Contributor
jesferkicks

Re: Internet Connection Drops off Many Times Daily

I guess I writing this in the right place, zilch for instructions here.  anyway, I too, have been having this stuff for near a month, talked to a comcast rep, he couldnt figure anything and just left the chat.  I see half a dozen "same remarks"  where is comcast?  Don't they monitor this thread?  Seems to be the one to monitor.  Considering walking down the road for another cable/isp pretty soonly

Connection Expert
JamesR

Naa this is pretty much peer to Peer cuatomer helpint customer

If you want to tell us what your problem is and what the Model mumbers of your equipment is, we will try to assist you in the resolution of your issue.

Connection Expert
EG

Self troubleshoooting "instructions" are at the top of the board page.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Please give us more information:

1) Please connect your computer directly to the modem via Ethernet ( no router, no wireless, no USB )
2) Run ShaperProbe and post your results. (It works with Win 7)
3) Post your upstream and downstream signal levels (click the link.) We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR).
4) Let us know to what speed tier you subscribe.
5) Post the make a model of your modem.
6) Post your modem's error logs.

Contributor
jesferkicks

Ok.  The dropoffs have been everyday/night for a solid 3 weeks or so.  Sometimes once for 10 minutes, sometimes rapid fire, off for seconds, on for a few minutes, off, etc.

Modem is Motorola SB 5120 rented from Comcast.  Yesterday during a drop off I reset the modem and here's its log thereafter:

Modem log (after reset) when net being dropped:

Initialization Complete - Modem is Operational
SNMP: Working in SNMP V1/2c Only NmAccess mode
Code: B601.0  SA Map State Machine Started
Code: B605.10  Map Reject - Downstream Traffic Flow Not Mapped to BPI+SAID
DS multicast is not mapped to SAID
Code: B601.0  SA Map State Machine Started
Code: B605.10  Map Reject - Downstream Traffic Flow Not Mapped to BPI+SAID
DS multicast is not mapped to SAID
Code: R.2.0  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

During such outage times I can't even ping my gateway.  Total NO net action.  If you can help, I'd sure appreciate it. :smileygrin:

Contributor
jesferkicks

Opps, replied before scrolling down I'll run the Shapeprobe thing post haste.

Contributor
jesferkicks

Ok.  Signal read: 

Down:  s/n = 36 db  power = 0 dbmV

Up:  symbol = 5.12 Msym/s  power = 43 dbmV

Think the customer rep said she was setting me up with  8 down, cant remember up and have 0 clue where to find out.

ShaperProbe:

DiffProbe beta release. October 2009. Build 1002.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 74.63.50.21.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 3173 Kbps.
Downstream: 29508 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 4523-4561 KB;
Shaping rate: 2090 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 8356-8935 KB;
Shaping rate: 15829 Kbps.

Contributor

Have you heard anything more on this. I am getting the same sort of things.

My shaperprobe shows

DiffProbe beta release. October 2009. Build 1002.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 4.71.251.149.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4265 Kbps.
Downstream: 24599 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 4857-4935 KB;
Shaping rate: 2128 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9594-10030 KB;
Shaping rate: 15978 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

I can't get signal levels or error logs off my cable modem as it brings up a username password thing when I go to the 192.168.100.1 place. It is a D-Link DCM-202. Ever since I registered it with Comcast I haven't been able to log into my own retail purchased cable modem. (But that's a whole different kettle of fish.)

Thanks in advance.

Contributor
jesferkicks

Where?

Contributor
jesferkicks

@Jethric

Nope, they just faded out like the tech rep on Comcast Help Chat did.  I'm with ya tho, this is frustrating. 

Things I've found out so far are just more forums:

Been told to check everything on this list:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/Troubleshooting-Suggestions-for-Connection-...

Then armed with that information go here:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity-and-Modem-Help/Information-Required-for-Connection-related...

Along one of your problems of can't get in to 192.168.100.1 this might be of a help:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3361
(Personally I'd call Comcast and %$#@ like crazy if they created a login/pswd on YOUR modem and tell them to remove it or you're going to burn their freakin' building down)

Lastly I headed over to Broadband DSL Reports to use their tools to make sure this problem is Comcast and not me.  http://www.dslreports.com

If I ever get any solution I'll come back here and post them, do the same would ya?

