New Visitor
aisaac

Problems with Cisco dpc3008 dropping connections

My connection drops every 15 or 20 minutes. That is VERY BAD for me cause I am a web developer working from home... Every time that I am uploading hundred of little files to an FTP and the connection drops I go crazy!

I can see how the modem goes from Operational to Scanning and the connectivity goes poof...

This is my modem status...

Model:	Cisco DPC3008
Vendor:	Cisco
Hardware Revision:	1.0
MAC Address:	18:59:33:50:33:c0
Bootloader Revision:	2.3.1_R3
Current Software Revision:	d3000-v302r125532-120131a-L2VPN-CMCST
Firmware Name:	d3000-v302r125532-120131a-L2VPN-CMCST.bin
Firmware Build Time:	 Jan 31 15:34:06 2012
Cable Modem Status:	Operational
Wireless Network:	

Cable Modem State	 
DOCSIS Downstream Scanning:	Completed
DOCSIS Ranging:	Completed
DOCSIS DHCP:	Completed
DOCSIS TFTP:	Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete:	Completed
DOCSIS Privacy:	Enabled

Downstream Channels	 
 	Power Level:	Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1:	 -5.9 dBmV	40.0 dB
Channel 2:	 -5.0 dBmV	41.1 dB
Channel 3:	 -4.3 dBmV	41.0 dB
Channel 4:	 -4.4 dBmV	40.4 dB
Channel 5:	 -4.0 dBmV	41.0 dB
Channel 6:	 -4.2 dBmV	40.8 dB
Channel 7:	 -5.0 dBmV	40.3 dB
Channel 8:	 -5.4 dBmV	40.2 dB

Upstream Channels	 
 	Power Level:
Channel 1:	41.5 dBmV
Channel 2:	 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3:	 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4:	 0.0 dBmV

Regular Contributor
SGTAngry

Re: Problems with Cisco dpc3008 dropping connections

This started happening for me with this modem last night. Was online from about 10pm ~ 2am and dropped between 5-7 times. I've only had the modem 1 week as part of some troubleshooting for another issue and this is the first time I've had any connections dropping. 

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

Also having this issue, with same modem. 

For kicks what wireless router are you guys using?

New Visitor
aisaac

Now I am using an apple airport xtreme, before that I was using a d-link dir-655 (or something like that) same problem... :smileysad:
Regular Contributor
evil_hero

yeah i was just wondering if we were all using the same  (or close to) wireless, but I swapped out my new e3200 with my old school wrt54g.....worked for a few minutes....and then drop.  I don't know (in my case anyway) if it is the modem. I was getting these same drops with my Moto sbg6580. So I bought this new DPC3008 hoping for a fix, but nope. I have dropped like CRAZY tonight. I don't get it, I just hope its fixed SOON!

New Visitor
justinrmarks

I'm having the same issue. It's only happening when I'm on Skype or Google Plus hangouts. I've already placed two support calls, and they are sending a tech out in a few days to check it.

New Visitor
EXfinity

I'll go ahead and add myself to the list. I work online also, so I feel your pain.

New Visitor
justinrmarks

Just to make sure it wasn't my comp, I tried another comp directly connected to the modem with a different ethernet cable, and the same thing happened.

It's definitely the same issue. The modem doesn't power cycle or anything, it just drops connection. What's weird to is that Comcast claims my modem hasn't lost connectivity once in the past three days.

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

My techs came out today, replaced a few thing, everything was looking good and then disconnect.

Same thing I can make it drop with a Skype call or gaming. 

I'm getting convinced that comcast is doing SOMETHING.  From everything I have read on here there is nothing really in common with all of us. Did any of you have a different modem before the DPC3008? I had the moto sbg6580, and was getting the drops. So I bought the DPC3008 in hopes to fix the issue. A friend at work recommended the DPC3008. He lives about 10 miles from me and has a rock solid connection......what's going on??

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

Hey all, I found this site, http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/  that is supposed to test your connection and tell you what is wrong. What came back (for me) was this:

"We estimate your downlink as having 2000 msec of buffering. This is quite high, and you may experience substantial disruption to your network performance when performing interactive tasks such as web-surfing while simultaneously conducting large downloads. With such a buffer, real-time applications such as games or audio chat can work quite poorly when conducting large downloads at the same time."

