Regular Visitor

Not being provisioned correctly?

I'm currently at 6/1 or 6/2 (I havent verified what my upload actually is just my download speed). Now I've called Comcast to see if my area got the free upgrade to 12/2 and they say yes. They also tell me that my account is showing that I'm currently provisioned at those speeds but downloading anything always  max out a 6megs. It seems to me that the config on my modem isnt correct and isnt getting the correct speeds.

I've tried to convey this to Comcast on the phone but they keep having me run speed test via sites such as speakeasy.net. Which with powerboost the result are very skewed. I mean according to speakeasy my download is 25-30m down.

Is there anyway to get a hold of someone who knows whats going on?

p.s I've tried to check what config file is actually on my modem but it appears the ambit modem i have doesnt list the actual config file name just says that i have a doc 1.1 config via the Event Log tab 

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Not being provisioned correctly?

Have you tried powercycling the modem since ?
Networking Expert
Baric

It would be helpful to have the exact model of cable modem.  If it's old, it may not be capable of using the newer, faster speeds.
Regular Visitor

Its an Ambit UC10C018.18. I just signed up for this service on monday and got the modem direct from my local Comcast center.

I've also tried power cycling the modem numerous times since then.

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

shopan,

a couple items.

i tried to correct the speeds, if available, from here. i was not succusful.

i am not able to verify if the spees are available.

i do see some signal issues and will have someone call you to schedule a tech. the same individual can verify if the speeds are available in your area.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Regular Visitor

Thanks for responding.

I've talked to numerous techs since monday and they all swear my area (Springfield, Ma) is in an area that got the free upgrades and I "should" have it.

I even had a tech come to my house and use my computer (was suprised he didnt have a laptop so he could bypass my setup and hook himself directly to my modem). All he did was connect to speakeasy.net to verify my speeds. I sat there and told him for 20 minutes that because of powerboost speakeasy doesnt show the sustained download speeds. I tried to show him by downloading files from multiple websites to show him that my connection isnt getting the free upgrade speeds at 12/2. He left swearing that I'm at the correct speeds. 

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

shopan wrote:

Thanks for responding.

I've talked to numerous techs since monday and they all swear my area (Springfield, Ma) is in an area that got the free upgrades and I "should" have it.

I even had a tech come to my house and use my computer (was suprised he didnt have a laptop so he could bypass my setup and hook himself directly to my modem). All he did was connect to speakeasy.net to verify my speeds. I sat there and told him for 20 minutes that because of powerboost speakeasy doesnt show the sustained download speeds. I tried to show him by downloading files from multiple websites to show him that my connection isnt getting the free upgrade speeds at 12/2. He left swearing that I'm at the correct speeds. 

np shopan.

our office should call you by eob today.

side note,

we should be using our speed test @ speedtest.comcast.net during tech visits.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Regular Visitor

even speedtest.comcast.net has the same problem as speakeasy.net the powerboost seems to skew results of these short tests.

Using that site it says im at 25/2 but if i download a file from say http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorX/downloads.html#trial it will powerboost to 12m but drops fast to 6m speeds.

It leads me to believe im at pre DOC 3.0 area speeds (refering to this site http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?seoid=What-are-the-new-speeds-with-Docsis-3-0)

by using that site it seems im at

Performance: up to 6 Mbps download/1 Mbps upload
(up to 12 Mbps/1 Mbps with PowerBoost)

when i should be

Performance: 12 Mbps download/
2 Mbps upload
(up to 15 Mbps/3 Mbps with PowerBoost) 

Networking Expert
Baric

That is not a really good test.  Many commercial websites impose bandwidth limits on downloads so that they can "spread the wealth" to all users of their service.  Just because this or another site is slow doesn't mean your speed is low.  Now if Comcast is seeing problems, that's another thing.  But don't rely too much on the speeds of a download from some commercial site, they are NOT a good indication of download speed.  The sad fact is that our cable internet speeds are in many cases well beyond what a lot of sites are capable of providing.

And you are correct, Comcast's speedtest site is pretty bogus, PowerBoost blurs the lines and while it would be a relatively simple thing for Comcast to retrieve and display your provisioned speed along with the tested speed, they don't, which makes this site not as useful as it could be.