Contributor

Renting modem from Comcast VS buying modem

Hi:

I'm renting a modem from Comcast for my high speed internet connection.  I was wondering if it would be better and cheaper in the long run, to just buy a modem rather than renting one.  Is there any advantage to renting the modem from Comcast?
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Renting modem from Comcast VS buying modem

Davis9 wrote:

Hi:

I'm renting a modem from Comcast for my high speed internet connection.  I was wondering if it would be better and cheaper in the long run, to just buy a modem rather than renting one.  Is there any advantage to renting the modem from Comcast?

The advantage of renting over buying is that if it breaks, Comcast will replace it for free. The disadvantage is the monthly payments.
New Visitor

I converted a couple of years ago from a rented modem to one I owned. No problems and I am saving about $60 a year. I have a Toshiba PCX1100U that I bought on eBay for about $30 delivered. I get data rates of up to 6 mega bits/sec through this modem. It is true that if you rent from Comcast they are responsible for the whole connection and can't point the finger at your modem if something is wrong. On the other hand a PCX1100U is so cheap, you could buy a spare.
Most Valued Poster
rickmac

Simple math may help you make a decision.

What is Comcast charging for that modem? $5 a month?

I bought a modem and have been using it for 5+ years. Has worked great, despite Comcast always wanting to blame my equipment for any cable problems.

so 5 years X 12 months = 60 months

$5 x 60 months = $300

Current price of cable modems around $50 - $70.
"Neo, you must understand, there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." Morpheus - The Matrix
Regular Contributor

If you have a fast, stable connection and are not having problems, buying your own modem makes a lot of economic sense, as indicated above.

But if you're working through issues, this makes it way too easy for Comcast to blame your stuff and be even less helpful than usual.