IP address, it has to be the IP address of the SMTP server, smtp.comcast.net, not your IP addresses or that of comcast.net.  You shouldn't use the bare IP address, it might change and then things will break again.  Use the host name, smtp.comcast.net.  If you use port 587 (and I recommend it), make sure your printer supports password authentication or the connection will fail.  If it doesn't support authentication, then switch to port 25.  And make sure the printer has proper DNS servers so it can resolve smtp.comcast.net to the valid Ip address.

Contributor
dmaddox44

I took your advice and set it up to use the host name rather than the IP address (that is probably why it used to work but no longer does--probably had an ip address change).

These are the entries I used:

On the SMTP SERVER SETUP PAGE:

IP Address or Host Name = [I selected host name)

SMTP Server = smtp.comcast.net 

SMTP Port = 587

SMTP Requires Authentication  = [box is checked]

SMTP Server Login Name = [only the part of my email address that appears before the @ sign]

SMTP Server Password = [my email account password]

SMTP Server Connection Timeout = 30

Then on the NETWORK SETTINGS - TCP/IP PAGE:

Host Name = [assigned automatically]

IP Address Assignment Method = STATIC

IP Address = [my computer's IP address]

Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

Gateway Address = [our network's IP address]

Domain Name = comcast.net

Primary DNS Server = 75.75.75.75

Secondary DNS Server = 75.75.76.76

Dynamic DNS Registration = [box is checked]

I performed a scan-to-email test, and while the LED indicated the printer was sending the scan, it then printed out an E-mail Confirmation Report that indicated "Failed" as the job status. Then the LED indicated "Send Error (DNS)"  I used comcast.net standard primary and secondary DNS numbers.

Do any of these entries about look wrong to you? I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Networking Expert
kevj

The IP address should be a unique one in your network, not the IP address of your computer and the gateway address should probably end in .1 - in technical termes, the 'network address for your LAN is an address that ends in .0, and it is usually never used under normal circumstances...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Networking Expert
Baric

I agree with kevj, the IP address is the PRINTER'S IP address, not your computers.  If you wish to assign a static IP, then find one on your network that is not in use and not handled by your router's DHCP server (you can find this information on your router's admin site).  For example, my HP 6500 is configured at 192.168.1.20.

The gateway address should be the IP address of your router.  This is usually 192.168.01. or 192.168.1.1.  It should be the same gateway address as reported by ipconfig /all on your desktop.

I would remove the domain name, its not really necessary in a small home network.  I would also UNCHECK the Dynamic DNS registration option unless you are using a dyndns service of some kind.

Contributor
dmaddox44

The printer (xxx.xxx.1.101) is connected to my computer (xxx.xxx.1.111) by network cable. The network cable is connected to a router (xxx.xxx.1.1), which is then connected to the Comcast Cable box (xx.xx.240.1). Are you saying I need to use a different IP than 1.111--my computer--or 1.1--the router--but in the same subnet (the cable box IP certainly didn't work)?

Before my motherboard blew and I moved up to Windows 7, I was only able to use the Comcast IP address (rather than smtp.comcast.net as the Host Name) and receive faxes by email, scan-to-pc, etc. But since that happened, I haven't been able to get my hands on the correct IP address to put in that box.

Networking Expert
Baric

Whoa, the printer is connected to the computer by a network cable?  That's not right, it should be connected to the router, in the exact same way the computer is.  In essense, the printer is a full computer, albeit with a very specific function.  As such it needs an IP address just like your computer does. 

You have to be careful not to assign the printer an IP address that the router might give to some other device (like a new laptop, etc).  I can't tell you what would be a good choice unless I see what the router's DHCP address range is.  Typically, if the router is at say 192.168.1.1, and your computer has an assigned address of 192.168.1.111, then the lower range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.99 is usually unused and available for use as static IP's, so something like 192.168.1.10 might be a good choice, but this is all guess work until you tell us what the router's DHCP range is.

So yes, assign an unique IP address to the printer that is on the same subnet as the computer, but is not in the router's DHCP range.

Contributor
dmaddox44

Oops! That's not right.

[ Edited ]

I misspoke. The printer and the computer are BOTH connected to a router. My husband read all your messages and corrected me on that statement. Sorry for giving you a heart attack!

