Contributor
Accepted Solution

Replace Comcast modem

I only have Comcast internet service and I was wondering if I could replace the current Comcast modem ($7 per month rental) with one I can buy outright? If so, is it difficult to do for a novice? Thanks

Regular Contributor
Erik_1

Re: Replace Comcast modem

[ Edited ]

Yes, very difficult..

Not its easy.  Buy yourself a new modem and bring it home connect up the new modem and call in to customer service.  They will ask you for the mac address of the modem.  They will get it activated or tell you how to activate it yourself. Then once done, if you need someone to come out and get the rented modem schedule that at the same time.

Connection Expert
EG

You may be able to get the new modem provisioned for service by just by opening up your browser. You should see the Walled Garden "Modem Registration Page" where you can input the required information. May I recommend that you purchase a DOCSIS 3 capable modem such as the Motorola SB6120 so as to 'future proof' your purchase. You should be good to go for a long time with a D3 modem.

Regular Visitor

I was using a linksys cable modem for several years and did not have any problems.  I later installed a linksys wireless router  and all was fine.  l ater I switched to the comcast triple play, and because of the change from AT&T comcast had to install their modem for the telephone.  I was then using the comcast modem for the phone only and my lynksys modem and lynksys wireless router.  I had miles of caples behind my desk and I wanted to remove as much wiring as possible so I removed my linksys modem, connected the comcast cable modem and my lynksys wireless router to my comuter and all is great.  In short, with just internet, you can use your own modem, and quit paying comcast.

Connection Expert
EG

boregard9 wrote:

I was using a linksys cable modem for several years and did not have any problems.  I later installed a linksys wireless router  and all was fine.  l ater I switched to the comcast triple play, and because of the change from AT&T comcast had to install their modem for the telephone.

An eMTA (embedded Multimedia Teminal Adapter is 'required' for their "first party" CDV (Comcast Digital Voice) service. 

I was then using the comcast modem for the phone only and my lynksys modem and lynksys wireless router.  I had miles of caples behind my desk and I wanted to remove as much wiring as possible so I removed my linksys modem, connected the comcast cable modem and my lynksys wireless router to my comuter and all is great.  In short, with just internet, you can use your own modem, and quit paying comcast.

Seems that you were lucky that the tech provisioned the HSI (High Speed Internet) segment of the eMTA for service in the first place. That's why it worked. The HSI and CDV services have seperate and distinct provisioning.

Contributor

Thanks for your help

Contributor

Thanks for your help. Got me looking at Amazon for the Motorola modem. Seems a lot of Comcast customers couldn't get it to work even after having a Comcast installer come to the house to install. Others no problem. The Linksys modem seems to be the one that works best with Comcast according to Amazon customers But thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Contributor

You confirm Amazon customers review that Linksys is the answer. Thanks

Contributor

Seems Linksys gets the "high five" as the problem solver. Thanks

Connection Expert
EG

Not necessarily. Motorolas also have a rep for being solid performers on CC.

Regular Contributor
jstorm001

I bought the Motorola SBG6580 the other day its pretty awesome Has built in N router works great !! my speed's are so much better i bought this to replace my Motorola SB5120 modem & Netgear N router best thing i ever bought this SBG6580 does have some bad reviews from what i saw online but i dont know what there talking about it work's awesome!!!  These's people must not know whats there doing! I bought it from best buy  plus i only have one hardware now since everything is built in.

Contributor

Your right. Bought Motorola SB6120  since it was high on Comcast's approved list. Also it is D3.

Thanks

Networking Expert
kevj

jstorm001 wrote:

plus i only have one hardware now since everything is built in.

There are disadvantages...It is more difficult to determine if any problems are at the modem or router level...with seperate devices, you can isolate the source of a problem pretty easily. If the combo unit goes bad you don't have any way to get online (unless you kept your old kit). With seperate devices, if the router goes bad, you can still connect a PC directly to the modem and get internet access from one device until you get a replacement router.

---------------------------------------
Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Agreed with KevJ. I never recommend these all in one gateway devices. Separate dedicated devices are the way to go IMO. Never put all your eggs in a single basket. In addition one needs to typically rely on their ISP to keep the firmware for these devices updated. And the ISP's edition of firmware is usuallly minimally user configurable/customizable.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a recommendation based on my personal experience; while maybe not the best price, buy a modem locally at a place like Best Buy. I had a Motorola SB6120 leased modem and since the monthly price went up to $7/month, I decided to finally try to flat out buy the modem.

Best Buy had a sale on the exact same modem I had (DOCSIS 3 Motorola SB6120) for about $85 so I decided to go for it. Well, I couldn't get it to perform at the same level as my leased SB6120. For some odd reason, it wouldn't download AND upload at the same time. If I ever tried to upload pictures & then try to download some kind of file, it would create problems for the upload. I never had this issue with the leased Motorola SB6120 & was always able to perform both tasks at the same time with great efficiency.

People on this forum told me to contact Comcast to make sure I had the right config file loaded in the modem and that Comcast could do this, but that was useless. Several Comcast techs I talked to said they could only reprovision the modem and there was nothing else that could be done. They all seemed clueless on what a "config file" for my modem was. Reprovisioning the modem didn't work so I simply return it to Best Buy and got another leased modem from my local Comcast office. The newly leased modem (a different brand than Motorola) worked much better. I was able to upload AND download files at the same time with no issues.

