New Visitor
bjhensley

PORT blocking? Icecast server

I'm trying to test out an Icecast Server that i'm setting up for a friend. Locally on my server I can connect through VLC player but externally I can't connect to my audio stream out side of my internal network. This is a business opportunity for a friend and I want to make sure I can get the software working. 

I've port forwarded a few ports to try and get it working, inlcuding 8000, 8001, 8080, 8888 but when I connect to a friends internet and try connecting to it I time out. I know I have the windows server setup right, as I can connect to it within my router via another computer. Also its not hard to portforward linksys routers so I know its not an issue there.

I'm under the assumption after reading some web posts that comcast might be blocking outbound ports that I would like to use. Can someone verify this for me? Is comcast residential HSI blocking these ports? What ports can I try to do testing with my Icecast server?  

Thank you,

Brian

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: PORT blocking? Icecast server

[ Edited ]

bjhensley wrote:

I'm trying to test out an Icecast Server that i'm setting up for a friend. Locally on my server I can connect through VLC player but externally I can't connect to my audio stream out side of my internal network. This is a business opportunity for a friend and I want to make sure I can get the software working. 

I've port forwarded a few ports to try and get it working, inlcuding 8000, 8001, 8080, 8888 but when I connect to a friends internet and try connecting to it I time out. I know I have the windows server setup right, as I can connect to it within my router via another computer. Also its not hard to portforward linksys routers so I know its not an issue there.

I'm under the assumption after reading some web posts that comcast might be blocking outbound ports that I would like to use. Can someone verify this for me? Is comcast residential HSI blocking these ports? What ports can I try to do testing with my Icecast server?  

Thank you,

Brian

From my residential account I confirmed that those ports aren't blocked for incoming and outgoing TCP or UDP.

I don't know much about Windows Firewall, but I think it's on by default (blocks all incoming connections), but maybe it doesn't consider connections from LAN addresses to be "incoming".

Edit:

Oh, here's what Comcast have to say about blocking port. LINK