Contributor
marklross

Reset Modem

[ Edited ]

I know when I call support, there is an option to have a signal sent to reset the cable modem. Instead of having to call, or physically unplug the modem, is there simply a customer support page somewhere that has a link to click that requests the "reset modem" signal be sent? If not - sounds like a good idea huh? My connection speed consistently declines between the modem resets I do to get better speed....

thanks!

Speed Test Results

Connection Expert
Joe

Re: Reset Modem

Until they do the old ways still work

unplug the modem does the same thing.

If you have comcast phone service then   pushing reset on back will work

this issue you have can still be signals or a old end of life modem

for eol modem look herehttp://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

for signal

please post signals from modem click this link

Contributor
marklross

Thank you so much for your reply. Besides the great information, you fulfilled my request! At this page: http://192.168.100.1/config.htm there is a "modem reset" button that my modem responds to. So, until I decide if I need to replace it, this makes resetting it to get better speed a breeze!

Connection Expert
Joe

glad to help

the modem page will have all the info needed in case there is a signal issue or a problem with comcast end.

post back if the issue you are having get worst.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

You should not have to constantly powercycle the modem to get better speeds. This sometimes indicates a RF signal/connection quality issue. Why not post up your signal stats just for the Halibut ?

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Also, what is the exact make and model number of that modem ?

Contributor
marklross

[ Edited ]
Thanks for expressing such interest in helping me out. Here's the info: Downstream Value

Model: Motorola SB5120

Frequency 711000000 Hz  

Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB  

QAM QAM256 

Network Access Control Object ON 

Power Level -14 dBmV   

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value Channel ID 3

Frequency 30600000 Hz 

Ranging Service ID 5141 

Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/s 

Power Level 49 dBmV

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

You do indeed have an RF signal/connection quality issue. Are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ? If not, perhaps a tech visit is in order to investigate and correct.

Contributor
marklross

[ Edited ]

Oh no - I'm doomed..there is no splitter right here, under my desk, but no telling where the cable goes once it disappears into the wall....I hate having to get some on out here....I just know there's nothing definitive they will find....I will wait to see how my connection speed changes. Just now speed test shows 23.48 Mbps down after a power cycle...

Connection Expert
EG

marklross wrote:

.I just know there's nothing definitive they will find....

Why do you say that ? It may be something obvious and simple. It could even be a problem with the drop cable from the pole which they would be responsible to fix for free. Be advised that if they do find a problem with any wiring or equipment that they don't own and you do, the tech may add a repair charge at his discretion.

Contributor
marklross

I appreciate your time and opinion. I will consider calling for a service visit if my connection speed consistently slows. I don't mind resetting the modem now and again - especially using the reset button on the config web page. I have bookmarked the speed test page so I can check more often. Thanks again....

Connection Expert
Joe

Do you have cable outlet boxes in each room

when they build some house with those outlet.the main connection are in a utility closets or in a box in the basement mark TV.

Sometime just replacing the splitter in there will help ,no tech needed

Contributor
marklross

There are outlets in each room. I think the main  box is outside. Thanks for the tip. I'll check the connection there, see which comes back to the office, and make sure there aren't any splitters. Again - thanks so much to all who take the time to help troubleshoot....

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg