Contributor

New to Comcast -self install problems/modem problems?

Please bear with me as I don't speak computer jargon at all.

I was attempting to hook my mom up with the comcast self install kit.  She has a Motorola 5101 modem that came with it. 

I hooked everything up and downloaded the modem software without a problem.  When I began the install of the comcast self install disk, I ran into trouble with the connectivity page.  I would not resolve to comcast.net.

I was on the phone for what seemed like forever with comcast and they said the brand new modem was probably faulty.   I gave them the MAC numbers, etc. and after not being able to connect me, they asked which lights were lit on the modem and when I told them the "online" light was not lit, they said the modem was no good. 

After talking with another tech, I was told the reason the kit wouldn't work is because I wasn't online.  My question now is do I have to have a dial up connection in order to download comcast???  That just doesn't make sense to me??    I was told to hook the modem back up again and if it didn't work to call for a comcast service person to come out to the house.

Since I have to drive over an hour again to my mom's to make this attempt at hooking up again, can someone please give me a little advice on what the problem may be before I go out there and waste my time again??? 

It's not a dedicated line, there is a splitter and the tv is working just fine. 
Contributor

Re: New to Comcast -self install problems/modem problems?

One more question... should I be using the ethernet cord or the USB cord??  I'm not really sure what the difference is :smileyconfused:
Contributor

Have you tryed to reset your internet connections on the computer this might help. :smileyhappy:
Contributor

Ethernet cord
Connection Expert
Joe

ugottabekidding wrote:
Please bear with me as I don't speak computer jargon at all.

I was attempting to hook my mom up with the comcast self install kit.  She has a Motorola 5101 modem that came with it. 

I hooked everything up and downloaded the modem software without a problem.  When I began the install of the comcast self install disk, I ran into trouble with the connectivity page.  I would not resolve to comcast.net.

I was on the phone for what seemed like forever with comcast and they said the brand new modem was probably faulty.   I gave them the MAC numbers, etc. and after not being able to connect me, they asked which lights were lit on the modem and when I told them the "online" light was not lit, they said the modem was no good. 

After talking with another tech, I was told the reason the kit wouldn't work is because I wasn't online.  My question now is do I have to have a dial up connection in order to download comcast???  That just doesn't make sense to me??    I was told to hook the modem back up again and if it didn't work to call for a comcast service person to come out to the house.

Since I have to drive over an hour again to my mom's to make this attempt at hooking up again, can someone please give me a little advice on what the problem may be before I go out there and waste my time again??? 

It's not a dedicated line, there is a splitter and the tv is working just fine. 

first do not worry
this is a common problem.
un install the software and do it manually

in start-control panel -network and internet-network connection.
right click your connection icon-choose properties

now click internet protocols and click properties.
now check obtain a ip address  automatic
now click obtain DNS automatic

click ok to make change and click close on you network connection
may need to power cycle modem(unplug)
Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]
You are overlooking where the O.P. wrote,"when I told them the 'online' light was not lit." Until the modem syncs up with the cable signal and goes online, fiddling with the computer and software installation is pretty much pointless. The problem is either a bad modem or a weak signal, the latter possibly due to a bad or improperly connected splitter or a bad coax cable.

You don't need to install any software to use Comcast via an ethernet cable to the modem. Only if you are using a USB connection (not recommended if ethernet is available) do you need to install the USB driver that comes with the modem. The other software on the Comcast self-install disk is entirely optional.

What are the modem lights doing, exactly? Which are steady on, which are flashing?

Message Edited by MelvinTheGrate on 07-10-2007 02:11 PM
Regular Problem Solver

One other thing: Is your splitter one that came with the self-install kit? A lot of older splitters don't handle the full 5 MHz to 1 GHz range that a cable modem requires. Old "TV only" splitters have a low frequency cutoff of 50 MHz, and that blocks out the modem's upstream channel.
The symptom would be a "Receive" light that is steady on and a "Send" light that remains flashing.

Contributor

Thank you for your responses.  My mom's house is an hour away so I will have to go over tonight and check on the splitter.  I can't really remember which lights were on but I do know the online light was definately off.  I was also hooking up with the USB cable not knowing that the ethernet cable was the better way to go.

I did have to use the install kit for the modem to install drivers for the USB cable .... should I remove these??

The splitter did come with the modem and comcast install kit and if I remember correctly when I got the same kit myself two years ago that we had to have comcast come out to the house because we kept losing our connection and it turned out to be that the splitter supplied with the kit couldn't handle the data stream but we did have a connection, we were just getting dropped all the time.

Can a get the correct splitter at a Radio Shack???  If I can, I'll just pick one up so I have it just in case when I go over there tonight. 

Also, If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't have to install any Comcast software once I have a connection, correct???  I can just make it her homepage?

Connection Expert
EG

Jo, Melvin is correct....

If there are no RF/connectivity issues, a modem will obtain Block Sync with absolutely nothing connected to it's LAN port.
Connection Expert
Joe

First i am just saying for no install disk setup 

we do need more info.
can you post from dial up from there and post complete setup and which light on modem is on and if any flashing

try going heresignals on that computer
Regular Problem Solver

ugottabekidding wrote:

I did have to use the install kit for the modem to install drivers for the USB cable .... should I remove these??

Can a get the correct splitter at a Radio Shack???  If I can, I'll just pick one up so I have it just in case when I go over there tonight. 

Also, If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't have to install any Comcast software once I have a connection, correct???  I can just make it her homepage?

You can uninstall the driver or leave it. It won't cause any harm, but it is one more bit of the cruft that builds up in a system over time. Personally, I'd uninstall it.

It's highly unlikely that any splitter you'd get at Radio Shack would be better than the one that came with the modem except on the off chance that the one that came with the modem was defective.  Does your TV work from both outputs from the splitter? That should be a sufficient check.

No, you don't need any of the Comcast software. Opinions of that stuff vary, but the experts seem to weigh in on the side of, "Get rid of it!" I can't relate from personal experience, though. I'm not running Windows on my primary machine, so nothing on that disk installs for me anyway.

Odds are you're going to find the modem with a flashing "Receive" light or a flashing "Send" light. Assuming that your splitter and cables are hooked up correctly, about the only thing you can try yourself is connecting the modem directly to the incoming cable (no splitter). If your problem is due to slightly out-of-spec signal levels, that might allow the modem to go online. Another alternative would be to try a different modem. If you stop by a Comcast office and explain the situation, they might be willing to let you borrow one to try. They'll do quite a bit to try to save the cost of rolling a truck.