New Visitor
Chelovek2010

REplacing Comcast Internet & Telephone Modem

I would like to replace my leased Comcast internet & telephone service modem with a purchased unit to avoid monthly charges.  I see the Arris TM722 DOCSIS 3.0 is recommended. 

Where can I purchase this modem - Best Buy, Amazon et. al. do not show same in response to a search on TM722?

The Comcast modem feeds my house phone line and a router for home internet connectivity & firewall.  The Comcast-installed equipment works just fine, but, as I said, the monthly charges really pile up.  Do I just swap the wires from the same-labeled ports from the existing modem to a new (and different model) modem, or will I likely have to register the modem with Comcast, do some tweaking, what ????

Any tips to ofer for this process?

Thank you to the group for your consideration and assistance.

Gary

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: REplacing Comcast Internet & Telephone Modem

[ Edited ]

Hi Gary,

You can only buy the TM 722g from a BestBuy that has a Comcast Connection Center, and then only if they allow it in your market. You'd have to call and see.

Even if they allow it, it will need a paid tech visit to install it.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Voice-Service-and-Equipment/Customer-Owned-Arris-722G-FAQ/td-p/863369

New Visitor
rooster1963

Re: REplacing Comcast Internet & Telephone Modem

Go to a Best Buy store that has a Comcast Center. Go back and see the Comcast employees...they are in red Comcast shirts/sweaters. Tell them you want to purchase a modem for both your Comcast internet and phone services. They will hook you up with the correct modem. It cost me $150 + sales tax.  I figured this will save me the $7 monthly modem rental fee I've been paying to Comcast each month.  It will pay for itself in 23 months...plus it is a faster modem (3.0 vs. 2.0  DOCSIS). YOU WILL NOT NEED A COMCAST TECHNICIAN TO INSTALL THIS MODEM.  I  JUST FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS PROVIDED IN THE MODEM BOX AND DID IT MYSELF. YOU JUST NEED TO CALL COMCAST'S 800 # TO ACTIVATE THE NEW MODEM AFTER YOU HOOK IT UP. I do not consider myself an installation expert or electronic/internet guru so if I can do it so can almost anyone else.