Visitor

Replacing rental modem

Currently renting from Comcast a "Scientific-Atlanta" modem.  It connects directly to my Netgear MR814v2 wireless router which is now currently connected to 4 computers by hard wire.  Everything works. I would like to replace the modem with a purchased Motorola Surfboard Cable modem Model SB5101 or similar. After contacting Comcast, on how to do this, have gotten somewhat confusing guidance with links also to nonexistent web pages. ( I assume I can't just disconnect the old one and plug in the new one.)  I would appreciate any step by step instructions as how to do this including how  the new cable modem has to be set up so that Comcast will recognize it?  Or is that automatic because of the cable connection to the house??  I am in Arizona if that somehow makes a difference.  Thanks in advance.
Regular Problem Solver

Re: Replacing rental modem

boomerk wrote:
Currently renting from Comcast a "Scientific-Atlanta" modem.  It connects directly to my Netgear MR814v2 wireless router which is now currently connected to 4 computers by hard wire.  Everything works. I would like to replace the modem with a purchased Motorola Surfboard Cable modem Model SB5101 or similar.

The new modem does need to be provisioned on Comcast's network. If everything works as planned when you hook up the new modem, when you try to use your Web browser you'll be taken to the "Welcome to Comcast" walled garden, where you'll be prompted to enter your account information. If that doesn't work, you can call 1-800-COMCAST and have them manually provision the modem. You'll need the modem's HFC MAC address and serial number (both located on a sticker on the modem, with extra stickers in the packaging).

As an alternative, when you return your old modem to Comcast (Be sure to get a receipt!), bring along one of the extra stickers for the new modem and have them do the provisioning there. Note that the new modem should be connected and powered up while they are doing that.

Visitor

Re: Replacing rental modem

Thanks again.  That was exactly what I wanted to know!!