New Visitor
pergin

No Internet connection - US and DS lights blinking on modem

For the last couple of days I have had no Internet access. I've tried resetting everything by unplugging things and hitting the reset button, but  nothing works. I've noticed that the US and DS buttons on the modem are blinking, which they didn't do before.

Can anybody offer any advice on what this might mean. I am definitely NOT technology savvy so any help would be appreciated. My cable and phone are working.

Thank you

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Re: No Internet connection - US and DS lights blinking on modem

That is very bad, and means you can not connect, US is the first phase and means upstream,

and ds means downstream.

To connect the modem needs to find the downstream signals and get its clock synced to the right frequency and to locate all the channels.  Then it needs to find the upstream channel and adjust its power till the other side sees it,  it needs to lock the phase correctly of the signal so it can transmit in the correct time slots or so.

The US and DS lights mean the modem is trying to do that phase of calibration, so it means that the wire must not be very good, or disconnected, or bad or the modem has failed.

It is very bad.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Bottom line regardless of any technical mumbo jumbo accurate or not, this is primarily a customer to customer type of help venue here so you are not speaking directly to Comcast employees. So have you called this in ?

Do you also have their T.V. service ? If so, is that down as well ?

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

If your TV is broken, maybe there is an outage or the cable is broken or something.

If you call it in, they can check if there is an outage and if it is just you.

If an outage, then they might fix it outside since it bothers other people also.

If it is just you then they need to send someone to fix whatever it is.

E.G. knows this mumbo jumbo more than me, I had a bad modem that did US, and DS and then failed at connect, the technician replaced it.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

The OP wrote this

My cable and phone are working.

If the OP is renting a modem from Comcast it might be worth getting a different modem from them. If they own the modem it might be worth getting the lines checked first before buying a new modem.

Connection Expert
EG

commanguy wrote:

The OP wrote this

My cable and phone are working.

I don't see that ?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Could have sworn it was there last evening.

Maybe more coffee???

Apologies for any confusion.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

commanguy wrote: Could have sworn it was there last evening. ...

Still is, isn't it? In post #1? :

... Can anybody offer any advice on what this might mean. I am definitely NOT technology savvy so any help would be appreciated. My cable and phone are working. ...
Connection Expert
EG

Yep. My bad. :smileysad: My apologies to commonguy.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

EG

No problem

BruceW

Thanks, on my review I must have missed post #1. Maybe time for new glasses or a better brand of caffine.:smileygrin:

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Is the phone hooked to the modem with the US and DS lights blinking?

How could an internet phone work without basic connectivity?

Or is it an AT&T phone, or is it connected to a different device?

This is quite odd.

New Visitor
OriginalRedd

I have also been having the same issue. The tech was here two days ago knowing what modem I have but still brought the same one to replace it. He then got on the phone and told me I need to upgrade my modem. They were already aware that I need the upgrade but still sent the guy with the same modem, (TM602G/CT). The best part is this morning I received a phone call the day after the tech was here, which was a recording, from Comcast TELLING me that I need to upgrade my modem but I have to do it online. Why couldn't they just send one with the tech???

Sorry for my rant but this may be your issue as well as a lot of Comcast subscribers with certain modems that are experiencing this issue.