Oh well, I tried (& might try again), but I'm glad I bought it locally as it was a breeze to return. Just my experience & a suggestion. 

Regular Contributor
jstorm001

Well i never had a cable modem or router just die on me yet i have just always upgraded them & yes i still have my old SB5120 modem & N-netgear router im not going to just toss them theres notting wrong with them. i still say the SBG6580  is awesome works great its a Docsis3.0 modem with four gigabit ports with  A,B,G & N router built in

Connection Expert
EG

As long as people are happy ! :smileyhappy: Come troubleshooting time people wont be able to take the router out of the mix to eliminate it as the cause of any potential issue. Also hope that people are happy with the firmware load !

Regular Contributor
jstorm001

if it really came down to if the wifi can be disabled and you can use the 4 gigabit ports on the back as a normal modem & use a different router

BTW. first time i saw this option on a router........ on the sbg6580 you can run two wifi networks a Main & a guest or two mains if you set it up like that so you would have two SSID networks from one wifi router i thought that was pretty cool ill never use it tho no need for it.

New Visitor

Hi Folks,

I have been following this thread with great interest as I am also looking to replace the Arris Touchstone 502G modem we have been renting for $7/month.

We have Comcast bundled service with internet and phone service coming in via one coaxial cable. The Arris modem has an Ethernet port and a phone connector port. I assume that the signal is split within the modem and then sent out via Ethernet to my router and via phone line to the phones lines within the house.

I purchased a nice Motorola SB501U modem to replace the Arris, but afterwards realized there is no phone line output jack on the back panel. It appears I must find a modem that performs like the Arris (a cable and telephony/VoIP modem?), but have had no luck.

Any suggestions or am I missing the boat completely?

Cheers,

MS

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

ModemSeeker wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have been following this thread with great interest as I am also looking to replace the Arris Touchstone 502G modem we have been renting for $7/month.

We have Comcast bundled service with internet and phone service coming in via one coaxial cable. The Arris modem has an Ethernet port and a phone connector port. I assume that the signal is split within the modem and then sent out via Ethernet to my router and via phone line to the phones lines within the house.

I purchased a nice Motorola SB501U modem to replace the Arris, but afterwards realized there is no phone line output jack on the back panel. It appears I must find a modem that performs like the Arris (a cable and telephony/VoIP modem?), but have had no luck.

Any suggestions or am I missing the boat completely?

Cheers,

MS

Your only choice to purchase a Arris TM722G eMTA telephony modem is at select Best Buy stores that have Comcast Connection centers in them.

There is already a forum thread going on this subject and where to purchase the eMTA  HERE  Not all area's and markets are on board with this yet.

Return the 5101, it won't do what you want, and it is a D2 modem which it's life expectancy could run out soon.

New Visitor

Thanks for the info. Will investigate the other thread.

New Visitor
cableconsumer

Does xfinity voice work with that motorola modem?

Service Expert
Bartleby

cableconsumer,

Not sure I understand your question.  Or which motorola modem mentioned in this thread you are referring to.

To get voice service from Comcast, an eMTA is required, not just a broadband modem.  You can use such a modem for HSI access--even if an eMTA is also installed (if properly configured).  But that modem won't give the voice service.

New Visitor

I recently bundled with Comcast. I know the SB6120 works with Cable and Internet. Does it also work with Comcast telephone?

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

hamgamgee wrote:

I recently bundled with Comcast. I know the SB6120 works with Cable and Internet. Does it also work with Comcast telephone?

No.  To get Xfinity Voice, you need to add or switch to what's called an EMTA (short for Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter).  An EMTA is essential a cable modem that also has telephone capabilities via the PacketCable standard.  The SB6120 is just a DOCSIS 3 cable modem, it has no PacketCable telephony support.  Comcast will provide the EMTA and usually replace your existing cable modem.  In some circumstances, they will allow you to keep your modem for Internet, and use the EMTA for phone service only.

Oh, and your SB6120 does NOT provide Cable TV, that signal comes from the coax itself and any properly equipped TV or DVR just needs a direct coax connection.

If you wish to own your own EMTA, with Comcast you only have one choice.  Best Buy in some areas has a Comcast kiosk and there you can buy an Arris TM722G EMTA.  I understand they are pricey (~$140) and there is a $50 installation charge.  Someone correct me if the numbers are off.

New Visitor

Thank you for replying to my question about the Zoom Modem.

-hamgamgee

Contributor
Will1749

If you're using a router you will need to modify the instructions above:

First:

Power off old modem
    Remove coax and Ethernet cables from old modem and install on new
    Wire modem directly to computer until installed
    Power on new modem
    Allow the modem lights to stabilize

Then open comcast.com in your web browser (any website will do, actually). If your system allows it, you'll be presented with instructions to register the new modem online.

If the online registration fails, or if you'd rather just let Customer Service take care of it, call 1-800-Comcast.
    You'll need to provide the brand, model, serial number, and HFC MAC address of the new modem.

Then shutdown computer
    Power off router
    Power off modem
    Wait 5 minutes
    Power on modem and allow to boot
    Power on router and allow to boot
    Power on computer
    Kowabunga Jam Up Jelly Tight

Once the new modem is up and running (give it a few days), return the rental to Comcast. GET A RECEIPT AND SAVE IT FOREVER!

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Two year old thread closed.