Seems to be pretty much what we are all experiencing. I'm wondering if you all get the same results that I get. Then I would like to compare that to a comcast customer that isn't getting these drops, and see if it's the same...... 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

We have been seeing many reports of issues with the DPC3008 recently. My suspicion is that a recent firmware upgrade is causing issues. At this time there is no offical confirmation that there is a problem with the DCP3008. I have contacted Comcast and will post any updates in this thread.

Contributor

I've had a DPC3008 for several weeks, and the disconnect problems didn't start until last Wednesday night (the same day I got the Xfinity email telling my speeds have improved!). They have, but but I have to put up with intermittent disconnects...I've called CS and they put a "watch" on my line...the next day they called me and left a message that they didn't see any disconnects. This is simply untrue as soon after the monitoring began I witnessed several disconnects.

Here is my line data for those that might want to see:

Model:Cisco DPC3008
Vendor:Cisco
Hardware Revision:1.0

MAC Address:18:59:33:50:5c:a8
Bootloader Revision:2.3.1_R3
Current Software Revision:d3000-v302r125532-120131a-L2VPN-CMCST
Firmware Name:d3000-v302r125532-120131a-L2VPN-CMCST.bin
Firmware Build Time:Jan 31 15:34:06 2012
Cable Modem Status:Operational
Wireless Network: 

Cable Modem State 

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning:Completed
DOCSIS Ranging:Completed
DOCSIS DHCP:Completed
DOCSIS TFTP:Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete:Completed
DOCSIS Privacy:Enabled

Downstream Channels 

Power Level:Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1:3.7 dBmV40.8 dB
Channel 2:4.5 dBmV40.9 dB
Channel 3:4.8 dBmV40.8 dB
Channel 4:5.1 dBmV41.0 dB
Channel 5:5.2 dBmV40.9 dB
Channel 6:5.0 dBmV40.8 dB
Channel 7:4.1 dBmV40.5 dB
Channel 8:3.4 dBmV40.3 dB

Upstream Channels 

Power Level:
Channel 1:45.5 dBmV
Channel 2:0.0 dBmV
Channel 3:0.0 dBmV
Channel 4:0.0 dBmV

New Visitor
forced2usecomca

We have been having the same issue with our DCP3008 as well. After quite a few calls to Comcast and 3 visits to a Comcast store, they still haven't been able to detect anything wrong with our modem. On that 3rd visit, I was instructed to switch out the DPC3008 with any other DOCSIS3 compatible modem, but was told that they (that location) don't have any other model or brand available. After discovering this thread, I called and even referred the tech to this thread, and the response I got was "Well we have plenty of customers with the same modem, and they aren't having any problems." So tomorrow a tech is supposed to come out and check out what's going on, but I'm going to request a different modem. If anyone knows of any "fix" or "patch" to correct this issue, please let me know.

New Visitor
tjmiller

Same here, problem just started a couple of days ago. Comcast keeps claiming the problem is not

theirs. Two weeks ago I gave back the comcast supplied modem and purchased my own

DPC3008. Up until 2 days ago, things were great. 

Does anyone know if the DPC upgrades its firmware automatically?

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

tjmiller wrote:

Does anyone know if the DPC upgrades its firmware automatically?

Yes, Comcast pushes the firmware automatically to your modem.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

evil_hero wrote:

I saw the build date for the firmware for the DPC3008 -- which was fairly recent. This makes me suspect it was just pushed by Comcast. This is just conjecture on my part tho, I don't really have an answer. Maybe it's just coincidence that you all have similar problems. BTW: The SBG6580 had a firmware problem. It got flaky after a firmware upgrade.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

For reasons totally unrelated to the current problems, I have a different Docsis 3 modem that CC is shipping to me that I will hopefully have in a few days. I'll post after...

(Ed. to clarify this replacement will NOT be another DPC 3008 unit.)

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

Right, but a few people said it has been working fine until the last few weeks. It could be a firmware issue, but I suspect at this point it is something on comcast's end.

Either way it is very frustrating, and hopefully gets fixed soon. 

Is there any modem out there that WILL work with comcast with out drops? Because my luck with the last two modems is constant drops....luck is against me right now, better stay away from vegas for now LOL

New Visitor
forced2usecomca

On Thursday (4/12/2012), I connected the Cisco DPC3008 about 9pm since we "upgraded" to a faster high-speed plan. Since then, and about every 20 minutes or so after, the modem drops connection when someone is either gaming, watching a movie/video, or using Skype.

