Contributor
rannmann
Accepted Solution

Packet loss at backbone

I have a dedicated server located in Chicago, and it seems a lot of people on the east coast are experiencing tremendous lag and packet loss to our server.  I ran a pingplot last night and determind it was located at 173.167.57.126 (as4436.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net).  I woke up to a couple hundred users upset that they are still having issues on our server, so I ran another test and the exact same result is showing up, a full 18 hours later.

Here is a screenshot of the packet loss over the last 30 minutes from my home outside of Boston, to the server in Chicago.  These results are consistent to those I took last night, over the course of an hour.

http://i.imgur.com/kBEQQxH.png

Contributor
rannmann

Re: Packet loss at backbone

[ Edited ]

-

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

You should be posting on the Comcast business class forum here.  The business forum has Comcast employees answering questions, where this forum is a user to user forum for residential service without much help from Comcast employees and nothing about business class service.

Bronze Problem Solver

rannmann wrote:

I have a dedicated server located in Chicago, and it seems a lot of people on the east coast are experiencing tremendous lag and packet loss to our server.  I ran a pingplot last night and determind it was located at 173.167.57.126 (as4436.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net).  I woke up to a couple hundred users upset that they are still having issues on our server, so I ran another test and the exact same result is showing up, a full 18 hours later.

Here is a screenshot of the packet loss over the last 30 minutes from my home outside of Boston, to the server in Chicago.  These results are consistent to those I took last night, over the course of an hour.

http://i.imgur.com/kBEQQxH.png

That doesn't show what you think it shows. It looks like Pingplotter did a bunch of traceroutes to the destination address, and if that's the case, your data show that there were *no* "lost packets" when the packet had a high enough TTL to reach the destination site. To understand what such tools are showing you, you should do some research on exactly how traceroute works. In this case the router at 173.167.57.126 didn't "lose" any packets, it just didn't respond with the TTL_Exceeded message that traceroute relies on for some of the packets. Sending those TTL_Exceeded responses is a low priority for a router, and whether or not a router sends those responses has nothing to do with whether or not it's doing its basic job of sending packets along.

Same is true if Pingplotter was sending a bunch of pings to the hops it discovered via doing a traceroute. Responding to pings has a low priority.

A very high response time could indicate a problem, but the lack of a response doesn't really mean anything... especially when, as is the case here, the subsequent hops indicate no problem.