New Visitor
aatb

Performance Starter Speeds

Since moving to a new neighborhood, I just signed up to Xfinity Internet and was recommended for the performance starter package. I was told and the website stated that the bandwidth for that package was up to 20Mb down. However, I can't seem to find any documentation on my account of what the bandwidth is of this package. Also, now that I've used the service over the weekend, all the speed tests I've performed max out at 8Mb down. So I have two questions. 

1. Is the performance starter package actually a 20Mb plan or was that a bandwidth plan for a different geographical location other than northern Utah?

2. If #1 is accurate, should I contact tech support as my connection speed is 40% slower than the advertised bandwidth. My previous ISP was also a 20Mb plan, but the 'up to' was closer to 75 - 100% of the bandwidth plan. 

I want to know whether or not this is normal. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Performance Starter Speeds

New Visitor
aatb

Here's the results from ShaperProbe:

DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.98.51.25.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 1073 Kbps.
Downstream: 7624 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 1052-1058 KB; Shaping rate: 896 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 742-782 KB; Shaping rate: 6384 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

New Visitor
aatb

I just wanted to add some resolution to this post. After doing a little more digging, I found out what the issue was. In our area there is a Performance Starter package of 6Mb down and 1Mb up. This is not what I signed up for, but it was on the technician's order. So after a call with customer service, I am now on the correct plan and enjoying much much higher speeds. 

Thanks

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

New Visitor
EWOlson

You meant Mbps, not Mb.

The Performance Starter plan is listed at 6 Mbps on the web site.  I believe you and the person from Comcast were confusing it with the Performance plan.  The only difference being the lack of the word "Starter" on the end.

Connection Expert
EG

Two year old thread now closed.