Contributor
sam_net
Accepted Solution

New Cable modem

hi,

I would like to replace my SB5101 with my own modem. Can someone suggest a good one which offers router with 11n 5GHz connection?

I'm going through the approved list of modems and preferrably would go to a  DOCSIS 3.0 modem as I've performance connection.

Thanks

Connection Expert
EG

Re: New Cable modem

Motorola SB 6120 and your own "N" capable router. No combo modem/router gateway devices...

Contributor
sam_net

How about SBG6580?

Regular Problem Solver

That's a gateway device, I believe......

Most give a "thumbs down" to gateways.....if one section goes down, you're out both a router AND modem....!

EG has the best advice, IMHO.....

Good Luck!

Contributor
sam_net

Bought Zoom 5341 and it's working fine. :smileyblush:

Connection Expert
JamesR

Thats a good thing.

New Visitor
8thdayconsultin

Will it work no matter where you live? 

We are in the Chicago area and I am looking at a zoom purchase and need to make a decision by Monday night.  I have a coupon for Staples for $25 off.

Other than unplug the Comcast modem and plug the new one in, what else do I have to do?

Where do I take the Comcast rented modem?

Thanks

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Take it back to your local office and be sure to get a receipt that they received it.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Keep your returned modem receipt in a safe place. Don't forget where you put it.

This will be proof that it was returned to Comcast if they "lose" it and you are asked to pay for it.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Connection Expert
JamesR

8thdayconsultin wrote:

We are in the Chicago area and I am looking at a zoom purchase and need to make a decision by Monday night.  I have a coupon for Staples for $25 off.

Other than unplug the Comcast modem and plug the new one in, what else do I have to do?

Where do I take the Comcast rented modem?

Thanks

After you plug the new one in, call comcast and ask then to Activiate / Provision it for you

At the top of the Forum page are five tabs and a search box

Click on the Shop tab

Click on Retail Locations

Enter your Zip Code in the box and hit enter

There you will see addresses for Comcast locations

As said before, make sure you get a hand receipt and keep it in a sfe place

Another good thing is to wait a few days and then call in to Comcast and make sure the return of the old modem is showing in the database.  If not ask them to look and see where they provisioned your new modem.

Connection Expert
EG

sam_net wrote:

Bought Zoom 5341 and it's working fine. :smileyblush:

FWIW, so far I have read nothing but good reports/reviews about that modem.

Connection Expert
EG

8thdayconsultin wrote:

It has recently been added to their "Approved Modems List" so yes, it should "work anywhere".

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/DisplayCMDevice.php?device=245