Most Valued Poster
Jason1

Re: Outage in South Florida

To all,

Comcast apologizes for the extended service outage that many in the South Florida area. We are working around the clock to get service restored ASAP. Please see this page on the Comcast.com website that provides further details on the restoration efforts in the South Florida efforts.

At this time, I do not have any additional details outside of what was posted to the site linked to above. But if we receive any additional information, we will post it for you.

Thanks
Contributor

Nothing new on there...
New Visitor

still very little details another round about answer
Contributor

http://www.adelphia.com/Wilma_Med_Advisory_110405.pdf

HERE'S what a real update looks like !\
If incompetence was energy ,Comcast would power the world!
New Visitor
New Visitor

I got it back !!! It's so sweet...
Davie, FL
Regular Contributor

Where in Davie? I am still out of luck...
New Visitor
New Visitor

Stirling and 70 th (Viele rd)
New Visitor

Me too!!!! Love the internet speed again. Hope all get there's back soon too! I'm in Coconut Creek.
Matt
New Visitor

im up next to sawgrass mall in Sunrise woot!!!!!
Contributor
MacSane

I'm in Deerfield beach, in northern Broward County, I spoke to a CSR yesterday and was told my area was scheduled to be operational by November 14th, if not sooner.

So much for clear lines of communication!
New Visitor

tack me on as another person rather annoyed at comcast's unprofessional handling of things. The last remnants of the winds died off sometime late monday afternoon (24th?) and my power was back on that wednesday (26th).

I called that thursday or friday and asked for some sort of eta and was told that there wasn't an eta, but that "crews were working closely with FPL and that it typically seemed to be about three days after the power comes back on from what people have told me" by the lady I spoke with. Several calls have been placed since then, and nobody at comcast seems to have any idea when it will be restored or even a vague eta like other utility companies were able to give right away almost. I've seen trucks from both adelphia and directtv, but nothing from comcast. Even more infuriating is that I know people still running on generators, who aren't supposed to have power until at least the 15th, that have had cable service restored recently.

Comcast's handling of this situation with no ETA whatsoever has made me seriously consider other options for internet access, mainly because I'm absolutely sick of being told by their phone support and live chat folks that I should try back tomorrow or in a couple days and that there might be an eta then. It reminds me of the old "someone will be coming out to inspect your cable between 7am and 8pm" and finding a note on my front door saying they showed up but there was no answer because they didn't knock or ring the doorbell.
Regular Contributor
Yo_Faith

Does anybody use their phone service? As with my cable and internet, my home phone has been down since Wilma came through 2 weeks ago. They have left me 2 voice mail messages at an alternate phone saying that my service has been restored. Clearly, it has not. It is sad that Comcast is doing such a poor job with the restoration but it is infuriating to receive 2 automation calls in less than a week saying that your phone has been restored. I think that in this case, I would prefer that I do not hear from them until they can show confidence that the services I pay for, and depend on, have been restored. I pay for a land line as my cell service in my home is weak. Besides I am severely over my call plan now. They need a better game plan as I am really over this mess.

*** Just called them again and now I've been told that my phone service will not be restored until DECEMBER 29th!!!!
Message was edited by: Faith Risa
New Visitor

While I don't have power or cable at home yet, I'm staying with famliy in the general area that does. The internet connection though has been experiences lots of problems such as loosing sync randomly every few hours and the speed of the connection maxes around 250KBps when I'm paying for the 8Mbps package. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who actually has cable and HSI and I hope in other week or two things will be back to normal with Comcast... I really miss my very stable 1MBps connection...
New Visitor

Well Adelphia is being purchased by comcast anyway, so in the near future all customers will be part of the same non information that current customers are getting now.
New Visitor

what, this isn't worth a sticky? i had to switch to comcast from bellsouth a few months before this storm, and now i'm wanting to switch back already. the lack of information or any sort of insight as to the damage assessment and/or projected ETA for any repairs on comcast's part is absolutely lame.

no thanks, i don't like a company that keeps its customers in the dark, literally and figuratlvely.
Regular Contributor

I drive around a lot to reach clients all over the tri-county area. I have maybe seen 3 Comcast trucks in various neighborhoods... definately doesnt feel like they are out and about. Luckily I have a backup plan for times like this.
Contributor

I have also been down since Hurricane Wilma.

