Visitor
interruption

Purchase data/voice modem

I want to buy my own voice/data modem, what kind would I need?  I'm currently renting it and want to cut costs.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: Purchase data/voice modem

[ Edited ]

Hi,

As far as I'm aware, the only eMTA modem (phone/internet) that you can buy is the Arris TM722G. This is only available from BestBuy with a Comcast Connection Center or rep in the store. This usually involves a paid tech install, which is arranged by the rep before you leave the store. The modem is about $150.

Not all market areas allow customer owned eMTA's.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Shop/Retail/RetailStorelocator.html

Not seen that link before, so now it's BestBuy, Sears and Walmart, with Comcast kiosk's. Cheers Nerd!

Edit.....> Second thoughts, a search throws up just about every major electronics company in my local area. Maybe you can get Comcast service there, but perhaps not the eMTA?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Nah, I think you are right - it's just the Best Buy stores as far as I know that sell the voice modems. But you can find the a Best Buy store with a Comcast kiosk with the locator. Sorry I wasn't clear. :smileyhappy:

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

The Comcast connection centers selling the eMTA's is HERE, Kiosk's are not part of the deal.

Look for the official Comcast sales person in the red or black shirt hanging in the TV dept.

Connection Expert
EG

I wonder when was the last time that that page was updated Jay ?

New Visitor
emisecho

I was told by a Comcast Technical Support representative that i didn't just have to use the TM722G from Arris and that I could use any of the Docsis 3.0 Modems that also lists as having "telephony" support.  Interestingly, on this list they are ALL from Arris, except one - the Ubee DVM3200b.  This one also seems to be available for approximately $80-90 online.  Can someone tell me if that is incorrect?  Because I don't want to go buy the modem and then find out it doesn't work.

Also, I noticed that none of the Telephony modems from Comcast on their approved list - http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ - support IPv6.  Is that a problem?  Also, wouldn't Comcast be updating its list of devices (and the ones installed in your home) within the next year (I live in the Bay Area and I believe they are current going through an area wide upgrade)?

Bottomline, I am trying to save money and the monthly $7/fee.  It seems like the Ubee is a potential alternative that is approved by Comcast that has a more reasonable cost than any of the Arris modems.  However, I don't want to purchase it and then either (a) find out it doesn't work; or (b) that having IPv6 compatibility is more important than I thought.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Up until now only the TM 722G mentioned above has been available for sale for with Comcast. Yes, you can use the other devices on the list, but you can't buy 'em.

Of course they could have changed this policy. It's worth remembering that not all their markets are the same. Some allow customer owned eMTA's others don't. Some allow self install of eMTA's, others insist on a paid tech install.

I'd like to see them operate the same policy for eMTA's as they do with normal modems.

In the absence of an official response on here, I guess the only way to find out for sure would be to go to your local office and find out what they allow....:smileywink:

Contributor
DTrebacz

Here is my story on buying a Comcast modem (through my local Best Buy). It's a program that Comcast offers in certain regions. Here's my blog post that shows what you get in the Comcast/Arris TM 722G package:

http://blog.trebacz.com/2012/01/comcast-xfinity-internet-and-arris.html

It was $150 at Best Buy and relatively painless to set up. I just don't like paying lease fees to Comcast for equipment. It's a pretty good DOCSIS 3.0 modem.