Now I don't know about all of you other people, but we HAVE to use Comcast. Our apartment complex only lets Comcast's service here. We didn't know this until AFTER we signed the lease and moved in. We were very happy with AT&T for years before we moved here. I can guarantee you that if we had another option, we would go with it.

I bet if Comcast were to put their billing department people on this issue, they would get it taken care of QUICK. Comcast is FAST when it comes to us owing them money, but slow to fix issues like this.

New Visitor
Preston559

Recently purchased comcast internet and was provided with cisco DCP3008 modem and since the very first day it was hooked up(4 days ago) it has been dropping connection and restarting itself while online gaming. Comcast tech came out today and replaced few things outside aprtmnt on their lines,changed splitters and coaxel and still the same thing. Comcast is a joke. 4 days with this internet and modem has restared 10-15 times.

Contributor

Mine has reset at least 10-15 times in the last 12 hours! Doesn't take a genius to figure out this is not a basic hardware issue, but a service one. Hard to believe they aren't working on it...
New Visitor
Preston559

This many people with the same problem with same modem tells me it probably is on comcast's end. Also, like me a few others have had tech come out and change few things and no difference. Really comcast, 4 days with this internet and I cant even use what im paying for?

New Visitor
benkohn83

Modem Resets Itself. Comcast Needs To Fix THis Problem

So it seems like Comcast is having some serious problems right now and I am very angry.

I use skype fairly often, as I talk to my siginificant other in another state nightly.  Starting on Tuesday night while using Skype the modem has been reseting itself at uneven intervals (ie, 7 min then 18, 22, 6, 25, etc.).   I placed a call on Wed night to comcast support and the phone tech said that it had reset itself 37 times by that point nut could not find anything wrong.  I set up a service call for Sat. morning and the in-house tech found nothing wrong.  Today (Wed) I spent 40 min on the phone with another online tech and trouble-shooted while she watched Skype cause the modem to reset itself at least 2 times.  This problem occurs plugged in directly to the modem or through the router, before and after resetting the router manually, before and after updating my software on my computer, before and after re-downloading the firmware for the modem (by the tech today).  I even spent time with skype today on an online chat, however, this seems like the problem is COMCAST'S FAULT!  It is crazy that paying costumers are being overlooked when this IS NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT!

http://208.74.204.149/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/Problems-with-Cisco-dpc3008-dropping-connection... 

I am not attaching specs or more details, as I have already done that with the techs over the phone.  Twice.  And this problem continues.  I am now extremely upset and would change internet providers if my appartment complex would allow it, but alas I cannot and am stuck with terrible service.  

New Visitor
benkohn83

I am also having this problem since Tuesday night.  I have had an in house tech come out and 2 phone calls (one lasted 40 min) and this is still going on.  No one seems to know why this is happening, but it is.  Comcast, seriously, something is wrong and needs to be fixed.  

New Visitor
didyouseethe

Same issue here...I was told it's best to upgrade my modem now that I just added cable. DPC3008 modem and the issues of restarts has been plaguing my life/work.

New Visitor
dlorenz1

Re: Modem Resets Itself. Comcast Needs To Fix THis Problem

This is the exact same problem I've been having as well.  I have the exact same modem, and this only started happening this past saturday, 4/14/12.

New Visitor
Drattah

Re: Modem Resets Itself. Comcast Needs To Fix THis Problem

Same issue here, this needs to be addressed.

New Visitor
Drattah

Same issue here, makes the internet useless in my household.  This needs to be taken care of immediately

New Visitor
forced2usecomca

So I have the in-home tech coming out today, and I have requested him/her to bring me back our old Arris (I think that's how it's spelled) back and give us the old internet speed that we had a week ago. Just so I know, has changing models/brands, or using older modems fixed anyone's problems?

New Visitor
BarcoLoco

Same modem, same issues. I also work from home using Skype heavily and get constant drops. I went from Verizon FiOS (forced to change because of a move) and if I could switch back I would in a heartbeat. If this is how they handle their connection issues I may have to look into AT&T.

Are there any suggestions for getting Comcast's attention on this? Every time I call the support gives me the run around that it is 100% my fault when it is obviously not.

Contributor
terrim1216

Wow, I wish I had seen these posts before I called Comcast! I am having the exact same issue with the same modem. I was having speed issues about 3 weeks ago. I have the Blast service because I work from home. They told me they recently did an updgrade and that I needed this modem instead of my old one. I went to the comcast office and exchanged my old modem for this one and my speed issues were immediately fixed. Then at the end of last week, I started having this problem with the modem rebooting. I am not sure that it's the modem either because I had no issues for about 2 weeks. I too work from home and do a lot of uploading and downloading of files when I am busy. I also need to use Skype for my meetings. My son is having a stroke because he keeps disconnecting in the middle of an Xbox game! I purposely got a dual band Netgear router because of the Xbox. Wonder if I should call them back?

