New Visitor

Problems with Google

For the last two days, I cannot get to most parts of Google - news.google.com, google.com, etc. Are other people also experiencing this?
New Visitor

Re: Problems with Google

E. Brunswick, NJ

No problems getting to http://news.google.com/ or http://www.google.com
New Visitor

See this thread as it appears it may be linked to yahoo but Ross from Comcast is looking for more details about the Google issue now as well:

http://forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?threadID=20736&tstart=0
Bronze Star Contributor

hey whats up, I can only access google news and groups using IE. When using mozilla firefox, im unable to view anything from google.
Contributor

Yes - I'm having the same problems. The weird thing is, it seems to be somewhat browser-specific (unlike the problem with Yahoo, which occurs on ALL my browsers on both my Macs and my PC...and I've tried about 6 browsers in all!) and is decidedly intermittent.

With google, at some points today, I had to forget doing a search in Safari or in FireFox. Endless spinning beach ball. In Internet Exploder (which I rarely use anymore) I COULD do a google search successfully. If I empty the Safari cache and then quit Safari and then restart it, I CAN do a search. Simply emptying the cache doesn't seem to work. With Firefox, simply emptying the cache allowed me to do a search.

Opera worked fine. In fact right this minute, they're all working fine.

I've never had to repeatedly empty the browser caches in order to use Google before the last two days. This is a decidedly new phenomenon and not a welcome one. And I STILL can't get to my Yahoo mail, no matter what I do - on either platform.
New Visitor

I'd like to chime in an say that I can't acess google either. I can get to the main page for google but cant' run searches in netscape. IE runs searches every once in a while.

I can't lost the ability to connect to some other website, including my customers site. I had to bring my laptop to a friends house and jump on his connection (not comcast) just to get some work done...
Contributor

I've had problems with Google today both on my Mac and my PC. The worst is Gmail - I can't get into it at all.

There's a thread here on Neowin and everyone with connection issues to Google have Comcast.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=180398

Mike
Contributor

Yeah the gmail problem is so annoying. I've talked to a lot of people on another forum who are having the same issue, they all have comcast.

Even more disappointing was when I bypassed the router, got into my account and found I still have no invites :smileysad:

I'm in Union County, NJ BTW
New Visitor

I can get to www.google.com (not always, though), but doing an image search doesn't work at all; doing a regular search sometimes works, sometimes times out.

Yahoo!, notably MyAuctions and a few other areas just do not function.

There are several other dead response site; I believe it is a COMCAST issue. It is more pronounced in APPLE's SAFARI browser.

A GOOGLE WORKAROUND: go to www.hotbot.com and do a GOOGLE search from within it.
Bronze Star Contributor

I mentioned this in the Yahoo thread, but I'll repeat it here.

The Google problem is inconsistent. Sometimes Google works perfectly, other times I have problems. The changes seem to occur randomly and instantly. Here's what I've noticed:

1. I can go to the http://www.google.com page, but occasionally when I enter a search it times out. I've had this happen with both Firefox 0.9 and IE 6.0 SP1, but it seems to happen more often with IE than with Firefox.

2. If I successfully do a search either from the Google homepage or using a quick search in IE or firefox (basically an alias which goes to http://www.google.com/search?&q=%s where %s is the search term), the vast majority of the time and web search from that page results in a timeout. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

I haven't noticed an problems searching images or groups. I've also found that google toolbar searches and "quick searches" work 100% of the time.

I wouldn't even think this was related to the Yahoo problem if it wasn't for the fact that going through a proxy server fixes the problems with Google as well.
New Visitor

I cannot search through Google either for the last day or so!!!!!!! FIX IT !
New Visitor

Using Safari and or netscape on a Mac .......Google is a no go! For the last two days, Laura, boston
New Visitor

I haven't been able to search with Google for the past two days, either. Other Google sites seem to work okay, including Gmail, and it DOES seem to be browser-specific -- IE being the worser, Firefox occasionally working.
Contributor

If you have a router have it clone another mac on your network and do a release/renew on the router to pull a new ip addy. This solved my problem with gmail and everything else. It appears it was a problem with specific ips.
New Visitor

Well, we are into day 3 of problems connecting to Google. Hopefully, Comcast will figure out what is going on and be able to correct the issue.
New Visitor

To add to the confusion, one pc (win nt and ie 5) accesses google and click on search responds quickly, while another pc (win xp and ie6?) accesses google and clicking on search seems to hang for some time and then brings back the search results. My son says it behaves this way on other search engines as well, and has been doing this for a couple of days... could this have anything to do with a recent windows Active X security patch?
New Visitor

At long last some hard evidence of a problem. I started seeing this on Friday. As a workaround, I'm going through a proxy server and everything google works just fine. No disabling the router, no disabling the firewall, no disabling the popup stopper, no clearing the cache or trying a different browser or running AdAware fifty thousand times... just go through a proxy and all is well with the world of google. It's a Comcast routing problem. Period. Change the route to the domain, the sites within the domain all work fine. It's affecting gmail and orkut unconditionally and certain other google functions intermittently.