Funny how Comcast says they are working around the clock with all available technicians and yet in two weeks I have seen only ONE Comcast work truck on the road and that was at the Chili's by the Sawgrass Mall !!

The only consolation is that Comcast will lose mega-money when they have to credit you for the down time. If I didn't want to lose my email address I would have cancelled Comcast a long time ago. If I had their phone service, I would have cancelled by now.
New Visitor

You Said it. I haven't seen the first Comcast Truck in my area!

To make matters worse the services are all run underground and Comcast is the only way I can get TV! The real kicker is that my neighbors in the buildings three down from me (BTW: I live in a condo) have FULL services running.

When I last spoke with Comcast they said, with an element of pride, that "all services will be up by November 22nd. Gee thanks only a month with out TV and Internet, and it only took 2 weeks and 7 calls to find that out. That's what you call putting the customer first.

I tried to switch to bellsouth DSL but they aren't setting up new account till Dec 3. Way to miss out on a golden opportunity Bellsouth. Of course that's a different forum. . .

I wish I could get Directv and I'm already looking into Verizon Wireless service.
New Visitor

"I tried to switch to bellsouth DSL but they aren't setting up new account till Dec 3. Way to miss out on a golden opportunity BellSouth. Of course that's a different forum. . ."

I contacted BellSouth to see how long it would take to Re-Activate my former FastAccess DSL and since I already have the modem. I was told it would take 24 hours.

Comcast customer service may be lacking, but the service is faster than DSL. As such I'll wait a bit longer... However, in the end reliability and customer service might win out over performance.

Message was edited by: Sar
Message was edited by: Sar
Contributor

I was surprised to find my service restored when I got home yesterday, 11-7-05, two weeks after the hurricane.
New Visitor

I live in Tamarac and i still don't have HSI service, but TV did come back yesterday. What do you think i should expect?
New Visitor

for those unable to check their email:

"Important Information from Comcast"

* As of November 7th, more than 82% of Comcast’s neighborhood distribution facilities throughout the South Florida Region (Treasure Coast, Broward, Miami-Dade and the FL Keys) were restored.

* Comcast’s Miami-Dade County system has come up with estimated restoration completion dates. Based on the amount of progress currently taking place, 95% of the cable neighborhood distribution facilities are expected to be operational by November 15th.

* Comcast has also established estimated restoration service dates for the more severely hit Broward system. It’s expected that 90% of the neighborhood distribution facilities in Broward County will be operational by November 15th.

* Once these distribution facilities are considered operational, it’s expected that customers are receiving cable and Internet services. It is possible that some damage has been done to the connection between these distribution facilities and your home. If others in your neighborhood have cable service and you don’t, you are encouraged to call 305-COMCAST or 954-COMCAST to report the problem.

* Comcast is not waiting for FPL to restore commercial power before testing the integrity of its neighborhood distribution facilities. Rather, Comcast technicians are now taking generators into areas without commercial power to test the neighborhood distribution facilities to ensure they are operational. This process allows us to make necessary repairs before power returns so when the electricity is switched on cable service will be available

* Drop hanging teams are now sweeping areas throughout Miami Dade and Broward Counties: reconnecting the lines that connect homes directly to nearby cable facilities. These lines might have been severed by downed trees or flying debris.

* Comcast is working quickly to restore cable facilities to the area. Unfortunately, we are finding that our lines are being cut and/or damaged when others are working to remove debris or restore their companies’ facilities. For example, we’ve experienced two major outages in the past two days due to other companies’ restoration work that inadvertently cut our fiber. We have communicated our concerns to all working in the rights-of-way so that folks can be watchful.

* We are very proud of our Comcast employees who endured the hardships of Hurricane Wilma but who along with hundreds of other Comcast employees throughout the nation, are working 24/7 in an attempt to get our customers services restored as soon as possible.