New Visitor
CharlesMG

I had the same issue with the dpc3008.  A tech came out and look at the cables under the house.  He said one was 'squished'(compressed) and he fixed it and swapped the modem for good measure to an ARRIS WBM760.  I went from a dc every 5-10 while gaming to none at all.  Granted, this was a couple of days ago, but no complaints thus far.

Connection Expert
EG

CharlesMG wrote:

I had the same issue with the dpc3008. 

So we guess that it wasn't "an issue" with the DPC3008 then ??

Contributor

EG wrote:

CharlesMG wrote:

I had the same issue with the dpc3008. 

So we guess that it wasn't "an issue" with the DPC3008 then ??

Funny! So it was the "squished cable?"

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

nerdberg,

it's looking like you are right. It's a firmware issue. 

My friend that has the DPC3008 that recommended I get it, his connection has been rock solid. He took a screen shot of his modem status page early last week, originaly I told him to get it for me so I could compare signal levels.

I looked at the screen shot again today, and he has a firmware built in Aug 11 2011 (have a screen shot if needed).

I was telling him about the issues I and many of you all are having, and had him check his firmware again he now has the same Jan 2012 build. So I told him to try to make a Skype call.....within seconds we got a drop.

I am pretty confident that nerdberg was right, that a recent firmware push has caused all our issues because my friend took the original screen shot (the aug 2011 build) early last week, and now today we have sucessfully got it to drop 5 times with the Jan 2012 build.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE COMCAST PUSH THE AUG 2011 BUILD! 

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

[ Edited ]

Does anyone know if the Moto SB6121 is having any issues right now?

I would like to stay with the DPC3008 since this is the modem Comcast are renting out now, I thought the support would be better for it, but if the SB6121 is actually going to work, I'll go that route for now. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

UPDATE: 4/16

I heard from Comcast. They are currently looking into the problem. I'll post updates in this thread when available.

New Visitor
ryousuf1

My DPC3008 is brand new with the same Jan 31 2012 build.  It is dropping connections as well.  It must be a firmware build issue, comcast please fix it.  

Regular Contributor
evil_hero

I had contacted Comcast Steve yesterday and heard back from him this morning saying. 

"I have not heard of that issue exclusively but have seen some minor connectivity issues. Care to share some account info with me so I can see what is going on with your modem?"

I sent him my account details, and some more information, like a link to this thread. That was at 8:40amMST. 

New Visitor
didyouseethe

[ Edited ]

Called Comcast and had them re-activate my old modem and problem is gone. Definitely a problem with the DPC3008 modem.

I had just gotten the DPC3008 when I added cable tv a few weeks ago. They insisted I get a newer modem (various reasons/blah blah/etc) but I still hadn't returned my old one. Good luck to anyone who has to switch out the DPC3008 for an older modem at a Comcast store. I'm sure you will have a tough time explaining it to the customer service people without them trying to send a tech out. lol.

Contributor
dansob

After switching to faster internet, 50down 10up, since i need faster internet for streaming, I'm also having problems with disconnects, it looks like the more data flows throught i get dc'd every 15-20 if just browsing and doing random stuff, every few hours, but this is very annoying, not computer problem. (i blame modem 100%) before while using comcast with phone and TV,. no problem with an type of disconnects! entire cable got replaced last year to brand new cable that runs underground from the box to my house wall and from wall to the modem. (since it got cut for some reason, underground) - i replaced 1 modem allready because there was a jack problem, i thought that was it. but after replacing it, same problem. DPC3008 is new modem and its a  lot smaller - maybe it gets over heated or something. I'm not sure. I'm thinking to buy brand new modem from bestbuy- and test it out.  -Not sure which brand to buy. 

New Visitor
forced2usecomca

[ Edited ]

Ok, the in-house tech come by this morning about 8:30am. I just told him that I didn't want him to check anything, just give me a different DOCSIS3 modem, or my old Arris model back. He replaced my Cisco DPC3008 with an Arris WBM760. Since then, not one disconnect, reset, or powercycle. Just to make sure, I streamed Netflix on one PC, Skpye'd my Brother from my cell using Wi-Fi while playing Xbox Live with him all at the same time... No problems at all.

