New Visitor
NSylva
Accepted Solution

No Internet access: Modem has 1 blinking light

Hi, I recently went on a vacation for about 5 weeks and before I left my internet went down completely. I figured they were just doing maintenance and it would be back when I returned. I just got back yesterday and my internet is still not working. I made sure to pay my bill while I was gone so I should have service. Before it went down in early December(before I left) it was often slowed to a crawl.

I have an RCA DCM425 Modem that was installed when I had the internet installed(July 2011). There is a solitary light blinking on it which says "Internet" underneath it. All other lights are off. From the modem statistics page, these are the statistics.

Forward Path:

Signal Acquired at 723.000 MHz

SNR: 21.6 dB

Received Signal Strength: 34.3 dBmV

Bit Error Rate: 0%

Modulation: Unknown

Return Path:

Connection: Pending

Frequency: 0.0 MHz

Power Level: 8.3 dBmV

Channel ID: 0

Modulation: QPSK

I have already tried power cycling the modem several times. I even tried leaving it unplugged overnight before plugging it back in. I would love to get this working as soon as I can. Thankfully, my neighbor is graciously letting me use their internet until mine gets fixed. Thank you for your time.

Recognized Contributor
m1r6z

Re: No Internet access: Modem has 1 blinking light

Looks to be an issue with the signal being too weak for the modem to lock up. Best way to resolve this is a tech visit, if there's a splitter between the modem and wall then you can try bypassing it but it's prob an issue from the outside. (Line to your home, splitters outside, line to that room).

New Visitor
NSylva

Yeah. Just called and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do on my end. I'll update the thread with the solution after the tech comes.

Connection Expert
EG

Is the "Power" indicator light solidly lit ? Maybe there is a hardware malfuction with the modem ? Do you have their T.V.service as well ? If so, is it working o/k ?

New Visitor
NSylva

I does not have a power indicator light at all. It has lights labelled from left to right as "Message," "Cable Activity," "Cable Link," "PC Link," and "Internet." The "Internet" light is the one that is blinking. All the rest are off. I do not have the TV service. 

New Visitor
NSylva

So the tech came yesterday. It was indeed the modem which decided to quit on itself. It was receiving more than four times the amount of dBmV that it was supposed to. The modem essentially overworked itself to death. The tech replaced the modem as well as put a splitter on the line so that it was not receiving such a high amount of dBmV in the signal.