* Comcast has established a website to give daily updates on its cable restoration developments, it is: www.comcast.com/hurricanewilma
New Visitor

I'm in Coral Gables (Miami-Dade) and It's been 2 weeks now that I have power at home but no HSI or TV. Some of my neighbours has already the cable working so I called 954-COMCAST and guess what! All lines are busy. I've been trying several times and no way to talk with them.
Once again Comcast underestimate the number of customers they have. What a shame!
New Visitor

My HSI service just poped to life on me. Here's hoping its permanent. I also appreciate Comcast finally posting a date and more information to the board.
Contributor

Sar, what area do you live in? I live in parkland and there is no service here yet :smileysad:
New Visitor

Yesterday the TV and HSI got back, finally! But the signal is not stable yet. The TV image is not as good as before and HSI is slow and sometimes go off. Maybe will be better next couple of days.
BTW I'm in Coral Gables.
New Visitor

I still have HSI dead in North Miami, 33181 but TV is working. Anyone hear any new ETR's?
Regular Contributor
Yo_Faith

All 3 of my Comcast services are still dead in Plantation--near Nob Hill and Broward...
Bronze Star Contributor
convergys-test

Not to sound like a jerk about this but some of you guys are acting like the internet and TV is more valuable than air. I am sorry to hear about how Florida is after the hurricane - it is an awful thing - but the cleanup will take time resulting in longer than expected time to get back online. I wish we had technicians for each person in Florida but unfortunately Comcast does not have that type of resources available (no ISP does) especially for something like for this hurricane mess.

It would be great if Comcast could give a solid ETA on resolution to the internet problems but that just isn't possible. The support reps at Comcast most likely are not updated on this because there is no solid ETA to provide to them to pass along to us. If by chance a support rep told you that the connection will be on tomorrow and it doesn't go back online - you would be upset, right? I know I would! All we can do is wait for the cleanup and surely everyone will eventually get their connection restored. I just hope it will be soon.
Message was edited by: Dude!
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

* Drop hanging teams are now sweeping areas throughout Miami Dade and Broward Counties: reconnecting the lines that connect homes directly to nearby cable facilities. These lines might have been severed by downed trees or flying debris.

* Comcast is working quickly to restore cable facilities to the area. Unfortunately, we are finding that our lines are being cut and/or damaged when others are working to remove debris or restore their companies’ facilities. For example, we’ve experienced two major outages in the past two days due to other companies’ restoration work that inadvertently cut our fiber. We have communicated our concerns to all working in the rights-of-way so that folks can be watchful.

This does happen, Comcast or other utility repairs lines, and then someone accidentally cutting those lines. Then the cut lines have to be replaced again. So some of it may not be Comcasts fault your service is still out.

It is possible that some damage has been done to the connection between these distribution facilities and your home.

So they get any lines back up, and it still won't work, maybe because the above connection has to be repaired.

They are doing the best they can under the circumstances. Keep in mind it is hard to give an eta on when your service will be restored because it's more than a matter of just replacing lines. The techs don't know what is wrong and what has to be fixed until they go in and actually look at it. Not all the problems are immediately visible, below the surface it may be worse. Hey, it's just the internet. It will still be here when the service is restored. In the meantime, find other things to do to pass the time.

And before anyone says to me, "you must not have ever had an outage"-I have. Week long power outages, cable outage that lasted about a day and a half, and in fact, more than one cable outage (or dsl outage when I had that). The world won't come to an end because you have no internet.
Message was edited by: Queen_Evie

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor

I'm not really sure what the area is called... zip is 33142.

Connection was up down up down till about midnight last night, at which point it stablized again.
New Visitor

Yes regarding your post... you must realize that people do rely upon their internect connections for their livelyhoods as well. We have been consistantly lied to by Comcast. If you call for assistance, they hang up on you. If you read their storm assessments, you'll realise that they are directly misleading you. First we were told that as soon as we've electricity, we would have cable, then they tell you (a week later) there are reports of outages (dah...), then they tell you to call if your neigbor has it and you don't. Then their web page advises you to call for assistance in Broward if you live in Dade and visa versa. Our neighborhood has one port of entry for cable, all of our services are underground, they have returned service to some and call the outage taken care of while the majority of which do not have service and they will not tell you when they can send out anyone, even now that it is not a "Wilma" issue. There seem to be two reasons for service like this. 1- they send a bunch of novices out check one side of a connection, verfiy that it works and declare success because 2- they're too damn stupid to check t o see if the entire job is done. Personally, I am, and so are many in our area, going to go to both of our homeowners associations and check to see if we can get Direct TV put in to service the entire association (about 1000 homes) and go back to the old telephone company for DSL. Although the DSL is slower, we never seem to lose telphone service, at least not during the 36 years I've been here.
Visitor

Well I'm in 33073 Coconut Creek and we're still out. I know the 15th is coming up soon but this NO CABLE/HSI is getting to me. Whoever has service CABLE or HSI post your zip and date of service so the rest of us can gage the progress of comcast.
Contributor

Zip 33028. Cable and HSI Service restored on Tues, Nov 8. All working except for On Demand.

