New Visitor
Xarkath

New Modem setup

Hello,

I just got a new modem and it would not automatically update with Comcast so I called them.  I was told they could not help me and that a tech would need to come out because I could not supply them with a MAC address that started with 000.  The new moden is a Motorola SB6120; has anyone else encountered this problem?  There is only one MAC address listed on the moden and it does NOT start with 000.

The last time I replaced a modem it was a 30 second call to get it connected, I see no reason to have to wait for a tech to visit.

Thanks

Contributor
bkmjk

Re: New Modem setup

Xarkath wrote:

... t because I could not supply them with a MAC address that started with 000.  The new moden is a Motorola SB6120; has anyone else encountered this problem?  There is only one MAC address listed on the moden and it does NOT start with 000.

Is it possible the customer service rep. was really asking for your account number rather than the MAC address of the modem?  I doubt the CSR has a list from Motorola of MAC addresses for specific models of hardware.  I'd try a second call to see if there was a misunderstanding.  Keep us posted and good luck!

New Visitor
Xarkath

She kept saying she needed the MAC address that started with 000.  When I looked at my old modem it indeed had 2, one of which did start with 000 but the new modem does not.

I cannot be the only user with this model being that it is currently the only one being sold in my area so it can't be an unknown product.  I do forsee another call to Comcast.....

Contributor
Bears4All

There are 3 Mac addresses to look for. The Ipv4 and the Ipv6. Also using the USB plugin has a seperate Mac. Sounds like a bad tech. I have at times changed my modem thru the years, and I have always bought my own. Either customer service (billing) can do it, or tech support also. There is no reason for them to come out just to input a Mac address. Call them back and have them try all the Macs that are the sticker for the modem. GOOD LUCK!

Connection Expert
EG

You need to use the HFC MAC address.

New Visitor
Xarkath

EG, that is indeed the address I gave the CSR.  It is the ONLY MAC address available on the moden or the packaging.

Regular Contributor
scottryanmead

You dont even need to call, just hook up the cable modem, open your browser, you will be greeted with Comcasts "walled garden" page, which will walk you step by step getting the new cable modem up and running. click on existing customer, you will need your account number, and make sure you select the option "replacing modem"

Good Luck

New Visitor
Xarkath

I'll give that a try.  However, I may have found the problem causing the disconnect between the CSR and myself.  Not sure though.  I was reading through the user manual and noticed something I did not before.  It has a section stating I can record the MAC address "here".  "Here" is an underlined section meant to hold the addess and it starts with 00:.  Could those actually be be missing zeros to make the address whole and conforming to what the rep was asking for?

Connection Expert
EG

scottryanmead wrote:

You dont even need to call, just hook up the cable modem, open your browser, you will be greeted with Comcasts "walled garden" page, which will walk you step by step getting the new cable modem up and running. click on existing customer, you will need your account number, and make sure you select the option "replacing modem"

Good Luck

This works in many market areas but not all unfortunately.

Connection Expert
EG

Xarkath wrote:

She kept saying she needed the MAC address that started with 000.  

Never heard of that before and I can't understand why that would be... Sorry, but we are just fellow customers here so we can't authoritatively comment on that, but it sounds like bunk...

Regular Problem Solver

EG wrote:

Xarkath wrote:

She kept saying she needed the MAC address that started with 000.  

Never heard of that before and I can't understand why that would be... Sorry, but we are just fellow customers here so we can't authoritatively comment on that, but it sounds like bunk...

Or just outdated information. Older Motorola cable modems did have MAC addresses with "000" as the first three hex digits, but that's far from true today.

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt for the current list of Organizationally Unique Identifiers (MAC address vendor prefixes).

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

N.M.

New Visitor

Three MAC addresses?  and a fourth for the USB?  I don't think so Bears4All.  The device has only one MAC address and id does not necessarly begon with "000".  Bad tech support person.

Connection Expert
EG

The original poster hasn't returned since June. Older thread closed.