Jesferkicks

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

jesferkicks wrote:

Ok.  Signal read: 

Down:  s/n = 36 db  power = 0 dbmV

Up:  symbol = 5.12 Msym/s  power = 43 dbmV

Sorry it took so long to reply - I've been pretty busy the past few days - with all the flooding here in PA...Anyhow your signal levels look fine and ShaperProbe reports you have 16/2. Everything appears to be working fine. You could have an intermittent noise issue or the modem may need to be replaced.

Contributor

In answer to Where: Fremont, CA.

I'm about to switch to a Zoom 5341 and see if that helps.

The issues with the 'several disconnects every hour' only started up over the past couple of weeks. And it is getting very, very annoying.

Contributor

Okay, plans to get the zoom 5143 fell through (long story there - I am unhappy with both Comcast tech support and best buy at the moment.)

But, on the upside, I got past the stupid restriction I had with getting into the signal/error log for my D-Link DCM-202. So I have my information. I am going to put it in a new message out on the forum as directed with all the information in one message. Thanks folks. I do believe this is a Comcast issue, NOT a modem issue, but I could be wrong. It has been about 6 months since the last tech came out. And these issues are NOT like the issues back then. Those were line issues.

New Visitor
sidmonee911

Hey Jethric,

I was experiencing issues very similar to what you are encountering at the moment.  Since I work from home being as an online instructer this was a major issue for me. 

A few things below that I had checked or replaced when comcast sent out their techs.

-bypass the splitter (seeing if the issue continues)

-replaced the splitter

-replaced the modem (i'm currently using comcast ubee docsis 3.0)

-checked the lines into the house (obvious but more on this later :smileywink:)

-checked the lines leading to the poles

-had the tech replace all the connectors

-checked for any bends in the lines

In my case it turned out to be something kind of obvious but I was assuming the tech had checked initially.  Which the line leading to my room was new however it was cut off at some point and connected to my old line inside my closet.  Well folks it turned out that old line which sits under my carpet had some punctures from the carpet nails and had caused the issue all along. The tech just ran a full new line completely into my room and so far no disconnects within the past 48 hours (knocking on wood) . 

Hope this helps provide some more insight on possible causes.

Best of luck!

Contributor

@sidmonee911

Thanks for your feedback.

While on the phone with tech today...

-connected line from far side of splitter (that splits the signal off for my cable TV in the room), and still have issue (I am connected that way while I am typing this, and it's still happening as it happened while typing this.)

(BTW, splitter is one supplied and connected to things by the tech back in 2007 when last one was out here.)

I could have lived without TV in my room as I don't watch it at the same time as I compute. I watch TV elsewhere in the house.

-As stated in my main consoladated tread, I tried a Zoom 5143 Docsis 3.0 modem today, and it has a worse time with things.

-Lines were last checked back in 2007. They will be checked again tomorrow when the tech comes out.

I'm going to do some more internal investigations between now and when the tech comes tomorrow and see what I learn. Look to my main consoladated thread for what I learn. I will post it there.My guess is that a 'filter' will get placed on my line to try to get the Upstream signal strength 'down' into the acceptable range.

Contributor

What if you are dropped for like an hour at a time? I do not want to have to go through all the instructions above to have to spend all that time checking on this and that. This was happening for about a year at my location, and everytime I called, the techs found there was nothing wrong on my end, but yes, there's an outage in your area and they did NOT know the reason.

Things were good for awhile, and now it's startinbg back up again. It happened last wk for over an hour. I was just down today for over an hour, could have been more as I got tired of waiting. I didn't call again because I always get the same old answers. It's NOT on my end. Yet, I'm paying $52+/month for cable that braggs to never "drop" us. Right!  

What I want to know is...am I being dropped on purpose for high usage? Ever since I put Constant Guard on my laptop, I'm constantly getting a mssg via my Chrome browser that I'm "high usage." Why is that only happening since I put on the Constant Guard? I feel like Comcast is becoming Big Brother...and not the TV show either. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

skeeter204 wrote:

I do not want to have to go through all the instructions above to have to spend all that time checking on this and that.

Then why are you here? We can't help you if you won't help yourself.