Mind you, electrical power was restored Tues, Oct 25. day after storm. All underground wiring here as well.
Message was edited by: Anon1007034
Contributor
MacSane

I'm in Deerfield Beach, 33442. Service was restored around the 31st. My neighbors had service, but my drops for TV and HSI were downed by tree branches. (Power was restored on the 28th, but a ground wire was damaged so power could NOT be used until FPL finally got around to repair that 11 days later on the 8th.

On the 27th, I originally reported the drops down and wanted on the repair list early. I found on the 8th that those calls had been arbitrarily cancelled and deleted from the system. It subsequently took several days of calls and a rant with a supervisor before the Supervisor finally arranged an "Expedited Service Call" to repair the drops. He attributed the "Special Service" to my length of service as a loyal customer since 1988. What a crock! They had not started scheduling drop teams or other service calls to my area due to the "Field Supervisors" not clearing the areas outage to receive trouble calls yet.

They had no argument to not send a tech when my neighbors had service and I likely did too, but the drop was down so how would I know. That was about 8pm on Tuesday the 8th. On Wednesday the 9th, approximately 10:30am a Comcast Tech phoned, by 10:45am a Comcast Truck rolled up. By 11:20am BOTH my TV and HSI drops had been replaced, signal checked and service restored!!

Was that so bloody hard???

The Customer Service, Public Relations and Service to the Community presented by all utilities; FP&L, BellSouth and Comcast after Wilma is a prime example of what NOT to do in assisting customers and community after a storm of any magnitude!! How dare your best guess for service restoration be 3 weeks to a month out!! You dare to complain about the cost of plant restoration is too great when you pocket the profits you report!! For the 3rd quarter of 2005 alone, the reported Net Income for FPL was $338 million, Comcast reported a net income of $222 Million and BellSouth reported a Net Income of $845 Million. How much of these monies were returned to harden or upgrade the infrastructure to better serve the customers in the event of a catastrophic event? Obviously, no where near an amount that would scratch the surface of being responsible to more than the bottom lines profit margins! Of course, none will take any of those profits to upgrade the systems. They will bleed us dry with price increases to widen the profit margins further. Eventually, they will price us all out of the marketplace.

FPL, Comcast and BellSouth ALL deserve the "Eat Crow" Award for poor service and lack of true community support!
Message was edited by: MacSane
Most Valued Poster
Jason1

To all,

While we understand that the outages in South Florida as a result of hurricane Wilma have caused many of you frustration, I assure you that Comcast is currently doing the best that they can with the resources they currently have to get service restored ASAP. As a result of the storms, there has been some major damage to the backbone and fiber lines in the South Florida area and this damage is not easy and quick to repair. We do have crews from around the country coming in to help restore service to all.

The only updates we have on the status of the repair work is being posted to the following websites. Please check them regularly for any updates to the repair work.

Comcast Cable Service Update for the Florida Gulf Coast

Comcast Cable Service Update for the Atlantic Coast
Regular Contributor
Yo_Faith

Jason, What do you know about the phone service?
Most Valued Poster
Jason1

Faith Risa,

I assume that you are asking for a status update on when the phone service will be restored. Unfortunately, I do not have any specifics or estimated times for this service to be fully restored. The links provided above mention the current status for all of Comcast's services (TV, Internet, and Phone). Some customers may have some but not all of their Comcast services currently working while other customers may not have any of their services currently on.

So basically I do not have any specific information that I can offer to you at this time. But should we receive any updates, we will make sure to post them for you all.
Regular Contributor
Yo_Faith

Jason,
Thanks for your response but the status update really does not seem to pertain to the phone services. I am being told "maybe I should have phone service by the end of the year". The links really seem to have nothing to do with phone service but thanks anyway.
Faith
New Visitor

Jason, what about service in sarasota, i've had no internet service now for 4 weeks, but my cable is working, it doesn't show on your updates that Sarasota county has any issues, but customer service tells me they do.
Contributor
Contributor

I have restrained myself for the 4 weeks now since Wilma hit. Obviously you cannot blame Comcast of FPL etc for what happened to their infrastructure or damages to hardware. I don't blame Comcast, let's make that clear.

