Contributor
divadias

RNG110 and DHCP

I have an RNG110 HD receiver. I would like to use the Comcast Android App with it (as well as the Comcast web site), but when connected, the unit acts as a DHCP server and gives out addresses in the 192.168.100.x range, as well as having its own fixed IP in this range  - .1 I believe, but maybe .254. Whatever.

Of course having a 2nd DHCP server on my network is problematic, so I have had to disconnect the RNG110.

How can DHCP be turned off and either a fixed IP in my network's range assigned, or better yet have the RNG110 receive an IP address from my DHCP server?

Thank you

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: RNG110 and DHCP

[ Edited ]

The RNG110's ethernet port is not enabled for use, do not connect it to your home network as it will be dishing out DHCP ip's stepping on the existing IP addresses.  the ethernet port is not needed or used.

This feature is not available on any Comcast set top box even with the ethernet port is built into the box.

Contributor
divadias

"This feature is not available on any Comcast set top box even with the ethernet port is built into the box."

Hmm... That is confusing for me. This is the 2nd box I have add. The first was an older box, HD but no HDMI port. That is why I swapped for a newer unit. The first unit worked perfectly regarding the network and being controlled from the Internet or from the Droid App.

You are however certainly correct that the RNG110 is stepping on the existing IP addresses, but the features I am looking for are apparently available in some units - older ones at that.

It appears that the ethernet port is enabled, but unfortunately so is the DHCP server. The question is, how can this function be turned off?

Thank you for the reply.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The ethernet ports are not enabled on any box and is not needed.  There is no reason for a ethernet connection to any cable box at this time.  They are not supported and Comcast will not enable or disable them.  Some boxes do give out IP's, but they do not communicate with anything.

Comcast is not using the set top boxes ethernet port for any internet access.

Contributor
divadias

Thanks for replying and I really don't mean to be rude but I have personal experience otherwise.

Perhaps somebody else can help to move this topic along?

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

As far as I know, Jay is entirely correct, the ethernet port on the Comcast set top boxes are NOT usable.  It simply does not work as you want.  I have no idea what your personal experience is, but my experience and the experience of many others is the ports are not usable.

Contributor
divadias

Please see here,

"App and Mobile Support XFINITY TV App Frequently Asked Questions":

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/help/technical-support/tv-control/

Overview

What can I do with XFINITY TV app?

XFINITY TV app puts a world of entertainment right at your fingertips. You can find your favorite shows and movies, control your TV, and schedule DVR recordings.

Find what to watch in just a few taps

* Browse TV listings customized to your area
    * Browse an On Demand library featuring thousands of titles
    * Search for a particular show from TV listings and On Demand titles
    * Filter shows and movies by genre, network, HD, free and more

Remotely control your TV and DVR

* Conveniently change channels right on your TV from the app
    * Play On Demand titles to watch on your TV
    * Schedule DVR recordings of your favorite shows and movies

And then further down,

Is my cable box compatible with XFINITY TV app?

Once you’ve signed in, XFINITY TV app will check your area for availability and then scan your home cable boxes for compatibility (TV & DVR control). Your compatible boxes will be listed on XFINITY TV app.

If you’re in an available area but have an incompatible box, you’ll have an opportunity to upgrade. And you can still use XFINITY TV app to browse TV and On Demand listings, quickly search for your favorite shows and movies, and easily filter by what you watch most.

The following cable box models are compatible with XFINITY TV app:

* Motorola DCT 700
    * Motorola DCT 2500
    * Motorola DCH 70
    * Motorola DCH 100
    * Motorola DCH 200
    * Motorola DCT 6200
    * Motorola DCT 6208
    * Motorola DCT 6412
    * Motorola DCT 6216
    * Motorola DCT 3412
    * Motorola DCT 3416
    * Motorola DCT 5100
    * Motorola DCH 3200
    * Motorola DCH 3416
    * Motorola DCH 6200
    * Motorola DCH 6416
    * Motorola DCX 32xx
    * Motorola DCX 34xx
    * Motorola DCX 32xx-M
    * Motorola DCX 34xx-M
    * PACE Vegas 575
    * PACE Vegas CC 577
    * PACE RNG 110

All of this was available to me on my early model MOTOROLA HD reciever except for the DVR stuff, of course, so I can confirm that this works in my area - east coast, central Florida.