New Visitor
robertjw

Just wanted to chime in.  Having same issue.  My old dpc2100 from 2004 was running like a champ and Comcast talked me into upgrading to the Blast service.  I installed the dpc3008 and I'm having problems with connections dropping.  Dropped a Skype call on me this morning.

New Visitor
jasnell

Based on the behavior I'd have to say that it's likely a software issue with the recent firmware update. Especially given the pattern... under light usage, the connection resets maybe once every hour or so; under heavy usage, it resets as often as every five minutes for me. For me, seeing this kind of behavior, the first place I would look is at whatever buffering is going on within the modem itself. It's possible that the buffer is just getting overrun and causing the thing to die and reset. If folks weren't having these problems with this particular modem before, then it would make sense that it was introduced with a firmware update. If some folks aren't seeing the problem, it's possible that they're not using their internet too heavily and that resets are happening when they're not noticing. Just a theory.

New Visitor
xiaofeichang

Re: internet keeps disconnecting

I am also having the same problem. Attached the output from my modem. Is this what you are looking for?

Model: Cisco DPC3008

Vendor: Cisco

Hardware Revision: 1.0

Serial Number: 242459326

MAC Address: 18:59:33:50:11:a4

Bootloader Revision: 2.3.1_R3

Current Software Revision: d3000-v302r125532-120131a-L2VPN-CMCST

Firmware Name: d3000-v302r125532-120131a-L2VPN-CMCST.bin

Firmware Build Time: Jan 31 15:34:06 2012

Cable Modem Status: Operational

Wireless Network: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cable Modem State   

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning:  Completed 

DOCSIS Ranging:  Completed 

DOCSIS DHCP:  Completed 

DOCSIS TFTP:  Completed 

DOCSIS Data Reg Complete:  Completed 

DOCSIS Privacy:  Enabled 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downstream Channels   

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:

Channel 1: 16.7 dBmV 39.5 dB

Channel 2: 17.4 dBmV 39.6 dB

Channel 3: 18.0 dBmV 39.9 dB

Channel 4: 18.2 dBmV 39.8 dB

Channel 5: 18.2 dBmV 39.5 dB

Channel 6: 17.9 dBmV 39.6 dB

Channel 7: 17.4 dBmV 39.4 dB

Channel 8: 16.9 dBmV 39.4 dB

Upstream Channels   

Power Level:

Channel 1: 41.8 dBmV

Channel 2: 40.5 dBmV

Channel 3: 40.8 dBmV

Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

New Visitor
weekendwarrior1

Add me to the list.  I ordered the DPC3008 from Amazon to replace a leased Scientific Atlanta DPC 2100R2 to save the monthlyl $ and perhaps improve speed.  New one seemed to work OK for a week or two but then I started losing connection up to several times a day, often when watching Netflix but not only then.  I finally have disconnected the DPC3008 and called Comcast to reprovision the DPC 2100R2 which I had not yet returned.  Not a single issue in 4-5 days since I went back to prior setup.

New Visitor
benkohn83

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

I went to the Comcast store today and brought with me this printed out forum post and explained what was going on.  They had no idea that this problem was ocurring, but they did give me a ubee ddm3513 modem.  All problems have gone away (finally after 6 days of constant dropping)!  

Comcast:  the Cisco dpc3008 modem is seriously faulty.  Please have your techs aware of this problem (I've been on the phone with 2, and had a service house call with a 3rd and no one knew).  These modems need to be swapped out, or the firmware needs to be fixed. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: internet keeps disconnecting

xiaofeichang wrote:

Downstream Channels   

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:

Channel 1: 16.7 dBmV 39.5 dB

Channel 2: 17.4 dBmV 39.6 dB

Channel 3: 18.0 dBmV 39.9 dB

Channel 4: 18.2 dBmV 39.8 dB

Channel 5: 18.2 dBmV 39.5 dB

Channel 6: 17.9 dBmV 39.6 dB

Channel 7: 17.4 dBmV 39.4 dB

Channel 8: 16.9 dBmV 39.4 dB

Your downstream signals are waaaay too high. Do you an amplifier in the house?

New Visitor
mtbbum

[ Edited ]

Yep... I'm that friend of evil_hero.  Continue to have issues with resets on the Jan 2012 build - the Aug 2011 was solid.

Comcast:  Roll it back until you can find out what is going on with the Jan 2012 build!!!