Visitor

New modem - can't get past welcome screen

I took my old modem to the local Comcast location and traded it for another one because it was not working properly.  I set up the new one and have not been able to get past the welcome screen (download software screen).  I have downloaded the software and tried reinstalling it probably 10 or 12 times in the last 72 hrs and every time I complete it successfully I can't get any other webpage besides the welcome screen.  I have been calling Comcast's 1 800 number for 3 days, estimating a total of over 100 calls and I have not been able to talk to a single person!!!  Is anyone there?!?
Connection Expert
EG

Re: New modem - can't get past welcome screen

[ Edited ]
Look on your Cable bill, or in the White pages of your Phone Book for their local number, and try using that.

Message Edited by EG on 08-20-2006 02:18 PM

Visitor

I can't get there.  It's a miracle that I made it here.  I'm keeping this page open because any new ones I open go straight to the welcome page again.  Even this page has the welcome note at the top!  :smileycry:
Connection Expert
EG

I've edited my reply above.
Visitor

I turned off my computer and unplugged my modem for a few minutes and booted back up.  I was able to make it back here almost long enough to submit my reply.  It went to a page not found screen.  This is my second attempt.  I called the different phone number on my cable bill but it took me to the same automated response with no hint of a person.  It eventually just hangs up on you.  I expect to be returned to the welcome screen at any moment.  If I disappear, that's what has happened. 
Connection Expert
EG

There's not much else we fellow subscribers can do for you here other than to tell you that you might try shooting a private message to the Forum Admins Jason or Michael, about this issue.

They may be able to escalate this for you, although it is the weekend, and I'm not certain that they are online.
Visitor

Well, I finally made it back on for a few minutes.  I'll see if I can send a note to one of the admins before I get cut off again.    Thanks for your time.
Connection Expert
EG

Good luck to you :smileyhappy:
Contributor

..I had this happen to me the other day after replacing my modem..try this,...(worked for me)...first...I'm assuming you have a router...pull the power from the router....with no power going to the router, pull the power from the cable modem...wait a few minutes....power up the cable modem...after a few minutes when the modem has completely powered up and went to all green...plug in your router...hopefully this will work....my 4th tech call told me this and it worked. good luck.. BC
Connection Expert
EG

Actually, Comcast recommends that you do not have a router in the equation when trying to register the Modem from their registration page.
Contributor

Had that issue when I swapped out my modem last week.  Check your IE settings and make sure that it's not trying to use a proxy.  Apparently when I tried to run that same software, it had enabled a proxy server that was causing all kinds of issues.

Hope that helps.

MtA
Contributor

This happened to me when I got a new cable modem.

I downloaded the software, all 26 MB of it, without any trouble.

When I clicked on the executable, nothing happened.  I got no screens.  I thought maybe it didn't work on my os, win 98.

I called the comcast 866 number. 

The person answering knew exactly what to do.  He took my modem MAC address, put me on hold, and called some other department, and soon it was working.