Contributor
bwdn

Purchase ARRIS 802 instead of 722 modem?

I am a new Comcast customer with plans to purchase my own telephony modem. Right now I am renting an ARRIS TM722G/TM device from Comcast.

Online research results that a "722" model is VERY difficult to purchase. However, a TM802G is available. This "802" model specs "bond 8 channels" instead of 4, like the "722." And the "802" offers more backup battery capacity choices. These appear to be the only two differences between the "722" and "802" models.

Unfortunately the "802" is NOT include in Comcast list of approved devices. (It appears to me that the "802" model is ARRIS next generation after the 7 series models.)

I would prefer to purchase a "722" model, but so far only Best Buy is the source. Little to expensive, there.

Can anyone explain the difference between (722) "bonding 4 channels" and (802) "bonding 8 channels" specification?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Purchase ARRIS 802 instead of 722 modem?

The 802 is too new and you would never get it provisioned.  You would be wasting your money.

Right now there is only one place to purchase a eMTA that can be put on Comcast's system, which you already know as available at select Best Buy's with Comcast Connection Centers inside for a TM722G at around $150 plus installation.  There are no other sources.

No Comcast system is using more than 4 bonded channels, which will do speeds well over 100mbs.

Contributor
bwdn

Thanks for the info. I was concerned that I would be one step ahead and that Comcast would not let me use the "802" model.

My installer told me that we can buy our own modem and just call CS with mac address and other info off device. So far I can only find 402, 504, 602 and 604 model Arris modems. Their are on the "approved list". They may have to do.

Our installer indicated that I should be able to buy the modem at Bast Buy without installation and install it myself. Have to see about that is true or not.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Note: At this time Comcast policy precludes self install of the Arris TM722g eMTA telephony modem. I assume this also applies to other telephony modems that Comcast uses. Basically, you can't install one yourself.

Here is a link to check for the closeset eligible Best Buy for the Arris 722g

http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
New Visitor
NM28

I just purchased the Arris Tm722g Cable modem on Amazon for $129. I don't know the answer to your question but maybe you can return yours.

Good Luck.

bwdn wrote:

I am a new Comcast customer with plans to purchase my own telephony modem. Right now I am renting an ARRIS TM722G/TM device from Comcast.

Online research results that a "722" model is VERY difficult to purchase. However, a TM802G is available. This "802" model specs "bond 8 channels" instead of 4, like the "722." And the "802" offers more backup battery capacity choices. These appear to be the only two differences between the "722" and "802" models.

Unfortunately the "802" is NOT include in Comcast list of approved devices. (It appears to me that the "802" model is ARRIS next generation after the 7 series models.)

I would prefer to purchase a "722" model, but so far only Best Buy is the source. Little to expensive, there.

Can anyone explain the difference between (722) "bonding 4 channels" and (802) "bonding 8 channels" specification?

Connection Expert
EG

Year old thread closed.