So I think it reasonable to ask if anybody knows how to disable DHCP on a PACE RNG 110 as well as how to change the other network settings. Searching for content from a computer or the Droid app was so much easier than the clunky on-screen menus provided by Comcast!

Again, Thank you for your replies. It would be nice to get to the bottom of this.

Contributor
divadias

An update...

I have inserted a router between the RNG110 and the rest of my home network and am now able to access the RNG110 from the Xfinity web site as well as from my Droid. The router gets it WAN IP from my network and its LAN IP from the RNG110.

So this is working. The LAN port is active and accessible, but really, this would be much cleaner if we could just turn off DHCP on the RNG110. There is a web interface on this unit at 192.168.100.1, but what is the username/pasword for this unit? I have googled but can find nothing on default logins for this.

Anybody? What is the default login for the web interface on the RNG110?

Thanks again...

Official Employee
ComcastNick

The Xfinity mobile app doesn't need anything connected to the ethernet port on your cable box.

All the data the box needs comes through the coaxial line, you should be able to register your box online with the app and your account information, and control the channel/VOD through the app like you could with your old box. 

I believe it takes up to 24 hours to sync with the app with the new box.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor, Ann Arbor
Escalations and Help Desk
Contributor
divadias

Wow, that would be great! Except I swear that this only works if the Ethernet port is connected. I have 2 boxes and only 1 is connected to the network. This is the one that I can control. The other can't be seen at all.

I am starting to feel like I'm in some sort of twilight zone. Really guys, I'm not making this stuff up! lol!

Seriously, how can I register the box on line when it is not being seen?

Contributor
divadias

Again, thanks to the 3 of you for responding.

Nick, you seem to have gotten closest when you say that it takes up to 24 hours. In my case, it seems to have been a fair bit longer.

As I wrote, I got one of the units on the Internet by using a router. At that point it was able to be controlled by the app. I had not tried the 2nd unit for a few days.

This morning I tried the 2nd unit again and 'miraculously' it works also! I have now disconnected the 1st unit from the Internet and also 'miraculously', it works.

So, I have to acknowledge that all 3 of you were correct. The Ethernet port is not required for this to work. Certainly not at this point.

Did connecting the 1st box to the Internet speed up the process? It would certainly seem so, at least in my case. The unit was immediately recognized as a 'new' unit upon connection and I was immediately able to control it, though the 2nd box remained uncontrolled at that point.

Would it have happened anyway? I can only assume so, based upon what you all had to say and the fact that I can now control the 2nd unit as well.

Again, thanks for the help!

Official Employee
ComcastNick

I am glad it worked out for you in the end.  I could have been wrong about the 24 hours, or it just could have taken longer that planned.

I don't think connecting it to the ethernet had any effect on the box activating, it sounds like the first box just took longer than it should have, and the 2nd box activated normally.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor, Ann Arbor
Contributor
divadias

Yes, I am glad as well. The only other comment I would make is to reitterate the apparent connection between hooking up to the Internet and the app recognizing a new device. But whatever, none of us need to spend any more time on something that is working.

On another note, and as long as I have you for just a moment, are the login credential to the web interface confidential? I am assuming that they are, yes?

Thanks once agin.

Official Employee
ComcastNick

divadias wrote: 

On another note, and as long as I have you for just a moment, are the login credential to the web interface confidential? I am assuming that they are, yes?

Thanks once agin.

Yes, the login username/password is confidential.

It is the same information that gives you access to your billing/account information and emails

Comcast Nick
Supervisor, Ann Arbor
Contributor
divadias

I am not sure I was clear - I mean the login to the web interface (192.168.100.1) of the RNG110...

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Ahh, okay.

That, I actually have no idea about the password set up.

The Ethernet port on those is marked "future use", so I assume there are plans to eventually use it, but they are currently not used by us for anything. 

I would guess the password there is the manufacturer's default.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor, Ann Arbor
New Visitor
AriW

Divadias,

The web interface you see at 192.168.100.1 is provided by your cable modem, not the Pace cable box. You may want to Google the model of your cable modem and see if you can find a default username/password from there.

(sorry to bump such an old post!)