However, I do blame Comcast for the horrible customer service going on. For 2 weeks I sat here, with practically no connection whatsoever, during the day I lose block sync (like now, I'm on stupid free Netzero dial up at the moment) and at night, IF I get block sync back (doesn't always come back) the connection is absolutely horrid. Webpages literally never load, checking email times out everytime etc etc. Essentially the connection is worthless.

As I said, I can accept the current situation if Comcast would give out timely information etc. However, for the past week (since Comcast themselves said everything would be restored by the 12th, then the 14th etc, now the 22nd) I have been trying to get a local rep on the phone. Needless to say this has proved to be impossible. The local number is busy seemingly 24/7 now. I called the national number, finally got a rep and while he was "checking my information" I got magically disconnected. Naturally when I called back, the national number was busy. This has continued now for over a week. There is no one else in my condo here who has HSI that I know of anyway. My friend upstairs has digital cable, and his reception is nearly unwatchable from what I saw. I know this isn't my modem or my lines, it has to be a drop line or something hardware wise down the line here. He had a tech scheduled to come out Thursday between 8 am and 8 pm (he went to the local office to make the appointment) and they never showed, never called to say they couldn't make it, etc.

Now I know this post is getting long, but I wanted to get out some frustrations I guess. I'm sitting here on 56k (which is horrible by itself, ugh) watching my modem reset every few minutes and not getting block sync. I am going to add some traceroutes I took during the past few weeks, along with a nice -t ping of my gateway modem. I guess I'll continue trying to contact Comcast, maybe I'll ask them about switching out my modem. At this point I don't know what else to do.

Tracing route to www.yahoo.akadns.net
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * 26 ms * 10.246.176.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * 6 ms * 68.86.164.93
4 * 28 ms 12 ms 68.86.164.89
5 * * 39 ms 12.124.85.17
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 52 ms * * 12.122.12.121
8 99 ms 40 ms * 12.122.10.69
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 74 ms * * t-2-1.bas2.re2.yahoo.com
13 85 ms * 39 ms p22.www.re2.yahoo.com

Trace complete.

Tracing route to www.yahoo.akadns.net
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * 37 ms * 10.246.176.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 60 ms * * 68.86.164.93
4 72 ms * * 68.86.164.89
5 110 ms 19 ms 23 ms 12.124.85.17
6 67 ms * * gbr2-p10.ormfl.ip.att.net
7 51 ms * 83 ms 12.122.12.121
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * 185 ms * 12.122.81.249
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * 224 ms * t-3-1.bas1.re2.yahoo.com
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * 175 ms 37 ms p6.www.re2.yahoo.com

Trace complete.

And here is my gateway -t ping, it's a good one:

Pinging 65.34.38.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=1233ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=255
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=255
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=191ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 65.34.38.1: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=255
Request timed out.

So that's that I guess. I'm leaving for NY for 2 weeks (god I can't wait to get out of Florida) so even if Comcast wants to schedule a tech to come out, I won't be here.
Regular Contributor
Yo_Faith

Services were restored on 11/17/2005
Contributor
Contributor

Well I finally spoke to someone yesterday. They can't have anyone out to me until the 30th or later now. I'm leaving for NY on the 30th, so unless Comcast fixes this situation themselves, I'll be without a connection for another month literally until the 12th of December.

I spoke to someone else today about switching out my modem, and he said to just call the billing dept. tomorrow and they'd give me the instructions to do so. I'm hoping a new modem can handle the weak signals I have better than this RCA350 I have currently (from what I read this modem doesn't handle weaker signals all that well).

He also mentioned how they are still working in my area and hope to have things fixed by the 22nd, which they've said to me a few times now. So maybe, just maybe by Tuesday things might clear up a tad. I've always had a fairly low signal strength on my end and it's never really been a problem, so I'm hoping they can up it on their end, or who knows maybe it is the drop line to my condo or something that "simple".