Contributor
GNLxxx

Provisioning an Arris TM722G Modem for Comcast

Has anyone been successful at buying an Arris TM722G modem from OTHER than a Comcast kiosk at a Best Buy and getting it provisioned by calling Comcast Support?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: Provisioning an Arris TM722G Modem for Comcast

Some have done this, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. If Comcast doesn't permit this in your market, you shouldn't do it unless you can buy the modem from a seller willing to give you a full refund, and unless you're prepared to accept the possibility that Comcast might refuse to provision it.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

New Visitor
Timmons227

Right now I actually have the original RCA telephony modem they installed years ago and a SB6121 I self installed in a separate office. But when trying to get the ARRIS TM722 setup no luck. I tried two separate techs and they are asking for HFC MAC ID and I really want to provide it but all the sticker on the modem has are EMAC, CMAC MTA-MAC and USB - MAC. Unlike the SB6121 that does show a HFC MAC. I have searched a little and nothing on this issue. I did ask two questions, one was could I have two separate telephony modems on one cable line. The answer was yes. I also made sure they understood I purchased the modem and it was not one of theirs. Or least I hope not since I bought it off Amazon used.

I thought the HFC mac and CMAC were the same and I have read several posts where they are used interchangeably. but not 100%

I asked if there was a blacklist for modems as there is for cell phones and they told me yes but that was not the problem it was that the CMAC I am providing is not correct. but if that is incorrect how can you look it up on the list.....They have not flatly told me they would not do it but it is used modem. I am sending this one back. Back online with the SB6121 and I do not answer the phone anyway! 25 Mbps down is not bad.

I will update if I find a solution

Contributor
GNLxxx

thank you for sharing your experience i will keep that in mind.  i think my strategy now is to go to the comcast kiosk in a best buy in Elgin, IL. i am up there occasionally anyway and that is the closest one at about 175 miles away. It appears comcast has abandoned all IL but chicago. no surprise.  maybe i can learn something from their rep there. then i can decide whether to fork over $150 there or try to get one for $90-$130 online.  i have figured out it has to be a TM722. i think that is the only option at this point. just a matter of where i get it. i am concerned about losing my Fax capability. i might have to check into that some more first as well.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

[ Edited ]

Timmons227 wrote:

Right now I actually have the original RCA telephony modem they installed years ago and a SB6121 I self installed in a separate office. But when trying to get the ARRIS TM722 setup no luck. I tried two separate techs and they are asking for HFC MAC ID and I really want to provide it but all the sticker on the modem has are EMAC, CMAC MTA-MAC and USB - MAC. Unlike the SB6121 that does show a HFC MAC. I have searched a little and nothing on this issue. I did ask two questions, one was could I have two separate telephony modems on one cable line. The answer was yes. I also made sure they understood I purchased the modem and it was not one of theirs. Or least I hope not since I bought it off Amazon used.

I thought the HFC mac and CMAC were the same and I have read several posts where they are used interchangeably. but not 100%

I asked if there was a blacklist for modems as there is for cell phones and they told me yes but that was not the problem it was that the CMAC I am providing is not correct. but if that is incorrect how can you look it up on the list.....They have not flatly told me they would not do it but it is used modem. I am sending this one back. Back online with the SB6121 and I do not answer the phone anyway! 25 Mbps down is not bad.

I will update if I find a solution

The CMAC is what is needed to provision for internet, and the MTA mac is what is needed to provision for phone service...

If you look closely, the MACs only differ by the last 2 or 1 digits...

Both MAC addresses will need to be added to your account first, then technical support can provision your internet no problem...  The phone is hit or miss, sometimes it will automatically provision that as well, but more often it won't and would require a higher level tech to manually provision the phone service...

Also, Comcast *technically* will not allow you to use a purchased TM722G unless it was purchased through BestBuy and it's supposed to be professionally installed...

I can't remember the phone number, but if you have all of the necessary MAC addresses, SIK (Self-Installation Support) can perform all of those operations...

Contributor
GNLxxx

more good information to know. thanks so much

New Visitor
Timmons227

Just confirming the posts and the two MAC ids needed. I am online now with the TM722. It took three phone calls before I get the right tech on that understood it required both MACs. Internet came up right away great speed. 35 down 6 up. They say up to 48 hours for the existing phone number to switch. So still waiting on the phone. I gained 10 Mbps by using the two way splitter as recommended. With one going straight to the modem and the other too the 4/way cable splitter.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

[ Edited ]

If no luck with the phone, call back and ask to be xferred to SIK (Self-Installation Kit) support...  the phone typically doesn't fix itself, someone needs to switch the MAC IDs in two separate systems, the back end, and the soft-switch...  Everything else stays like it was...

Contributor
drl2112

I live in San Francisco.

