New Visitor
Ghost0038

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request

well it seems that Comcast has a major issue that noone can seem to fix. My issue started with their modem. Wasnt fixed and I got tired of paying $7 a month to rent an outdated piece of hardware. I went and picked up a Motorola SBG901. Same issue. Wireless through the SBG901 is disabled as I run a Netgear WNDR3400 router to broadcast wirless and hard wire my gaming machine. I reveived a call back from Comcast to make sure my issue was resolved. Boy did she call at the wrong time. Now I have Comcast maintenance coming out on Tuesday. 

Here is the start up info on my SBG901 

Startup Procedure Procedure Status Comment Acquire Downstream Channel   Locked Connectivity State OK Operational Boot State OK Operational SecurityEnabled BPI+

Downstream Channel Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM256 Channel ID 8 Symbol rate 5360537 Downstream Frequency 597000000 Hz Downstream Power -7.3 dBmV SNR36.3 dB    

Upstream Channel Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM16 Channel ID 7 Symbol rate 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream Frequency 22600000 Hz Upstream Power46.7 dBmV

According to what I have found all those levels are within spec. So we shall see. The SBG901 is a month old and I have already exchanged it once. I totally believe that I am having this issue from their end - not mine. 

IDEAS? 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request

[ Edited ]

Gateways suck. We spend a lot of time on these forums telling ppl to get rid of them. I don't know if that is your problem, but in the future, just buy a straight modem and a router. FWIW I've seen a number of posts regarding the SBG901 not working properly with no apparent solution. If I was in your shoes I'd rent a modem from Comcast for a month just to eliminate the modem as a potential problem.

Regular Contributor
shuck1

I think uneducated people dont know how to use gateways I dont have any problems with my tg852 arris device works like a champ!!!

-CS

Regular Problem Solver

shuck......

Consider yourself blessed!!!

There have been MANY people posting here with problems related to gateway devices.....they ARE plagued with quirks.....and placing (most of) them in bridge mode appears to remedy the situation for most...but it;s really a "baid-aid" approach to actually solving the problem -- it defeats having the convenience of a "2-in-1" device!!!

This is why MOST of us have a separate modem and router.....it just works more reliably, most of the time!!!

To each his own......!

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Not nice dude... What's to know ? It isn't "rocket science"....

New Visitor
WmTRiker

The issue is NOT the gateway, as I have the same modem with the same problem HOWEVER this problem existed prior to me getting this modem. I had a different, non-gateway style modem connected to a seperate router, and had the same problem then. I put up with it. Eventually that modem died, so I bought a Motorola SBG901. NOW what I have is two networks, the new one via the modem and the old one via the router. I also have a Vonage box. When I lose my internet signal, EVERYTHING goes out, including the Vonage box which is hardwired to the modem. Keep in mind it also did this BEFORE getting the gateway.

BTW, my approximate levels are: Downstream SNR = 35 dB; Downstream Power = -13 dBmV; Upstream Power = 52.2 dBmV. I connected my modem directly to the input into the house (bypassing and thus eliminating all house wiring/splitters) and the levels were: Downstream SNR = 38 dB: Downstream Power = 3.4 dBmV; Upstream Power = 40.0 dBmV. Doing this resulted in a distinct improvement, especially in regards to the Downstream Power. My next step is to move the modem closer to the input (after the outdoor splitter and utilizing the shortest wire run from there) and see what levels I get.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Your signal levels are terrigble. This is usually from too many splitters or substandard splitters/wiring. I think your plan to move the modem is solid.

Generally, an acceptable signal range for a modem is:

Downstream (forward path): -7 to +7 dBmV.

Upstream: (return path):  >40 dBmV but <50 dBmV . Some systems tolerate levels as low as 35 dBmV.

Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): >33 dB (higher is better)

New Visitor
sana2

I think the problem is internal interference of wi-fi transmitter and modem. I had the same problem. I decreased the wireless transmission power to 50% and it is solved. 

Login into your modem and select "wireless" then decrease the power to 50%.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

What does wireless connectivity have to do with obvious modem WAN RF signal issues of the second poster ?

Neither poster has returned so this five month old thread is now being closed.