New Visitor
Blueskygt
Accepted Solution

Replace Comcast modem (How much does it cost?)

I purchased a new modem to replace that leased-modem from comcast.Does it cost any to replace a modem ? (like $25 installation fee) or it doesn't cost anything ? I just need to call comcast to update the MAC number over the phone ? and it is free of charge ?Thanks

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Replace Comcast modem (How much does it cost?)

Is it just a straight HSI modem or do you have their CDV phone service with a telephony type modem/eMTA ?

New Visitor
Blueskygt

[ Edited ]

I bought this new modem from a comcast dealer, I put the model and the link below.

ubee™ Data Cable Modem ( Model: U10C018 )

http://comcastspecial.com/

You can see the ubee data cable modem picture on that homepage...

Thanks

PS. I only subscribed to an internet service from Comcast, and that modem purchased, I believe, is just going to replace the original comcast modem..

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Just hook it up in place of your old modem and give Comcast a call. EG is trying to ask you if you have Comcast Digital Voice - because if you do, it complicates things.

New Visitor
Blueskygt

Thanks.

So it shouldn't cost anything to replace it ? after giving a call ?

I think, Comcast is going to update the MAC number of that new modem ?

Networking Expert
Baric

Correct, no cost to you except for whatever you paid for the modem itself.  When you call Comcast, they will register the modem's MAC address and serial number and you should be good to go.  In some areas you can even do it yourself, just open up your browser and any site you hit will be redirected to the Comcast registration pages.  Note this only works in some areas, for all others, you call.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

When you take your old Comcast modem in, make sure you get and keep the receipt in a safe place. It has been known for them to carry on charging the rental fee, even though their modem has been returned. :smileywink:

New Visitor
clive48

I called Comcast to register my new modem and after spelling out the model number several times, I was put on hold for 20 minutes just to be told that to activate my new modem I had to bring it and my comcast modem to a service center where they would register my new modem and take back theirs. Terrible service!