Contributor
jesferkicks

@skeeter204

Doubt if your being dropped for high usage, comcast stated how much gig we could have, cant remember how much, sumthin gig, but I think they just send u a note to cease & desist first.  Believe the notice you were getting is a certain program was using a high level of your cpu time, at least thats the note I was getting b4 I uninstalled all comcast programs.  Wasn't impressed by them, although so far I've kept the Norton suite they give us within our subscription.  Your and my drops are different.  My drops are for seconds or minutes and happen throughout the day, 30 to 60 (estimate) times a day.  I to haven't got an answer as of yet and I haven't changed any hardware here at home.  So, I understand your frustration brother.  We'll get answer some time.  Keep on keepin' on.  Jesferkicks

New Visitor
jjd49

I have had a similar problem that started about 2 months ago after an electrical storm in northern Colorado. I work from home and am online 10 hours a day, so I've seen many variations of this. Connection drops for about a minute, then the cable modem resets and the connection is back. Sometimes it happens serveral times in a row. Some days it happens 1 to 5 times a day, other days 10-20 times a day, other days it doesn't happen at all. But it usually happens at least 3 days a week.

Comcast tech came to the house and checked everything, but didn't have an answer.

• He suggested my router was too slow and it should be replaced...did that and still had the problem.
  • He also suggested exchanging the Comcast cable modem...did that and still had the problem.
  • He also said my house wiring was downgrading the incoming signal and it might be causing the problem. The house wiring hasn't caused an internet connection problem in the 5+ years that I've had the Comcast internet service, but I purchased 100 ft of coax and I plan to bypass my house wiring the next time I see the connection problem. It has been 2 weeks now, and I haven't had any connection problems, so either my house wiring as healed itself, or Comcast fixed a problem on their side. 

I was curious if Comcast admitted there was a problem, so I did a web search and found your forum.

Contributor
jesferkicks

@jjd49

In answer to your basic question .... nope, I haven't heard Comcast admit they might have a problem.

LoL, if I didn't need this connect, it would be amusing.  Already had to not accept one new writing job because of this connect.  Yeah, my problem is approx 2-3 months old now.  No storms though in Central California.  And yup, the variations you state are right on target.

At least you've got a tech out.  I did the obligatory call 800.934.6489.  Got two return calls that both missed me by minutes (one time on the throne) and both my return calls to the left numbers were met with "nobody available to answer this here phone bud, call later".  How fast do they want me to finish my bathroom business anyway? 

Judging by what you report and others, the come-to-see-you techs are black box technicians anyway and will replace modems, splitters, and then feed you some bafflized bs about your (run through my walls cat 5 line) has all of a sudden gotten tired.  Sure, bud, right.  I'm beginning to think Comcast doesn't have anyone hired that can fix this problem.  Tow months with multiple people reporting darn near exact problems and those are just the people who can figure out what a forum is, can imagine how many other peeps are having problems

Anyway, the modem back to my computer seems to be ship-shape.  I'm getting dropped 20 to 50 times a day.  Losing work.  Time to boogie.  Saw a workvan with Surewest Internet yesterday on the road.  Right after I post this, me and Google are going to find these guys, see if they're a little better.   Good luck on yours, I give up here.

Jesferkicks out            Push to Test ... Release to Detonate!

New Visitor
johnatl1

I've had the same issues for at least a year.  I've had techs out on a number of occasions, and they have replaced all the wiring in the house.  It seems to come and go.  Recently it was happening multiple times a day in the evening, so I replaced all of my equipment.  I found a post that said your modem may not be provisioned correctly if you experience intermittent outages.

When my signal goes out, I cannot get online for 15-90 seconds (approx).  Then I end up on a comcast setup screen.  Then when I keep refreshing the browser, I end up on some NT login screen from comcast.  I am running a Mac...

Oddly enough, I also have intermittent issues with my 3 Tivos.  This must be a comcast issue that they refuse to acknowledge.  Customer support is no help.  Techs are of little help.  What gives?

New Visitor

I am having the same problem. Below is my equipment and the troubleshooting up to this point.

Once I reboot the modem it works for 1-2 days then loses signal again.

1. Modem- Motorola SB6120

2. Linksys WRT160N Router

3. Comcast Internet Only - Performance- 20meg

Technician measured outside of the house and said signal is good to the house but says at my modem is low. Suggested replacing the interior cabling. Any suggestions on type of cable or specs?

New Visitor
jjd49

In my last post I mentioned "I purchased 100 ft of coax and I plan to bypass my house wiring the next time I see the connection problem." and at that time, my problem went away.

Since that post the problem came back again last Nov. So I used that coax to bypass my house wiring and connected my cable modem directly to the comcast cable that enters my house at the network interface box (where the comcast tech had told me I had an excellent signal). It didn't fix anything, I had the same intermittent problem. So I decided my house wiring is just fine.

After another week or so, the connection problems went away and it hasn't occurred since then. So I assume it was something in the comcast network that was causing my problem.