New Visitor
nilzlofgren
Accepted Solution

Questions about Arris TM822 modem.

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum, and have some questions regarding Comcast modems. I currently live with my in laws, who received a letter from Comcast, stating that their internet was upgraded, and to contact Comcast for an upgraded modem. Their current cable modem is a Motorola SBG 900.  I thought this was the modem that was going to be upgraded. Comcast gave them a modem that the phones plug into. The older modem was an Arris 602, and the new modem is an Arris TM822G. My question is, This modem doesn't do anything for the internet, correct? Doesn't the SBG900 cable modem have to be replaced as well? And if so, does Comcast supply those as well? Sorry for the long intro, but I just wanted to make my situation as clear as possible. Thanks for your time. John.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: Questions about Arris TM822 modem.

[ Edited ]

It appears they have the SBG900 for internet (with wireless) and now the Arris TM822G for just the telephone service.

The SBG is Docsis 2 and should be replaced for a Docsis 3 modem.

They could reorganize the set up by removing the SBG900 and let the Arris TM822G handle the internet and telephone, they would then need to buy a wireless router....Well that's what I'd do, they would have to call into Comcast to get it set up like that, it may involve a tech visit, hope that helps....!:smileywink:

Edit...Of course the other option would have been to replace the SBG with the Arris TM822G and leave the Arris 602 for the telephone, but they would still require a wireless router.

Official Employee
ComcastMattV

Did that last post help you out? Have you decided on what setup you are going to go with? Please repost if you still need help or have any more question. If the last post did help you out. It is greatly appreciated if you mark as solution.

Thank you

Comcastmattv
New Visitor
nilzlofgren

It Helped. Ireplaced the older phone modem with the new TM822. Now they just have to decide if they want to buy a wireless router, or get another cable modem with the wireless router built in. If Comcast supplies that modem as well, they will probably go that route. Also, I plugged my laptop into the back of the 822 with the supplied eithernet cable, and what a difference. I hope they get rid of that SBG900 soon.:smileyhappy:

Visitor
toyotatacomaman

the arris tm 822 will work the internet and the phone you have to call comcast after setting it up to activate the new modem . they need the new mac address then they will transfer you to activate the phone part of the modem. I know this because i just got my 822 activated a week ago.

New Visitor
jdhelle1

Where did you find a TM822G to purchase?

Visitor
KSLoh

Hi,

I called Comcast service to try to get my Arris TM822 telephony modem activated and was told that they cannot activate the Arris TM822 telephony modem because it is not a model that Comcast supports. Can you help me out here?

Some history... Prior to buying the Arris TM822 telephony modem, I explicitly call Comcast service on my intent, and Comcast has record of my call. I was told then that it is a model that Comcast supports, and was complimented that it is a "good" modem. All I have to do after getting my modem is to call Comcast to activate the modem, of course with the necessary information ready, such as the MAC address.

When I called this morning, the Comcast service person told that that they cannot activate the Arris TM822 telephony modem for me because it is not a model that Comcast supports. Eventhough there is prior record of me calling to confirm that the model is supported, too bad now. I will just have to return the modem, or out the amount I paid. Please help.

Visitor
cgsmithlaw

When I was researching modems I remeber seeing a list somewhere I believe it said the Aris TM722G is supported and the 822 is not.  I have been using the 722 for a few months (it is an excellent modem) paired with an old WRT54G Linyksis Router w/Tomato Firmware.  Everything runs great now, just be careful with Comcast all in one modems as they really suck at WiFi and have neutered firmware.

Connection Expert
EG

It's supported;

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?tier=-1&devid=344&e=0&d3=1&s=&so=&sc=570

The question always is *does your local Comcast franchise allow user owned eMTA's (telephony type) modems to be used on the local system*..

It's always best to double check !

Visitor
KSLoh

I explicitly called Comcast service before proceeding with my purchased. It is the same toll free number that I used for confirmation of the modem model is supported and a few days later called in for activation, only to be told this time that the modem model is not supported.

The service person that I spoke with did not say customer owned cable modem with EMTA capability is not allowed, just the TM822 model is not supported. He told me that TM722 is supported, but it must be bought from BestBuy in Comcast labelled box and must be activated by a Comcast technician visits afterward. Not until your respond with the caution of local Comcast franchise rules, I would not have known. I, the customer pays for their inconsistent message of model is support in one instant and not supported in another instant. It is like 'head' they win, and 'tail' they win also.

I would like to thank you very much for your information. I will be hard for me to return the modem, first it was purchased online, and second I had broken the wrapper seal. I will try to call for activation of my telephone modem again. Hopefully better luck this time. It is sad. It should not have to come down to luck. 

Visitor
toyotatacomaman

Where Did you Buy the Modem? comcast will not activate modems unless purchase at best buys and sold by a comcast represenative at best buys. Sure you can find the same modem at ebay or amazon the the ones best buys sells has the proper firmware that comcast uses. Comcast does support the tm822, because prior to me purchasing my modem tm722 i was renting the tm 822 from comcast.At least they support it in southern New jersey were I am from. Regions also have a lot to do with which modem will be actived.  I dont see any difference in speed on my end here with the tm 722. That is the only one that was avalaible at the best buys near me. I hope this answered some of your questions.

Connection Expert
EG

toyotatacomaman wrote:

comcast will not activate modems unless purchase at best buys and sold by a comcast represenative at best buys.

FWIW, from what we've been seeing lately here and at some other forums, this policy seems to be changing somewhat in some market areas.

Visitor
toyotatacomaman

I try to buy the tm822 on december 22 2012, my local best buys only had the tm 722 at the time , i Settled for that. I did not see and speed change fron the rented tm 822 to the older tm 722. At this present time in south jersey best buys is the only one you can buy a modem that will be activate by comcast. this may be different for comcast locations. I am in washington twp nj 08012 area

Connection Expert
EG

toyotatacomaman wrote:

this may be different for comcast locations.

Exactly. :smileywink:

Visitor
KSLoh

I finally got my TM822G activated with all 3 services. I am still puzzle as to why it was so difficult. It took me 3 days of back and forth phone calls with Comcast services. Thank you to all.

Visitor

Maybe it depends where you live. I live in Stockton Ca. and rented a arris TM822 and works great.

Connection Expert
EG

Eight month old thread now closed.