Because of all the messing around I did with the TCP/IP setup, neither fax-to-email nor scan-to-pc would work (!!), so I reinstalled the printer software. Scan-to-pc now works. So does Fax-to-email, but scan-to-email does not. Doesn't that seem odd, that my faxes can go the email route, but not my scans? I get an instant "SMTP error" message as soon as I click "send." The SMTP Server Setup shows:

SMTP Server Host Name = smtp.comcst.net

SMTP Port: 587

SMTP Requires Authentication: [box is checked]

SMTP Server Login Name: [The text before the @ sign for my email address]

SMTP Server Password: [My Comcast.net password for this login name]

SMTP Server Connection Timeout: 30

Maximum Message Size: 10 MB

I can't think of anything else to do except possibly to try to use the IP Address rather than the Host Name. How do I find the IP address for smtp.comcast.net? I tried pinging it, but the request times out.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Oops! That's not right.

dmaddox44 wrote:

SMTP Server Host Name = smtp.comcst.net

I assume that's just a typo?  If so, then it looks correct, although you did not post the network settings.  But if hte fax to email option is working, then I it appears tbe correct and I have no idea why the scan to email doesn't work.  We know it's not the SMTP definition, or the fax to email would not work, so I would turn your attention to other printer settings.  Have you contacted Samsung?  I'm not directly familiar with that printer, so I have no knowledge about what else might need changing to make the scan to email function work.  Are the possibly two different SMTP server setups, one of the scan function and another for the fax function?  Is one implemented in software on your computer rather than direct on the computer?  If so, then check your printer software for configurable options.

New Visitor
cholby

[ Edited ]

Comcast uses "sticky DHCP" meaning that your IP address is pretty static, but can change if they want/need it to.  Once a given MAC address makes a request, comcast will give the same IP to that MAC address each time, unless it hasn't seen that MAC address for a long period, (I think over 3 or 5 days, maybe even more than a week but I have not measured).  You can spoof a MAC address on most routers, but after 3 or 4 Comcast's computers says "okay, that's enough" and won't assign you new ones.  So if you spoofed 4 MAC addresses and then forgot them, for example, you're screwed and tech support will be unable to help.  You'll just have to try to remember one of the 4 MAC addresses you forgot, or wait several days without internet.  Apple products do not allow for MAC address spoofing, so I use a TRENDnet 4-port 10/100 switch (very cheap) and have the Airport wifi access point configured as a bridge, so wireless clients are getting their internal LAN (192.168 addresses) from the TRENDnet router.  Power-cycling your cable modem will not speed up the expiration time of these sticky IP addresses, and as soon as you use a MAC address (for example, thinking... hmmm I wonder if this MAC address has expired and I'll get a new IP) the clock resets to zero and now you're stuck with that MAC address and IP for another 3-7 days.

As an aside, the command that you can put into MacOS X's Terminal (command line interface) to generate a random, valid MAC address is:  "openssl rand -hex 6 | sed 's/\(..\)/\1:/g; s/.$//'" (without the quotes...caution: there is an apostrophe at the end so don't accidentally omit that as well)

If you are reading this, consider yourself lucky.  You WILL NOT find this information anywhere else on the internet, and even if you did, it wouldn't be grammatically correct or clearly communicated.

dmaddox44 should also check if comcast blocks SMTP.  Most people are completely stupid and have no business running an SMTP server lest their computer be hacked and used as a point of origin for spam e-mail, so I think lots of ISPs block those ports.  You may have to change the port.  Why Samsung has the printer email directly from its own SMTP server I don't know--it seems like it's asking for trouble.

Faxes don't happen often, but when they do, they're often important.  Do you really want your printer to fail at an important time?  They always do and you know it.  Use myfax.com or some other service for $10 a month and you'll avoid bashing your printer in a blind rage down the road.  So in that sense it's actually cheaper.  Boom: now you're getting your fax in PDF form emailed to your phone, and you can reply with a fax, too!

Contributor
dmaddox44

Much of what you wrote is "way over MY head," but I will pass it along to the IT person who was helping to get my fax connected. Thank you for putting so much of your time and effort into the explanation. I appreciated the correct use of grammar as well (I'm a technical writer)!

New Visitor
cholby

I know it's an old question but I found it on google so it's now up for any interested comcast users.  Your IT guy will appreciate the insight, however, as it's one of those "good to know" things.  Most people don't know the little nitty gritty of how comcast does it, yet everybody uses comcast.

Connection Expert
EG

cholby wrote:

You can spoof a MAC address on most routers, but after 3 or 4 Comcast's computers says "okay, that's enough" and won't assign you new ones.  So if you spoofed 4 MAC addresses and then forgot them, for example, you're screwed 

Hmmm. I've never found that to be the case.