Visitor

Outage status available online?

We're undergoing a broadband outage here (Los Altos, CA), and I'd like to know if Comcast has a service-status page I can check online. Since I have to do without broadband, I'm on dialup -- and as long as I'm on dialup, I won't be able to receive Comcast's automated callback to let me know broadband is working again. (Talk about a Catch-22!)

Is there a Comcast status page?
Connection Expert
Joe

Re: Outage status available online?

http://www.comcast.net/help/
sign in on home page then go here
New Visitor

Yeah well, unfortunately that site is not updated. Only shows:

National

Healthy
At this time, your Comcast High-Speed Internet service is operating normally. Check back frequently. Network Health updates for your area will be posted here.

Since my connection is also down I'm using my neighbors DSL. I'm in Palo Alto, CA, BTW. I Called Tech Support earlier and they said that a major outage of 11,000 people has occured and won't be resolved until 7pm

gerg
New Visitor

I'm in Milpitas California and also am having a high speed outage. The telephone number acknowedges an outage in the area but as usual no word on how long it will be out.
This happens way too often in the last couple of years and I am about to go to DSL. It's costing me two ISP's (a dial up service and a broad band service) to maintain one reliable connection. I am not a happer camper, especially since Comcast can never give any kind of update or status report. It either works or doesn't and lately it doesn't more often than I can tolerate.
Regular Contributor

I too am in Milpitas and have the same problems... I got rid of Comcast for TV because they were so bad and I am going to do the same with internet if they don't get their act together soon...
New Visitor

Just to let you all know that you are not alone. I am in Mountain View and my high speed internet is out (since this morning). These things happen, so I am not to upset about that (depending on how long the fix takes). However, the network status page is useless, since it is not reporting this obvious outage.
New Visitor

Ditto the experience, been down since this morning. I'm using my cell phone as a modem to conect, but that's only 230Kbps.

I chatted online with one of their service reps and they said "no estimate for return of service".

I've been happy with the service for the last 2 months, rock solid. But I do recall the period this summer when it slowed to a a crawl every night for the entire bay area.

This is still better than dsl IMO.
New Visitor

I'm in Santa Clara. Like "suerpergerg" I'm using my neighbor's DSL after Comcast internet got down. Highly agree with Anon, that this happened more often months ago and the service got stable recently until today, that they just don't keep status report updated in time, and that my limit of toleration draws to a close.

At very least customers deserve an broadcast apology and a status report on where we are towards the restoration of the service.
New Visitor

I'm in Santa Clara. Like "suerpergerg" I'm using my neighbor's DSL after Comcast internet got down. Highly agree with Anon, that this happened more often months ago and the service got stable recently until today, that they just don't keep status report updated in time, and that my limit of toleration draws to a close.

At very least customers deserve an broadcast apology and a status report on where we are towards the restoration of the service.
New Visitor

Ditto in Mountain View, CA. Service has been fine for past year, but I'm no happy camper today. Telephone rep was pleasant but could offer no estimate for restoration of service. How major can this outage be?

!(Happy New Year)
Visitor

Thanks for the replies, folks. Yes, the "Network Health" on the help page is as useless as airbrakes on a tortoise.

FYI, just did a live-chat with support, and they won't even venture an estimated uptime:

- - -

Rocel(Sat Dec 31 23:25:20 PST 2005)>Thank you for contacting Comcast. My name is Rocel. How can I help you today?

Tom(Sat Dec 31 20:25:43 PST 2005)>Hi, Rocel. What's the ETA on the broadband outage in Los Altos, CA?

Rocel(Sat Dec 31 23:27:06 PST 2005)>I am sorry Tom, there is no current estimated time on when the issue will be resolved at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Tom(Sat Dec 31 20:27:31 PST 2005)>No estimates even within 24 hours?

Rocel(Sat Dec 31 23:28:10 PST 2005)>I am sorry, no. There is no estimation posted for this issue.

- - -

Does anyone have any idea what the actual problem is?

Also: I've been keeping an eye on a thread at dslreports y'all may be interested in watching:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15140930
New Visitor

I checked with SBC DSL and my home can only get a rate of 1.5M from it. I would not switch to them, given the low speed. Any other choice?
Connection Expert
Joe

they must have cut another line.
mark where your put those things
Regular Contributor

Your only choice is to contact your congressperson and insist they require comcast to open the infrastructure to competitors. They only reason Comast gets away with such a poor system and no customer support is the absence of real competition. In the east, Verizon is stringing fiber but that is in the early rollout stages and nothing, AFAIK, is in the offing out here in the west.
New Visitor

Try getting anything fixed on New Year's Eve, let alone a network outage. If Comcast is run anything like the rest of the businesses in this country, we'll just have to wait for the techs' hangovers to subside enough tomorrow morning for them to hear their pagers beeping. Or the electricians, or whoever's equipment broke.

If you think the same doesn't happen to DSL customers from time to time, you're sadly mistaken. I know, I had one for years, it had outages too of various lengths. Folks griped about the guarantee then too. Same for dialup servers. Just a bad time for something to go wrong or a tree to fall on a router or whatever happened. I saw 4 accidents on the highway today in this weather.

But then again, cable modem unlike DSL has a shared bandwidth, so if any of you are angry enough to think you can do better somewhere else, then hey, more bandwidth for me! :smileywink:
New Visitor

Both Cable TV and Internet have been out here in the Portland, OR area since late evening on 12/31/05. No ETA here either.
New Visitor

Both Cable TV and Internet have been out here in the Portland, OR area since late evening on 12/31/05. No ETA here either.
New Visitor
pvkerhalkar

Why cant comcast atleast have an automated call to customers in that area that there is an outage? I was working from home and suddenly got disconnected. It took me 20 mins to figure out that the problem is with comcast, when I called them. Before that I tried with my router configurations, switching off the modem, router and turning them on again, because this has happened to me previously, that restarting the modem, my internet works properly. 

Comcast internet service is poor. 

Connection Expert
EG

Eight year old thread now closed.