I bought a used TM722G from Adams Cable Equipment via Amazon.  It was ~$50 less than Best Buy with free shipping.

I swapped out my rental TM502G with the new unit, and did a hard reset on the TM722G.

I left my home for about 5 hours.  When I returned, I tried the internet but it was not working.  Any website would go to an activate.comcast.com page prompting for an NT login and password.

I called Comcast on my cell phone.  I was on hold for a bit then got a tech.  I explained the situation.  The tech asked for the different MAC IDs, and the modem serial number.  He also asked where I purchased the modem.  Eventually the tech was able to provision internet access for me.  He requested that I power cycle my router and reboot my computer. 

After the reboot, success!  Speed seemed a little slow initially (speakeasy said 3 up, 3 down).  But it works, so I'm happy.  The tech said the phone would take some time, and to check for a dial tone in the morning.  The modem's CM State page currently says "In Progress" for "Telephony-TFTP".

I will keep you posted on the phone activation.  It would be nice to go return the rental tomorrow.  I think I got lucky with a non-Best Buy purchased modem based on everything I've read online.

Contributor
GNLxxx

I am glad someone was able to get a TM722G working without buying it at Best Buy.

i am planning on talking to the comcast guy at a Best Buy kiosk near chicago next time i go up there to find out what i can. then i will take the plunge and do what you did.

when i had another modem, a TM502G that i had bought to replace my leased one,  and was trying to get it provisioned through the techs on the phone, they did not seem concerned where i got the modem, only that it needed to be a TM722G for them to be able to provision it.  so that leads me to believe i can be successful as you were.

I am concerned about your poor download speeds though. let me know if that improves.  I currently get 20Mbs download and about 4Mbs upload. that is plenty for me.  I am also concerned about being able to fax which is no problem with the TM502G but i have seen that some people have had problems with the TM722G.

(My son lives in san francisco. Love to visit there)

Contributor
drl2112

Update

I tried online chat to get the voice provisioned this morning, without success.  I was chatting with them for about an hour and they had me reset the modem at least 3 times.  At the end, the response was:

"The modem is not responding to the server. We need to send a tech to check the modem connections that you have and to set the proper expectation, please be advice that there is a possible charge for the tech visit since the modem you are using is an owned modem."

The charge would be $30-50, which erases the savings of not buying from Best Buy.  I told the person on chat not to send a tech, and that I would wait since I heard it can take up to 48 hours for the voice to provision.  So much for returning the rental today.

Internet seems fine, speakeasy now says: 25.8 down, 3.8 up.

Any suggestions on who I should contact for help are appreciated.  The event log on the tm722g says "MTA PROV: Failed" every time it has been rebooted.

Contributor
GNLxxx

let us know what happens after 48 hours.

I suspect whatever problems you are having would most likely have happened with the modem from Best Buy as well.

Contributor
drl2112

Update:

Yes, I am impatient.  I did not want to wait 48 hours, and I wanted to return my rental today.  I called Comcast voice support.  I got someone who said he needed to call voice activation and he would call me back in 20 minutes.  He did not ask for the MTA mac number which was surprising to me.

He called back in about 20 minutes, asked me to reset the TM722G.  I did, and the lights for the phone came on this time when they had not before.  He asked me to check the dial tone and boom! there it was. 

I did send Adams Cable Equipment (the seller) a message based on the test documentation they sent with the modem.  They request that you check the MAC IDs on the modem vs. the test results that they send.  There was a mismatch in my case on the USB MAC in my case.  They responded promptly, said the USB MAC mismatch was not an issue, and offered a full refund if Comcast refused to provision the device.  Having the MAC IDs documented on a piece of paper was helpful for me because my modem is in a media cabinet in a dark coat closet, and the computer where I was checking the modem status was in another room.

Success!  Used TM722G purchased via Amazon for $50 less than at Best Buy, and no sales tax.  Your mileage may vary but that is my experience doing this and a self install outside of Comcast. I'll post another update based on my experience returning the rental at the local service center.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

This is the gamble you folks are playing when you try to buy this EMTA in a different fashion then Comcast reccomended...  Have a phone support technician open a ticket for No dialtone provisioning issue so it will go to the proper department...  The EMTA is not provisioned in the soft-switch, someone with deeper systems will have to look into it...

New Visitor
apbridge

hi. what do you mean by using the splitter as recommended?

Contributor
drl2112

Turned in my rented TM502g to the service center in San Francisco.  The wait was not too long on a Saturday afternoon.  The only thing that was annoying was the upsell of more channels, but it actually seemed like a decent deal.  I got a receipt for the return.  Fingers crossed that the next bill is correct.  All services are working fine.  The internet speed test is a bit slower this morning but overall performance seems fine.

New Visitor

NO not alt all and i've been looking everywhere.........

Connection Expert
EG

10 month old thread now closed.